A really ugly frame makes for a good WW project...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KarlC

by KarlC

RyanH wrote:@karlc you may find that the 404s are better with smaller tires. What you're describing is how Id describe my experience with most 27mm tire/wheel combos. The Enve 4.5s were probably the first wheelset that I tried where that wasn't the case. Even the Boras with Vlaanderen had that feeling of being disconnected/vague.

With that being said, I'm not sure if it was the Foil or the 404s but I felt like the two tended to understeer.

I have tried the Zipp 404 with 23, 25 and 27mm tires, yes they all feel different, but no matter what tire the Zipp 404 back wheel moves side to side way to much. The Zipp wheels are know for doing this, you can even take your hand and move them side to side.

Im sure wider Tires and Lower PSI add to the disconnected / vague feel, but when comparing the same Tires with the same PSI on the same roads and the only difference being the Wheels the Reynolds Aero Wheels feel at one with the bike and the Zipp Wheels feel disconnected / vague.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

From a few posts back:

What's up from going from the extralite rings back to the power glide ones?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

I've become spoiled with the shifting on the Litespeed (Campy 2015+ and SISL2 OPI rings) to the point that I can't tolerate hesitation in my shifting. Shifting on the LS is instant, zero hesitation. I also have ridden about 4 or 5K miles without a chain catcher and haven't dropped a chain once. Contrast that with SRAM and the Extralite rings. I couldn't get the FD to not drop the chain on the inside. Every once in awhile it'd drop the chain on the outside and it'd also hesitate for up for a full second before going to the big ring. They also seemed to flex a little when grinding away. I mean, with a chain catcher in place, it was fully functioning and serviceable but...

The Powerglide rings are a step up but still not as good as Praxis (or regular Red rings @ 170g). They make up for that by being 120g, cheap and come in all black with no mention of SRAM.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Thanks for the shout. I love my SR EPS shifting, DA 9000 and etap have never let me down neither.

Will give it a go with EL rings on etap and hopefully I'll find it good enough!

Fingers crossed!

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

My Reynolds SDV66 are actually more comfortable than the 45's they replaced. I think it's due to the high, thin sidewall of the 66's flexing a bit, taking the edge off road buzz. I can well imagine this being the case with more wheels than just the Reynolds. Going further, I haven't tested it but I would expect carbon rims with thin, concave sidewalls like the current wide aero rims to be more comfortable than rims with straight sidewalls.

RyanH wrote:
Beaver wrote:And all high carbon rims will loose comfort, they are just too stiff. :noidea:

Actually, the Bora 50s don't (or not as much as other offerings) since they cleverly get the additional depth through a carbon faring. It's also why they only weigh an additional 45g.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

That would be nice, but it's a theory my 4.5s, 6.7s, and 58s all emphatically disagreed with. I believe it's possible, the 404 would be a good example, but I think there's a fair bit more to it.

RyanH

by RyanH

Wheel comfort is a curious thing. I inquired about it last year or so and it turned into a handful of people disagreeing and going as far as riding their LW Discs back to back to see if they notice a difference.

Here's the final build list for the Evo. This is final I think as it's currently at a friend's house for him to try this week before he commits to purchasing it. He rides a lot so it'll go to a good home.

garjo

by garjo

I was wondering about the resale value of these stripped evo hm framesets. I have to say they have a nice clean look and a very desiderable weight but sometimes could appear anonymous because no paint scheme and/or barcodes, are they really saleable? Any experience?
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

reedplayer

by reedplayer

wow, what a great project. result looks so much better than all the stock-paintjobs.
i suppose selling a stripped frameset might be difficult, because the average user does not appreciate it, he prefers many logos and colour here-colour there.
as nice as it is: i once stripped a frameset as well. never again! doing this job one time is enough for the whole life! :D