Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:09 am 

This bike is certainly not your typical weight weenies fare (skinny ultra-light weight carbon). But variety is the spice of life, as they say, and one thing that makes this forum great is our shared passion for individuality in our bikes, and an appreciation of others’ bikes that might not be what we ride ourselves. As such, I wanted to share what I’ve been working on with you all, in hopes that it resonates with some!

Over the past 4-5 years, I’ve been peripherally involved in the custom titanium frame business, including innovating the finishing work for an existing Colorado builder for a couple of years (polishing / anodizing / custom-decaling). This new project started a year or so ago as a collaboration between me and a friend - who is a very talented and experienced custom Ti fabricator - to design and build the ultimate fat bike: nimble geometry, light weight, purposeful lines, and beautiful finishing. Basically, the bike that we wanted for ourselves, but that didn't exist. The result exceeded our expectations in every way, and a couple other friends talked us into the endeavor of making the bike available to others - Rise Bikes is the result. Right now the fat bike is our only model, but we will soon make a (somewhat) thinner 29+ variety, and in the future…who knows, perhaps even a gravel road bike!

So without further ado, here is my own Rise Grizzly Fat Bike. She weighs in at 10.9kg / 24lbs as pictured, since slimmed down to 10.4kg / 23.4 lbs with lighter Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.8F/4.4R tires. Weight weenie aficionados may notice the awesome Berk saddle on there.
(More detailed studio photos here)

In her natural element:

And a few in the studio:

One of the finish:

Grizzly paw print:

Last edited by dwaharvey on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:03 am 

They are not my cup of tea as a whole, but I don't live near snow or sand.
I do believe this thing looks top notch though :beerchug:

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:03 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:28 am 

Tune hubs?
That finish is pretty awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:20 am 

Remarkable work!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:58 am 
Administrator

Beautiful titanium work and etchings. The component selection is well thought out too. Well done!

I assume either frame sets or complete bikes are available?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:50 pm 

Thanks for the support guys!

@Tony: those are Industry9 Torch hubs. Their anodizing rivals Tune, weight wise a bit heavier, but 120 points of rear hub engagement vs 24 I believe on Tunes... that's something you really notice on trails and to me is worth the weight penalty.

@John: our preference is to work with the customer to do a complete bike with parts of their choice. But in special circumstances (eg international buyer, and/or experienced mechanic) we're also willing to do a "frankset" as I've heard it called by others: frame/fork/headset/bb/crankset.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:10 pm 

The top tube detail is great!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:10 pm 

Beautiful bike! I especially like the grizzly paw print behind the bottom bracket. On that subject, what bottom bracket standard are you using?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:12 pm 

Thanks @locktopus and @tvargas! The BB shell is a threaded T47 unit 120+mm wide, with an internal 30mm bearing ID BB cup. It's designed to work with the RaceFace cinch system and their "narrow" fat bike axle. The bearing placement is essentially identical to a 100mm BSA setup, but with the benefits of a larger diameter (stiffer) shell, bearings fully supported within the shell, and also the extra width is essential to allowing us to build with such short chainstays.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:22 pm 

Awesome bike. Love the seatstays. The finishwork is rediculous! This bike makes me think about those guys doing downhill speed records. They should have a "hardtail-fatbike" catagory!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:43 am 

The bike is gorgeous. Keenly looking forward to something more road/gravel oriented.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:29 pm 

It has been a while, but I'm proud to show you the latest Rise Bikes creation... calling it the Greywolf, and its geometry is aimed at the intersection of cross and gravel road. It clears 700x40 knobby tires like the Maxxis Ravager shown here. The aim was to create a good all rounder, with simple lines and subtle tube shapes. The top tube is ovalized horizontally at the head tube, and vertically at the seat tube; the seatstay tire bend is oriented out of plane to create some interesting visual angles.

We'll probably build a disc-road version (with shorter rear triangle) at some stage if/when someone comes along and asks for one :)

More photos can be found here

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:36 am 

Schwing!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:49 am 

no bridge for the rear stays ? would that not increase the stress on the weldes at the seat tube ?

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:49 am 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:04 am 

@michel2: not an issue, especially with the thru axle locking down the rear triangle