A really ugly frame makes for a good WW project...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

^^ I'm intrigued!! Haha.
And following this build with interest :thumbup:

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

What brakes and groupset would you use for such a build?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Denavelo

by Denavelo

RyanH wrote:Red BB30 cranks have to be one of the best values out there. I checked ebay and they seem to go for around $150ish. At 370g, that's about the same weigh as a THM M3 and with the right rings, it'd be less than my SISL2 52/36 spidering combo.

Aican has a new housing which I ordered. It's $30 and looks like traditional housing. It's supposed to be the same g/m as iLinks.

Seatposts you're somewhat limited because you need 25.4mm. Hylix cut down was sub 100g for Godzuki.

Bars, if you go cheap, then Easton EC90 SLX's are 170-180g and around $60 on ebay, about half the price of used 3T Ergonova LTDs.

I need to cable my bike up and remove the heavy Campy stuff... I was going to run ilinks again, but this new Aican sounds like a viable option.
Where did you order it from? I'm assuming you're talking about the A1 cable housing?
You sir will have as many bikes as I have, and I still have (2) more coming.

Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

RyanH

by RyanH

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Ordered! Bought a bunch of new stuff for the BH. MCFK post, MCFK saddle, 25mm Carbon hoops, etc.. Should be a nice little hill climber!
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@RyanH - please don't put this frame on Ebay or the WeightWeenies classifieds. Can you strip this pink dress off to expose what is underneath? Some naked UD for us to all see? Thanks!
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

RyanH

by RyanH

Lol, I'm committed to this project whether or not I want to be as I already started sanding the fork. The paint is on super thick though and even 100 grit is slow go. 100 pack of razors came in last week as well as a variety pack of sand paper. Now I just need to find a better way to hold the razor blades as it kills my fingers.

BmanX

by BmanX

I did the razor treatment on my Cervelo P2C and it was a nightmare. I tried many ways to hold the razor blades but the best and most accurate was with the fingers. I gave up and had it painted which I do regret.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

RyanH

by RyanH

With the poor quality and thickness of the paint, the razor does a better job taking a lot of material off quickly. I'll probably do a combo of razor and sand paper.

I forgot to mention, but the THM Fibulas were pulled off the Litespeed for reasons I'll add in the other thread, so they can be earmarked for this build. Oh, and I have a set of Tune Skylines coming. Budget build idea fully blown by those two items. If anyone has a pair of Veloflex Records sitting around that they don't want, pm me.

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

RyanH wrote:...Budget build idea fully blown by those two items...

Haha :D Will be nice to see the bike. Low 4kg should be easy with these parts.

RyanH

by RyanH

I'm on the fence as to what direction to go with this build. I've gone down the route chasing sub 5kg with the R5ca before. It cost a lot and the death knell to that build was the THM fork was flexy when sprinting and my fit changed so my bar stem combo wasn't working any more. A lot lower weight could have been attainable with the R5ca but it was built as a zero compromise race rig.

Now, I have the Litespeed Classic to cover comfort riding / go everywhere and the T3 for more aggressive group rides and racing. With those two bases covered, having a dedicated light bike is more palatable. But, based on a few quick calcs, going from 5kg to 4.4kg will double the build cost and I'll have a wheelset that I'll rarely use (Tune Skylines with Record tubs) and a lot of parts that have little resale value (Berk Combos, FibreLyte parts, etc...).

Alternatively, I could build this up with SRAM Red and some light tuning (mostly cosmetic modification) and have a low 5kg build that'd be good for any type of riding while also keeping my cost to under $3K USD.

I have some time to decide, so we'll see.

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

I would build it sub4 to make a real light build or sell the frame as you already have the Litespeeds for all your needs.

BmanX

by BmanX

~5kg is a great build. Not sure of your riding style or terrain that you ride but what about a 1X build to keep the weight down, do some cool tuning and make use of your existing parts. Since you have the other builds, I think having a fun bike to take out on the hills and some fun rides would be great.

The reason that I say this as well is this is the route that I will most likely take on my next build. A nice 800-900 ish frame, 1x gearing (32t front for climbing and 46t for normal rides), lighter wheels, left over parts and some fun tuning on the other parts. Either this or I reclaim my 2000 TCR zero frame from the wife and build that up and just replace her frame with a new carbon open mold. I think a ~5kg aluminum build would be kind of cool. I have an light aero build, a nice English build, my Tri build and a nice light 1x 29er so the next step is a fine light play bike.

I was even looking at a funky 2 speed build using a Paul's Melvin which would mean I could run a 16 rear cog and maybe a 46/34 front for some run rides with the wife. I have a custom carbon rear single speed conversion from Fibre Lyte that can be used. All carbon even the cog.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Thanks for sharing! I see Aican makes similar compression-less cabling / housing for BRAKES and SHIFT.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the info presented by the seller(s) on fleabay, but here's what I saw for cabling today:

Shift cabling
* Alligator iLinks = 24g/ft
* Aican super light housing = 24g/ft
* Aican Bungarus = 18g/ft

Brake cabling
* Alligator iLinks = 26g/ft
* Aican super light housing = 24g/ft
* Aican Bungarus = 18g/ft

...and, of course, Fairwheel is rarely outdone. Here's their info on the subject presented with an "all in" weight for a built-up bike. Their info is at least a couple years old for what it's worth.

https://fairwheelbikes.com/aican-bungar ... cable-kit/

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

RyanH wrote:But I haven't even posted the thing that's coming in the mail on Tuesday, lol.

Tuesday came and went. Two of them, I think. What did the postman drop-off?!