CAAD12 Project - 6.32kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

evan326

by evan326

I got the exact same press!
Only other idea is that I've seen cannondale selling blue colored bearings that are supposed to have wider tolerances.

http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Cannon ... _4727.html

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

evan326 wrote:I got the exact same press!
Only other idea is that I've seen cannondale selling blue colored bearings that are supposed to have wider tolerances.

http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Cannon ... _4727.html

Excellent, the press is a nice piece and matches my bike :)

UPDATE...

I cleaned, regreased, and torqued, the front end, derailleur hanger, and rear wheel hub and it appears the creak could be gone but I did hear a minor creak a couple times in the short but hot 20 mile ride today. I went ahead and ordered a new X11SL chain and another seat so hopefully I can verify the creak is gone with some more rides in the next week!

:)
:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

I can tell you that my stock saddle and c3 seatpost just would not clamp quietly.
The x11sl is super quiet when it's lubed properly.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

evan326 wrote:I can tell you that my stock saddle and c3 seatpost just would not clamp quietly.
The x11sl is super quiet when it's lubed properly.

10-4... I'm going to pull out my seat post to clean and apply fresh fiber compound. I have a x11sl now but I use wax (crockpot method) and never use an oil based lube. A couple times I ran it pretty long before cleaning and re-waxing so maybe it's a little worn.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Great,good to hear that.

It's a light (thin) aluminium frame,so it transfer and make each "creak" much noisier,

12x23

by 12x23

I've had a number of noisy demons in my bicis over the past 30 years that resembled bottom bracket / crank noise but were something else.

Once, had an OCLV frame with awful creaking when out of the saddle or really working at high effort while seated. I removed the fork often enough to lube the headset bearings and stem/bar connection to enhance Finish Line's bottom line. Then one day, I removed the Helium wheelset to replace with Zipp tubies, and discovered the front wheel Mavic quick release to be just loose enough for movement and creaking. And, boy did it resonate up the fork legs.

Another example is my old SuperSix Hi-Mod. Thought forever it was the BB and discovered the Ritchey carbon seatpost was to blame. it is 350mm long and I was too lazy to trim it to a proper length. Although it was lubed with carbon paste on installation, after a few hundred miles the mystery creak would reveal itself, and always as power applied to the cranks. Once I trimmed the post and lubed it the problem was solved.

As others have said, it's sometimes difficult to get to the root cause of a creak in any of the materials, and many times the BB/Crank interface is innocent.

Good luck !!!

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

12x23 and bikemaniac.. thanks for the input and assistance. Of course I had the infamous Creakanddale BB30 paranoia but I'm also confident it's just minor other things.

srshaw

by srshaw

I had a squeak on my caad 12 as I peddled which was driving me mad, never at the start of a ride but progressively got worse. I looked at everything and couldn't find the source. It wasn't until I rode my other bike and got a similar squeak I narrowed it down to some older s works shoes. The tongue was rubbing. Thoroughly cleaning them seems to have done the trick.

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

How are the ican wheels holding up?

Great build BTW!

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

shuttlenote wrote:How are the ican wheels holding up?

Great build BTW!

Thanks, I have some new goodies that I will post up later! The ICAn wheels work great for the price. I noticed with the Williams pads I have a brake squeak on the rear wheel but the braking is so good I don't really mind. I'm also planning to try my 50mm ican wheels on the Caad12 when it stops raining and I can ride out side again.

srshaw wrote:I had a squeak on my caad 12 as I peddled which was driving me mad, never at the start of a ride but progressively got worse. I looked at everything and couldn't find the source. It wasn't until I rode my other bike and got a similar squeak I narrowed it down to some older s works shoes. The tongue was rubbing. Thoroughly cleaning them seems to have done the trick.

Good suggestion.. mine are filthy and I will clean them up and inspect. I use the same shoes on my indoor training bike and haven't noticed the noise but it's also kinda loud and perhaps the carbon bike doesn't have the same harmonics.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Couple updates... the other power pro saddle I have was a 155mm width and red, I just felt I had too much red and wanted a black saddle that was slightly smaller so I picked up this 143mm.

I also picked up a Gold KMC x11SL. I think it will look cool and will snap a photo once installed!

Lynet

by Lynet

Re creaking: just solved an annoying one on my CAAD12. It came from the seatpost clamp. Used Morgan Blue Aquaproof Paste (magic stuff!) between frame and clamp. No more weird noise!

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

She looks good with the 50's!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

This is pissing me off and it isn't my bike!
Are you sure its the BB? I heard this exact same sound and it was my chain catcher being 2mm too close and was rubbing the quick link.
Does it make the same sound with the cranks unloaded, ie on the work stand?