Cannondale SystemSix

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Marin

by Marin

Veloflex Corsa or Master are under 200g, cheap, and a huge improvement in ride quality over the Contis.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sizzler

by Sizzler

@istigatrice: I measured again and it's inserted 11cm total.

@Exar: great idea, hadn't thought about those. I'll keep my eyes out for a used set.

@Marin: Darn, if I hadn't just bought those Continentals I would be all over those! Looks like a set is all I would need to get below 6.8kg. Maybe I could find some room in the budget for them and put the Contis on my other wheels or something.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

KC

by KC

Hey I thought I'd add my experience with the supersonic tubes. I've been using them for years and they work as good as any I've used. Seems like if a piece of glass is going to get through the tire you're going to get a flat no matter what. I'm very pleased with them. I have some 4 year old ones here still too, may have some patches on a few. Recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

istigatrice

by istigatrice

What conti tyres did you get? If they're anything with black chilli I'd almost be inclined to recommend them over the veloflex tyres. Don't get me wrong, the veloflex tyres are great, but for dependability the contis have it.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Sizzler

by Sizzler

istigatrice wrote:What conti tyres did you get? If they're anything with black chilli I'd almost be inclined to recommend them over the veloflex tyres. Don't get me wrong, the veloflex tyres are great, but for dependability the contis have it.

They're GP 4000sII with black chili compound. So, aside from durability (which the contis have) do the Veloflex have better ride quality? I was all set to buy a pair but now not sure. :noidea:

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Ride quality Veloflex>Conti

but for racing I pick Conti, I find that I'm less likely to flat out of a race, and have more confidence in wet corners. But if you race in the dry, with no road debris there would be no good reason to pick conti tyres over veloflex. Just the majority of racing/riding I do is over ok quality roads but lots of glass, nails etc. So I'm not looking for every last watt, I don't mind being 2-3w slower if it means I don't lose 5 minutes trying to fix a flat or being a DNF because I flatted.

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Sizzler

by Sizzler

istigatrice wrote:Ride quality Veloflex>Conti

but for racing I pick Conti, I find that I'm less likely to flat out of a race, and have more confidence in wet corners. But if you race in the dry, with no road debris there would be no good reason to pick conti tyres over veloflex. Just the majority of racing/riding I do is over ok quality roads but lots of glass, nails etc. So I'm not looking for every last watt, I don't mind being 2-3w slower if it means I don't lose 5 minutes trying to fix a flat or being a DNF because I flatted.

Geez, not another variable to think about! Yeah, I live in a very wet climate with lot of road debris. Hmmm . . .

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

You could save a few grams in the seatpost clamp, dust cover/spacers, and bottle cages - your preferences intact.

Sizzler

by Sizzler

FilmAt11 wrote:You could save a few grams in the seatpost clamp, dust cover/spacers, and bottle cages - your preferences intact.

Unfortunately, the dust cover is a proprietary size, though I could use two smaller 1 1/8" carbon spacers (4g) instead of the larger SystemSix spacer (15g) but it looks a little funky with the super huge head tube.

I've considered a lighter post clamp but I've had bad luck in the past with them braking/stripping and having posts slip. Any recommendations for something reliable?

How about for bottle cages? My current cages are 23g each and I'm struggling to find something under 20g for a reasonable price.

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

I've used both a New Ultimate and a Mt.Zoom clamp @6-8g with no issues @65kg.

The cages I had in mind aren't in the reasonable price category.

Sizzler

by Sizzler

My WW starter pack arrived, the tubes came in overweight at 54g, I think because they have 60mm valves. The tape was bang on at 40g uncut with plugs. And the tires were underweight at 192g each for 700x23 (thanks Marin!). Now, to get everything installed and see if I need to go further with some different clamps. On paper, I'm at 6791g.
Last edited by Sizzler on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

TimmS

by TimmS

I see a heavy front derailleur clamp!

Sizzler

by Sizzler

I meant to mention I have a KCNC clamp but it's red. Any quick, easy ways to remove the color?
Last edited by Sizzler on Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Looks good, as mentioned above next 'easy' weight savings would be your FD clamp. Parlee make a nice clamp

Sizzler

by Sizzler

Done and exactly 6.8kg!!! This is hanging weight with bottle cages, as pictured. Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions!
Last edited by Sizzler on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com