Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

guyc

by guyc

Pain. In. The. Arse.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

RichTheRoadie wrote:Unfortunately, though, the rear one appears to emit a ticking noise when it has weight on it (by which I mean the noise can only be created when riding, not in the stand). Frustrating as hell, but I'm trying to get it resolved.

Well don't I feel like a bit of a tw4t...

I couldn't recreate the noise in the stand because the bike was clamped by the front fork, meaning the front wheel wasn't on the bike. In trying to eliminate a few options today I found myself nonchalantly tapping the front valve stem as if I had already decided "I know that isn't the cause but I'll check it anyway"...

Oh. :oops:

Still, at least the wheels are 100% now and I can get on with enjoying them and the bike in silence again! :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Yep, I was going to suggest you take a look at the valve stems. No need to :oops:, I am sure we have all done that or worse.

I have the same wheels. They are excellent. The one thing that shocked me was that out of the box, a few spokes were not tensioned properly - a couple were nearly slack (although the wheels were mostly round and true). Might not hurt you to check yours. Totally unacceptable from Mavic - hopefully my set was a rare example of bad QC. Fortunately, I am such a spoke tension obsessive that I check the tension of every spoke on a new wheelset and then again after a few hundred km. Doesn't matter how my wheels arrive, they will be perfect before I ride 'em.

I also have the same bike (and use the same saddle) in ML with Red mechanical. About 6.4 kg with the Mavics iirc. My paint job is essentially the Altum paint job applied to an Altum R. I think the frame was 850 grams. Thrilled with the whole package although that front wheel is really close - toe overlap is a bit extreme for such a large bike.

I should post an updated photo.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Mr.Gib wrote:I have the same wheels. They are excellent. The one thing that shocked me was that out of the box, a few spokes were not tensioned properly - a couple were nearly slack (although the wheels were mostly round and true). Might not hurt you to check yours. Totally unacceptable from Mavic - hopefully my set was a rare example of bad QC. Fortunately, I am such a spoke tension obsessive that I check the tension of every spoke on a new wheelset and then again after a few hundred km. Doesn't matter how my wheels arrive, they will be perfect before I ride 'em.

Thanks for the warning, but no such issue here - had that have been the case they would have gone back for a refund as I can't tolerate such basic issues on wheels of this value, irrespective of how good the correctly finished product might be!

Mr.Gib wrote:I also have the same bike (and use the same saddle) in ML with Red mechanical. About 6.4 kg with the Mavics iirc. My paint job is essentially the Altum paint job applied to an Altum R. I think the frame was 850 grams. Thrilled with the whole package although that front wheel is really close - toe overlap is a bit extreme for such a large bike.

Great minds... :wink:

Again, though, no such issue for me in size 43-44 shoes - even despite tending to run my cleats as far back as I can (on standard shoes). I do get overlap, but I've known worse, and it's only ever at really slow speeds anyway (a blanket statement which applies to most toe overlap, in my opinion and experience).

Mr.Gib wrote:I should post an updated photo.

Yes, you should!

guyc

by guyc

RichTheRoadie wrote:
RichTheRoadie wrote:Unfortunately, though, the rear one appears to emit a ticking noise when it has weight on it (by which I mean the noise can only be created when riding, not in the stand). Frustrating as hell, but I'm trying to get it resolved.

Well don't I feel like a bit of a tw4t...

I couldn't recreate the noise in the stand because the bike was clamped by the front fork, meaning the front wheel wasn't on the bike. In trying to eliminate a few options today I found myself nonchalantly tapping the front valve stem as if I had already decided "I know that isn't the cause but I'll check it anyway"...

Oh. :oops:

Still, at least the wheels are 100% now and I can get on with enjoying them and the bike in silence again! :lol:

:thumbup:

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

No updates - just a fresh pic:

Really quite enjoying this bike...

guyc

by guyc

Looks pretty much perfect

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Excess steerer trimmed and orange bar tape:

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Lighter non-Active version of the SQlab 612 Ergowave Race saddle drops the weight to 6.7kg (and the bar tape is now purple):

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Looks really nice there...maybe some EE's brakes and call it done?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

That's the rough plan, yes, although I have a set of anthracite sidewall Corsa tubs on the way to try as well.

I will continue to change bar tape because it's cheap fun; and the neutral frame colour carries most options quite well.

I'm tempted to try a different groupset too (from a purely aesthetics perspective - I just wish the eTap mechs weren't silver), but every time I think that then go for a ride eTap wins me over again.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Really nice.

Is that the carbon rail non-active 612? Or the ti rail?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Mr.Gib wrote:Is that the carbon rail non-active 612? Or the ti rail?

It's the carbon one.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

RichTheRoadie wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:Is that the carbon rail non-active 612? Or the ti rail?

It's the carbon one.

Nice, about 150 grams so a decent weight. Was the stack the same as the active model. I noticed that the active model with titanium rails actually has a lower stack than my non-active with titanium rails - about 5 mm.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

There seems to be a subtle difference in stack, with the non-Active version being 3 or 4mm shallower by my reckoning. The rails are a slightly different shape too (slightly longer at the rear on the non-Active, based on where my light mount sits with the saddle in the same place), which makes sense given the lack of the fairly bulky Active portion.

Thankfully it's no less comfortable than the non-Active version, which is a real result.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com