CAAD12 Project - 6.32kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

evan326 wrote:Looks like I've got some catch up work to do weight wise :shock:
Just be aware I'm 99% sure the seatpost needs at least 90mm insertion.
Mind me asking how tall you are?

Haha you will get there but it will be challenging with Shimano components. I'm very sure I still have about 4+ inches or over 100mm inserted. In fact, I was planing to pull it back out and cut more now that I have the saddle height dialed in.

I also just lowered the stem and only have the smaller (I think 3mm) spacer under the stem. I want to log some more miles before totaling slamming the stem but so far I have about 75 miles on the build and it's working better then imagined!

And no problem, I'm 5'8"/175lbs and prefer a forward setup. I actually have the Seat maxxed out towards the front!

:)
:beerchug:

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Unfortunately, I sliced my new GP4000 rear tire and my previously used front is showing signs of wear so I decided to order some 28mm GP4000s. I'm confident the front will fit but nervous the rear might be a close fit. I will update once the tires are received!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

Why the switch to 28mm?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

evan326 wrote:Why the switch to 28mm?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I never had a road bike frame wide enough for 28's so figured I would try them out to see if the hype about lower rolling resistance and smoother ride is true.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

I had a chance to install the 28mm GP4000's yesterday. I put about 75 miles on them so far and really enjoy them. Any road buzz is gone and bumps are really absorbed with only 90psi. I don't notice any speed loss or differences and the clearance is perfect with no rubbing!

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Just an update...

I have just under 2k miles on my CAAD12 so far and all is good minus the shitty FSA bottom bracket bearing. I ordered some Wheels Mfg bb30 bearings as replacements. I'm still using the 28s and on super hard effort sprints I notice a little wheel rub on the drive side.. but I'm not to worried about it!

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Soo...I replaced the BB30 bearings. The FSA bearings did not spin freely and I assumed new bearings was the fix but I'm still stuck with a noisy drivetrain/bb. I have removed the crank several times and cleaned everything very well, tourqed to spec, checked chainring bolts, tried grease and anti-seize, and still have a faint but obnoxious creak coming from what appears to be the BB.

Does anyone have any other suggestions/solutions and is this issue plagued others?

Help :(

alias320

by alias320

I've had similar issues. When I had a bike built up for myself, I specifically ordered a threaded BB to avoid the creak. That said, the best success I've had (after doing pretty much everything you've done) was with a Loctite retaining compound. I think I used 641. This holds the BB enough to prevent noise in my experience. Also, depending on how many times you've removed the BB, I'd start with a fresh one since they deform when installed. Good luck- nothing is worse than a creak when pedaling.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

meybe try to tighten derailleur mail bolt,mech hanger bolts,rear wheel. Check,are headsets are corect tightened.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

bikemaniack wrote:meybe try to tighten derailleur mail bolt,mech hanger bolts,rear wheel. Check,are headsets are corect tightened.

I will re-grease and check TQ on all of the mentioned components later today and report back.

alias320 wrote:I've had similar issues. When I had a bike built up for myself, I specifically ordered a threaded BB to avoid the creak. That said, the best success I've had (after doing pretty much everything you've done) was with a Loctite retaining compound. I think I used 641. This holds the BB enough to prevent noise in my experience. Also, depending on how many times you've removed the BB, I'd start with a fresh one since they deform when installed. Good luck- nothing is worse than a creak when pedaling.

10-4... loctite was my next option. I will try the other posters suggestions first and advice. Thanks again for the assistance.

evan326

by evan326

You sure it's the bearings making the noise? My cables are laid along the BB more than yours. Any chance they are rubbing the spindle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

How you install the bearings?? By "russian key" ( hammer and screw driver) :) or with profesdional tool??

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

evan326 wrote:You sure it's the bearings making the noise? My cables are laid along the BB more than yours. Any chance they are rubbing the spindle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

I'm not sure it's the BB but it appears that is the area of the noise and it is only during a portion of the cycle and not a constant creaking.

I'm fairly confident the cables went running because the spindle does not show any signs of contact but I will double check if the aforementioned suggestions don't resolve the issue!

Fingers crossed I get this resolved, my CAAD was rock solid with not a peep or creak. I'm pretty sure the issue appeared after being caught in some rain :(

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

bikemaniack wrote:How you install the bearings?? By "russian key" ( hammer and screw driver) :) or with profesdional tool??

Haha...the russian Key! I actually use the press in the picture!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

:thumbup: