Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Colnago C40 'barn' find
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:54 pm 

Met this guy on the weekend who was around in his 80's selling something on gumtree. I went to his house to have a look at what he had for sale. He was a fairly wealthy man, not that I knew that before I met him. Anyway he told me he use to be a 'cyclist', I told him I loved Colnago's and he said he had a Colnago road bike with 'shimano' that he'd 'let go' one day. Curious I asked what Colnago he had. He said it was one of the good carbon fibre ones. I asked if I could see it. He said 'oh not at the moment'. I asked what colour is it. He said blue I think. Curious with his answers I pushed a bit harder and asked why I couldn't see it now. His response was he couldn't remember where it was. He told me to wait and he'll have a look through his garage. On the top of a storage rack inside a sliding door cupboard was a semi covered frame with no wheels or seat/seat post. He asked me to help him get it down. I was looking at this frame covered in dust and saw the Record levers and said it's got Campagnolo Record on it!! He said, oh does it. I got the frame down off the top of the cupboard and couldn't believe what I saw. I asked him for a tape measure straight away to see if it would be my size Incredibly it was EXACTLY my size. 56cm traditional. I saw all the dust and grime on this thing from not being used for so long and could see the potential once it was cleaned up and polished. I asked if he had the seat post, seat and wheels? He said I think I have them some where. He looks around in his garage further and pulls out some Campagnolo wheels bags, then antoher set, then another set!!! Inside the wheel bags was a set of very lightly used 2004 Campagnolo Hyperon Ultra clinchers, a set of 2004 Campagnolo Neutron's and a set of BRAND NEW hand built Mavic Reflex Sup Ceramic clinchers with original made in Italy Vittoria Oscar X clincher tyres from the 90's. He found the original seat post and Selle Italia Flite titanium saddle. Unfortunately it had some stupid ridiculous Bontrager carbon stem and FSA carbon bars which totally don't suit the bike.

I said to him, how much would you like to sell that for? He said what do you think it's worth? Anyway we came to an agreement, it was an offer too good to refuse, I paid cash there and then and took my new pride and joy home. He was the original owner and had the original catalogue from when he got it in 1999 and receipts. He said the bike has done around 1,000km's as he used to ride a round trip of just 12km's to get coffee with mates.

The photo's below are exactly as I bought it except for a quick clean. Over the next few months or so I am going to strip it, polish and detail the frame, degrease and re-grease all the derailleurs and service the shifters etc. and re-build it how i think it should have been built, traditional bend bars, Colnago stem, Record pedals and Ambrosio rims laced to classic record hubs.

This is the bike as it currently stands with too many spacers, crappy bars, stem and pedals

Top tube detail with not a scratch in sight, not even on the chain stay and it doesn't even have a protector on there!

Original Vittoria Oscar X 19mm tyres that are brand new

Genuine leather original selle italia Flite saddle with a slight mark on the rear of it.

Post subject: Colnago C40 'barn' find
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:54 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:25 am 

Awesome find! Have you got pictures of the wheels sets he had?

If you're in Aus, i'll gladly take the pedals off your hands.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:46 am 

I've always dreamed of finding an old guy with a barn full of stuff like that. I think the reality will be more like I'll be the old guy with the barn like that and have all these youngsters ripping me off when dementia sets in.

Nice find!! You must have been super excited... and your exact size too.

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:19 am 

Fixie82 wrote:
Awesome find! Have you got pictures of the wheels sets he had?

If you're in Aus, i'll gladly take the pedals off your hands.

I don't have photo's of all the wheels as I just got the bike and other stuff Saturday midday. I'll try and get some photo's and post them up. I'll try and do and progress timline type post where I'll document dismantling the frame, cleaning and polishing everything and sourcing the correct parts for the re-build.

I'd be happy to sell you the pedals, they look like they have only been used to try out and I'm not 100% sure as I haven't weighed them but i think they are titanium axles. I'm in Radelaide.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:23 am 

You've got a brilliant collection Calnago, I can just imagine a young guy coming to your place seeing all your immaculately built Colnago's lined up not doubt with a record of their full history and receipts too. What a 'find' that would be : ).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:52 am 

Calnago wrote:
I've always dreamed of finding an old guy with a barn full of stuff like that. I think the reality will be more like I'll be the old guy with the barn like that and have all these youngsters ripping me off when dementia sets in.

This is the absolute truth.

Nice find... very jealous!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:54 am 

@ Calnago: Please give me a call when first signs of dementia pop up! I'll be at your barn in a minute

@tids0009: Every bike enthusiasts dream finding an almost new frame in an old guys barn. I really hope this happens to me once in my lifetime. Looking forward to the build!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:57 am 

Very nice find - bike

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:23 am 

Great story & a great find, it looks in tip-top condition! :thumbup:

Getting into the Oscar spirit, this should be made into a Hollywood movie!

Michael Douglas should play the elderly gent & who should play you, tids0009? :D

I'd call it ......... "Finding Nago" ........ :mrgreen:

Thanks & looking forward to more pictures!

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:28 pm 

Lucky man!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:38 pm 

Incredible find! Just change the cockpit as you mentioned it doesnt suit the bike at all. I'd go with a new tires, old ones are not safe at all. Did you get the other Campagnolo wheels too?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:47 pm 

+1
I would only replace stem and handlebar.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:54 pm 

WOW!!! That's an epic find! Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:49 pm 

Wonderful find.
And don't count those pedals out. They are Keywin, probably the CRM model and maybe ti axels from the dust cap color. They have a cult following and are a great company with whom to do business.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:21 pm 

Such a nice find, lucky you! Seems to be in perfect condition! Love the paint job!

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:21 pm