Colnago C40 'barn' find

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Bravo. The bike and story. Major kudos for the courtesy bar tape!
Current:
T2

Retired:
Blue | Project C6.0 | Felt AR FRD | Colnago C59 NERO | 2014 S-Works Tarmac | S-Works Venge | Wilier Cento Uno SL | Tarmac SL2

tids0009

by tids0009

The small details that go unnoticed in a bike build. The red anodized valves looked crap on this build so had to go. This is the before, during and after. once polished, put a small amount of clear 3M tape around the base of the valves so there was no rattle or annoying tick when riding.

by Weenie

boysa

by boysa

That is tremendous. I'd love to know the procedure you used. Dremel?
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

tids0009 wrote:The red anodized valves looked crap on this build so had to go.

Now that is dedication!
But surely those valve caps are weighing you down? Something something rotational mass… :wink:
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

dj97223

by dj97223

Everything about this bike is pro . . . except the valve caps. :beerchug:
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

tids0009

by tids0009

boysa wrote:That is tremendous. I'd love to know the procedure you used. Dremel?

I did it the hard way and used sand paper, course at first then went finer and finished with wet rub, then used Autosol metal polish to get the mirror finish.

Unfortunately I have to run valve caps now so you don't see the red anodizing at the top of the valves as I have no idea how to get that off around the threads.

boysa

by boysa

Thanks! I love the three red lines, but I can see how it would be annoying regarding the part at the top of the valves. Nice work.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Bondurant

by Bondurant

A beauty; I'd love to own a bike like that

dj97223

by dj97223

tids0009 wrote:
boysa wrote:That is tremendous. I'd love to know the procedure you used. Dremel?

I did it the hard way and used sand paper, course at first then went finer and finished with wet rub, then used Autosol metal polish to get the mirror finish.

Unfortunately I have to run valve caps now so you don't see the red anodizing at the top of the valves as I have no idea how to get that off around the threads.

Aren't those threads only for the valve cap? If so, then I guess it doesn't matter if you bugger them up a bit, but there probably is some dremel attachment that would work. The detail on the valve stem is a nice touch.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”