Project Super-Clyde (Eddy Merckx EMX-3)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

saskskier

by saskskier

So after a few years of no bike riding and some competitive olympic weightlifting, my 6'4 frame ballooned up to a solid 127kg. Picked up mountain bike a couple years ago and have been enjoying that, but late last season, I found a sweet deal on a 61cm Eddy Merckx EMX-3 (Ultra groupset, Ritchey Classic bar, Deda Zero stem) without wheels/cranks/pedals. Picked up some Shimano 105 cranks and r501 wheels to get it rolling and threw on some m530 spd pedals I had lying around, all with the intentions of upgrading over winter.

Since then I picked up some generic, 88mm carbon tubular wheels (Vittoria Corsa tires) and replaced the SSM Aspide saddle with a Ergon SR3 (large) to better fit by backside. I was blown away at how much lighter and smoother they are than the Shimano's. Next upgrades will be pedals (likely Ultegra), bar (something carbon) and probably crankset. Playing around with different bar tape (hence the two colours. I don't intend to keep it that way). Also working on flexibility to get that stem flipped.

Current weight is 8.6kg (roughly. I don't have a decent scale)

Not sure what my final goal is at this point, but will need to sacrifice some weight in order to accommodate my size. I also know this frame is definitely not a featherweight, but I'm definitely open suggestions on areas I could work on. (Currently working on the body weight situation as well)

saskskier

by saskskier

Turns out, if you lose some heavy bits, you save some weight. Waiting for new pedals cages to come in and still figuring out what bar to go with.

Current weight (sans pedals/bottles/cages): 7.6kg
Attachments
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

i think it looks great with the deep wheels and as a bit of a heavier bike rider myself i am surprised you're OK on carbon wheels period let alone generic ones. some more photos of it side on would be good as it really does look a bit of a flash machine.

unless i am mistaken those are the older vittoria corsa so you'd best watch yourself in the wet. i have read here and heard anecdotally from friends that like bon jovi's record they are "slippery when wet".

weight wise i think it is difficult unless you change the wheels. if you got lightweights for example you might drop near enough to a whole kilo relative to these. many other large weight savings might impact comfort and or safety and that impacts riding time and i dont think thats a good trade off. for example saddle, post, tyres, bars, stem.

i think a robust frame is good for you in this instance and this one is a real winner so please some more pictures side on.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

saskskier

by saskskier

Thanks mrgray!

The wheels are a bit of an experiment. I picked them up from a friend for cheap, so if they don't work out, I'm not out a whole bunch. As for the tires, I bought the wheelset with the intention of moving to a 25mm tire. I had them on my cheap Shimano wheelset and they were great.

The ongoing challenge will be skirting that line between strength and weight.

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

Cranks are one of the biggest anchors here. Definitely would look for an older red crank. As far as grams/dollar that is a great value.

saskskier

by saskskier

Picked up pedals (Shimano 105's), wider bars (Zipp Service Course SL-80, 44cm), stem (90mm FSA Energy) and new shoes (Giro Empire ACC). Flipped the stem and adjusted the angle of the brakes and she's looking a touch more aggressive than when I originally posted. Will post an updated picture later today or tomorrow.

Still keeping an eye out for different cranks (possibly used Sram Red's, Rotor's or FSA's, but nothing's set in stone) and will probably move to 25mm tires before the season hits.

saskskier

by saskskier

Here she is with some new bits installed.

mattr

by mattr

Just as an aside, you sure that chain is long enough? Looks like just another half dozen teeth on the sprocket and you'll be maxed out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saskskier

by saskskier

mattr wrote:Just as an aside, you sure that chain is long enough? Looks like just another half dozen teeth on the sprocket and you'll be maxed out.

Yeah. It's short right now.