Prep the bb shell with copper paste:

And don't forget to check hanger alignment:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

I hate clinchers. After spending close to an hour putting on Veloflex Masters I pumped them up only to hear a loud pop a few minutes later. Now, I don't trust the bead seating on the other wheel (the front) so I need to do it all over again. I could have had two new tubs glued up in half the time while enjoying the process, not swearing, sweating and now with zero confidence the wheel won't blow and I'll get a face full of cement.

I really don't understand the aversion to tubs after this experience.

moonoi

by moonoi

I wouldn't trust Veloflex Masters at all, whilst I don't have a problem with clinchers, these were hard to install and then the sidewall blew out on the rear after a little over 200km. They do look nice though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

Great, I have sidewalls blowing out to add to my list of concerns. Imma get me some more Boras...

mrgray

by mrgray

here here! at a ride today i was treated like a dare devil because i was on tubs "ooh, you're brave!". not at all. i had a spare. and i've ridden on the spare for the rest of the day many times and never had an issue. and sometimes i don't even need the spare because a squirt of tufo xtreme (2 the max) does the job (if i can open the seal on the squirt bottle which is the main challenge).

tubs are dead easy. it's just incredibly disappointing that with the roads around my way i never get to wear the tread out of any of them. but same issue with clinchers i dare say.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

RyanH

by RyanH

A sneak peek:

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

That's not fair!! Let's see it for real!!

RyanH

by RyanH

It's not ready, lots of little details need to be finalized. I just wanted to get it built so I could ride it and make sure I didn't detest it before I put more effort into it.

dj97223

by dj97223

Not to derail your thread, but I've ridden Veloflex Master's/Corsa's for years. Never had a side blowout and can't recall a tube failure like you had; it looks like your tube got pinched/trapped during installation and was still pinched/trapped when you inflated. The Veloflex generally are not that difficult to mount, so your problem may be the rims. Sometimes you need to mount just the tire and let it sit for a couple of days to stretch before trying to mount the tube; some talc on the tube helps as well. And you'll find that they stretch with some use.

I'm also a fan of Boras with Veloflex tubulars -- I have 2 sets and ride them when the weather is decent -- but I think you'll find that the Veloflex clinchers ride nearly as nice as tubulars on those wider rims if you use the correct pressure. Use just enough air in the clinchers to prevent pinch flats. For me at ~150 lbs, that is 80-90 PSI.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program . . .
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

RyanH

by RyanH

I weigh the same and run the Bora/Veloflex combo at 65/80 which provides an amazing ride. I ran the masters at 75/90 today and the ride just isn't the same, but it's close. It's not apples to apples though since I've heard the Archetypes can be harsh while the front fork is definitely making up a lot of the slack to smooth out the road.

KWalker

by KWalker

dj97223 wrote:Not to derail your thread, but I've ridden Veloflex Master's/Corsa's for years. Never had a side blowout and can't recall a tube failure like you had; it looks like your tube got pinched/trapped during installation and was still pinched/trapped when you inflated. The Veloflex generally are not that difficult to mount, so your problem may be the rims. Sometimes you need to mount just the tire and let it sit for a couple of days to stretch before trying to mount the tube; some talc on the tube helps as well. And you'll find that they stretch with some use.

I'm also a fan of Boras with Veloflex tubulars -- I have 2 sets and ride them when the weather is decent -- but I think you'll find that the Veloflex clinchers ride nearly as nice as tubulars on those wider rims if you use the correct pressure. Use just enough air in the clinchers to prevent pinch flats. For me at ~150 lbs, that is 80-90 PSI.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program . . .

+1 I have had the same 6 latex tubes since 2009. Never had a single blow out. Pretty easy if you can use tire levers properly and if its a really sticky casing, which a Veloflex isn't, maybe some talcum powder on the inside. Those rims aren't tough to mount tires to either as they have a pretty deep spoke bed.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

syplam

by syplam

May i know what hub you are using for your wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris8382

by chris8382

Yeah, yeah....nice bike and all.

Now, more importantly, can I point out the difference between those of you residing in LA and the rest of us.....toe covers and long pants probably means 62F for you, right? Sounds like my dream.....

RyanH

by RyanH

Lol, in fairness it was 52* and lightly raining. Today was 60 and I had shorts and no toe... Oh wait, sorry...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CLEAR

by CLEAR

Ryan.. can't wait to see yet another of your projects... im sure this one will be awesome as previous as well.