CAAD12 Project - 6.32kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

evan326

by evan326

What bar is it and where did you get it? I have been thinking of rolling the dice on some $45 knockoffs.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

evan326 wrote:What bar is it and where did you get it? I have been thinking of rolling the dice on some $45 knockoffs.

The bars were purchased off eBay and have very similar ergos to my 3T Ergonovas that I have on my Scott but these are more aero. My 3T's are about 210 grams so these are much heavier :(

The paint quality is crap and it's ugly anyway so I plan to wand them down for the UD look but still on the fence because of the weight! On a plus, they feel very stout and are geometrical square unlike others I have heard about.

:thumbup:
:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

I like how you snuck in that carpet.

Jowwy

by Jowwy

FLtrooper wrote:
evan326 wrote:What bar is it and where did you get it? I have been thinking of rolling the dice on some $45 knockoffs.

The bars were purchased off eBay and have very similar ergos to my 3T Ergonovas that I have on my Scott but these are more aero. My 3T's are about 210 grams so these are much heavier :(

The paint quality is crap and it's ugly anyway so I plan to wand them down for the UD look but still on the fence because of the weight! On a plus, they feel very stout and are geometrical square unlike others I have heard about.

A friend of mine bought those bars off ebay.....he removed them after one ride as he could feel them flexing under his weight downhill and through the corners. He only weighs 68kgs, so no a big lad at all

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Jowwy wrote:
A friend of mine bought those bars off ebay.....he removed them after one ride as he could feel them flexing under his weight downhill and through the corners. He only weighs 68kgs, so no a big lad at all

I actually picked these bars up as spares for my Scott and just planned to use them for this build to save cost though I went ahead and ordered some 3T Ergosum knockoffs that hopefully weigh around 200 grams for the CAAD build.

I'm unsure about your friends bars but I was comparing these bars to some syntace aluminum bars I have and these are very stiff for carbon bars which explains the 250 gram weight. I think that's the main issues with some of the lower cost Asian products is the lack of consistency and quality control.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

cobra wrote:We expect finished work

Haha of course! Just give me a little time to obtain all of the parts!

The KP-253 finally was in stock so I ordered that and also scooped a pair of brakes for this build. My eyes are glued to finding good deals on the components.. hopefully I will have those sources within the month!

:)

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Hey Evan or anyone else in the know, what am missing or is anything wrong in this estimated build chart?

Keep in mind things could change if I end up mixing the group with force parts to save some $$!

evan326

by evan326

I just notice the expander missing, its only 16g though. It's crazy how much lighter sram is than shimano.
I'm going to assume these are listed weights, not actual? Some of them seem pretty generous. Can't wait to see this put together.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Some parts are slowly starting to trickle in...

Complete headset components with 5mm top cap..

New Shimano Pro Stealth saddle. I really love the Specialized Power Pro on my Scott but this Stealth appears very similar and I preferred to not use specialized products on my Dale!

Bottom bracket bearings and clips...

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

The KCNC C7 brakes arrived...

I'm glad the weights are all almost matching to my estimated chart!

evan326

by evan326

Those are insanely light. How do they compare to ultegra performance? I want lighter brakes. Don't want to spend $250 for 20g for dura ace, $600 for ee brakes is not worth it to me. My ultegra brakes work great, just heavy [FACE WITH COLD SWEAT]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

evan326 wrote:Those are insanely light. How do they compare to ultegra performance? I want lighter brakes. Don't want to spend $250 for 20g for dura ace, $600 for ee brakes is not worth it to me. My ultegra brakes work great, just heavy [FACE WITH COLD SWEAT]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yes they are light and should be a nice match for the bike! :)

I have never tried ultegra brakes but the CB1's I have on my Scott have lightly less braking performance compared to the stock Tektro brakes. Apparently these C7's are better then the CB1's!

AZR3

by AZR3

Just a word of warning, I had those C7s before and they flexed a good bit. They will stop you but just not as well as non weight weenie brakes. I used mine for many years but opted to get a pair of EEs and they're so much more confidence inspiring, should have saved up and bought them instead.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

AZR3 wrote:Just a word of warning, I had those C7s before and they flexed a good bit. They will stop you but just not as well as non weight weenie brakes. I used mine for many years but opted to get a pair of EEs and they're so much more confidence inspiring, should have saved up and bought them instead.

No doubt they lack braking performance. Fortunately, I live in the flat lands and have plenty of experience with the weaker CB1's. I would love some EE's but I'm also trying to maintain a reasonable budget!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Just a small update..

I finally joined the Garmin mafi and picked up an edge 520 to swap back and forth from this bike and my Scott. Also plan to try some Williams carbon brake pads.

I'm hoping for numerous shipments this week and have the two final big purchase to make this week pending some luck on eBay!

I went ahead and made a last minute change and decided to pick up the Force22 rear and front derailleur compared to the Red units. The reason I went this route is because I was able to save the same amount as the price of a 1190 Red Cassette. The red cassette will give me a much better weight savings of around 90+ grams opposed to the 30-40 for the front and rear derailleur's.

The rest of my build will be Red22 exogram crankset with shifters. I'm also in the process of tracking down and building another set of titanium Speedplay Zero Pedals like I already have so I won't have to switch Pedals back and forth.

Stay tuned..!!

Last edited by FLtrooper on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.