Trek Emonda ALR - Rebuild

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Christono

by Christono

Hello everyone, welcome to my thread.

This will most likely be slow updates to my current bike. Nothing too special but it is definitely a joy to ride.

After riding a 1.2, I found Trek's H2 geo suits me well and wanted to upgrade to a nicer frame but stay with aluminium.

I got this frameset at the end of 2015, built up for 2016 and it's seen a lot of abuse but looks like it will hold up until I'm ready to move onto carbon.

Now I'm a little more serious about climbing hills and would like to get below 7kg at a minimum, build will stay mostly the same but I would like to add a bit more bling.

For some reason I didn't take many good pictures of the bike.

Few more pics and build info over at http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/trek-emonda-alr-27540

Alright, so this is what I'm starting with

56cm Frame + bb 1248g

cut fork 343g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Christono

by Christono

reserved

Christono

by Christono

A few bits that I already have:

Speedplay Zero 224g

Considering titanium axles, seen some on ebay but haven't looked into how reliable they are.

Giro Empire SLX size 46 with speedplay cleats + insoles 614g

DA9000 (11-28) 194g

May or may not use depending on where I'm riding (spent 9 months last year in Thailand)

Wolf Tooth Road Link 16g

In case I need to use my 11-40 XT cassette, what do you think? Came in handy in Thailand lol

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

For speedplay axles, you might want to contact Ward ti spindles in the US. they make the spindles rather cheap, 50 dollar a pair iirc. You need to contact them, because the Speedplay spindles will not be available on the website.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Nice build. You can definitely drop some weight by switching out the RD to a DA9000 or even Ultegra, and ditching the 11-32 cassette. I only use that for my CX bike, and it's very heavy compared to a DA9000, 11-28 cassette. If you need more range than the 11-28, you can look at getting a R9100 11-30 cassette.

Christono

by Christono

Frankie - B wrote:For speedplay axles, you might want to contact Ward ti spindles in the US. they make the spindles rather cheap, 50 dollar a pair iirc. You need to contact them, because the Speedplay spindles will not be available on the website.

Thanks, will look into this.

FIJIGabe wrote:Nice build. You can definitely drop some weight by switching out the RD to a DA9000 or even Ultegra, and ditching the 11-32 cassette. I only use that for my CX bike, and it's very heavy compared to a DA9000, 11-28 cassette. If you need more range than the 11-28, you can look at getting a R9100 11-30 cassette.

My DA derailleur ended up getting broken hence the temporary 105 which ended up staying on for about 6 months. Looking for a used derailleur seeing as the rest of the groupset is already well worn.

In terms of the rest of the build I'm considering changing the finishing kit especially the seat post to something inline. I saw the 2017 mcfk seat post one build on here and thought it looked amazing. Also very tempted by an extralite stem but the zipp stealth isn't bad.

I've already had to change the bearings in the rear novatec hub twice but I think I will keep the wheels for now as I'll be traveling and they are fairly light for cheap alu.

Christono

by Christono

Frame is at shop getting Chris King BB serviced.
Quick update with some new bits...will post weights soon.

BmanX

by BmanX

Following
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

gsindela

by gsindela

Nice bike. Following.
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post

Christono

by Christono

No surprise that things didn't go as I planned. Obviously been a while since I updated this thread so I'll go through my phone pictures and see what might be interesting. Long story short, I got busy working before leaving for my permanent vacation lifestyle in Thailand. Forget rebuilding my bike, I didn't even clean it. Sorry if it turns into a personal blog, here goes:

Following on from the last picture posted, I'm sure I took some pictures of the weights but can't find them. Anyway here are the Bontrager XXX bottle cages I got on sale.

Under 20g each

April. Made it to Thailand. Just know that I'm completely focused on riding now which is why there is a lack of weights but I will get back on that soon.

After building my bike up, I wanted to replace the bearings in my rear hub. Sparing the details, it was beyond saving. Bike shop gave me no choice but to use this slightly heavier hub. STILL having similar problems.

But it's all good, love riding here.

May. Finally get round to "fixing" my bike. Not sure if mentioned but I rode my hoods to death. By the end of April they were both completely torn so they could be pulled off quite easily. Replaced hoods, bar tape, cables, chain and chainrings.

Vittoria Corsa Speed Tubeless tyres. Ended up taking them off last year and using whatever clincher tyre I had. So these were reinstalled again. No picture but I'm sure the weight was down to 7.19kg.

Before I forget, took a short trip to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This happened.

Another disaster story. Did not have enough time to measure up the post on my bike, was about 10-20mm too short. My friend kindly exchanged it for the 420mm although didn't receive it until last week. Import tax to Thailand was painful..still worth.

So here are the rest of the disastrous happenings lol.

First ride after having the tubeless set up, get a massive cut on the back tyre. Can't inflate more than 60 psi. Inner tube goes in. Same happens to the front tyre after 1000km. Inner tube goes in. Back tyre gets shredded on a ride and I burn my spare and a mate's spare tube. Put my heavy clincher back on (it's a stock bontrager tyre, pretty bomb proof.)

Next, I reckon the saddle was too far back on the Zipp seat post, I endured hours of creaking, mistakenly ignoring it. Took the seat post out to regrease, torqued to 5 Nm. 5 mins later I notice this. Yes that crack goes all the way around.

Wheels are defo on their way out. Changing the hub must've affected the spokes somehow. This one has broken twice...funnily enough was on the same road both times. Front hub bearings have finally gone as well. So now have done about 40km total on that wheel with a missing spoke.

Honestly considering a silly light carbon tubular wheelset but it is rainy season here so probably not the most sensible idea. Think I will hold out until I return to the UK anyway.

Also to add the bad luck, my stages was not working with my garmin. Thankfully the renown Stages support team sorted me out with a warranty unit. Only a week without a power meter, could've been worse.

So that brings us to the end of June. MCFK seat post in. new seat post collar is KCNC, hated it at first, very bulky compared to Carbon-Ti but I think it's still light and the colours kind of match the frame accents. Rear tyre is now a Michelin Pro 4. With inner tubes and a lighter seat post, the weight must be around 7.2 but at the moment I don't really care. Having too much fun riding.

Girlfriend got a matching bike too, will post some updates on that later. Hopefully that wasn't too much for you guys, kudos if you read it all. Till next time.

Christono

by Christono

Also re: 11-28 DA cassette. Brought mine with me but really need the 32 for the hills here. Will put it on when I weigh my bike just for that extra 100g saving. Also speed play cleat covers...*f##k* keeping losing them on rides. Maybe 4 or 5 times I had to backtrack to find it on the floor. Today I lost one for good though, RIP.

jeffy

by jeffy

a 32-11 sram red22 will weigh ~195g and i *think* you could use the GS/medium cage from the 105 with DA RD

Christono

by Christono

Not sure how much interest there is here but I will throw this up anyway. Will be good to look back on it in the future.

So this is how my bike looks at the moment ready for a few hill climbs in the UK. I had a plan to go lower than this but had to stick to a tight budget and work with a lot of parts I had lying around already. Haven't weighed but my spreadsheet says it should be 6kg so realistically around 6.1kg I'd say.

Tubulars ~1100g
Speedplays with ti parts 149g
DA 11-28, modified for 10 sp hub
34T narrow wide chainring, no front derailleur etc
No bar tape, bolt cages
tufo elite <135g front tub

I know there's a lot more weight to be saved but this is the best I could do with time and money constraints.

junchen

by junchen

Nice updates keep em coming.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bencolem

by bencolem

Christono wrote:DA 11-28, modified for 10 sp hub

Please tell more - how was this done?