Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

PSM

by PSM

Are you using a mask when sanding?

euph

by euph

Exar
The cable holes are at a fine angle. The problem is that the shifters can't go far enough up the bar. Hard to explain so I may try and get a picture. The bars have a coarse part with lines on for the shifters to mount on but with my shifters when they are on that part they might as well be pointing downwards. The highest they can go up the bar is restricted by the clamp not being able to fit around the compound bend at the top of the bar. I hope that makes sense?

PSM
When I started sanding I wasn't wearing a mask. I quickly learnt my error and sanded the rest outside with a mask. If anyone else sands their frame. Use a mask!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

Do it outside as well.

PSM

by PSM

Do it outside as well. A windy place.

euph

by euph

Had a crash in July which destroyed my eBay aero handlebars. So went back to an old pair of Easton bars. Gained ~30g. While I recovered I took the paint of the forks finally and have been riding happily since.

I have kept my eyes out for a new pair of handlebars and got a steal on a pair of Deda Superleggeras in eBay. They weigh 180g so nearly 100g savings in comparison to my spare aluminium ones. The cable channels have added a bit of length to my cable runs and I ran out of black outer hence the ugly blue one. But this just needs to last the winter and I will hopefully be transferring all the components to a new frame.

I also used some tesa fabric tape instead of handlebar tape. Lower weight and a lot cheaper! Settles this bike nicely below 7kg now. About 6.85kg with bad hanging scales.

Anyway, pictures:
ImageImage

themidge

by themidge

How much does the fabric tape weigh? Lighter than tennis grip-tape (also lighter than regular bar-tape)?

euph

by euph

Not much is the answer. I had to remove one side of it so I weighed the scrunched up remains of it.

10g for one side so final weight is ~20g total. The full name is Tesa 51608 tape. Credit goes to someone else. I found it deep in an old thread somewhere on here.

Never actually weighed my handlebar tape. But I am very confident that this is lighter.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

@euph did you get the chance to ride the tape yet? Does it leave much glue upon removal? I went to Ali and similar tape sells there for ~1EUR including delivery, amazingly cheap.