Colnago C59 ADWH 59cm - 7.3kg - the finishing touch applied

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kgt

by kgt

rjaync wrote:
PSM wrote:That stem. :(

It does seem to polarize opinion. I'm still wrestling with why.

Colnago and Specialized belong to different planets. That's why. It's like a classic limousine with sparco rally seats.
At least try to remove completely the logos. I would do the same with Easton bars btw.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rjaync

by rjaync

SuperDomestique wrote:Should you not need a specialized wedged top cap due to the shim on the stem?

As you will not be compressing flush to the top of the stem with a standard top cap ( as stem is now slightly off axis)?

Bike looks good, I'd change the stem too though..

Thanks. The stem is using the straight shim. It's -12 degrees with the straight shim and adjustable +-4 degrees either way. Otherwise, yes I'd have to use the offset one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjaync

by rjaync

Based on the multitude of feedback I'll try to clean up the existing stem. Thanks to @calnago for the suggestions. I hadn't seen the fact the top graphic on the stem matches the lines in the paintwork. It's the #details. Ironically the stem itself is pretty similar to one of the Colnago ones - it just has the dreaded Big 'S' logos on it. In my defence it was an S-Works I sold to pay for the C59... I'll also try to get some better pics of the paintwork - hopefully the weather will be better this weekend - the wind kept blowing the bike over last Sunday :)

ronderman

by ronderman

Going to join the chorus that this build is proper!!!!!! That bike looks awesome and so good to see a level top tube colnago. I ride the 56S or the 60cm level TT - i got campy, deda and the same saddle. Might I ask you saddle height?

rjaync

by rjaync

ronderman wrote:Going to join the chorus that this build is proper!!!!!! That bike looks awesome and so good to see a level top tube colnago. I ride the 56S or the 60cm level TT - i got campy, deda and the same saddle. Might I ask you saddle height?

Thanks so much. I wanted the slightly shorter top tube vs the 56s so agonised before deciding on the 59t. Saddle height is about 800mm in line with the seat tube. It's possibly a couple of mm low (last fit reckoned 804mm) but I got the LBS to do a quick check and they reckon it's spot on. Certainly the strava segments indicate that I'm riding about as fast as ever and it feels very comfortable. Do you pics posted?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So here's a little sampling from the latest Colnago Limited Edition Ottanta5...
Gotta say, I like your paint scheme much more. The details on the top tube and back of the seat tube are really nice on yours whereas on this edition there are none of those details as far as I can tell. I suppose if you like glitter... then this is the Colnago for you.
Paint is silver with what looks like a bunch of fine colored glitter in it. Probably looks ok in the flesh, if not a little too razzle dazzle in sunlight...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

rjaync

by rjaync

@calnago - glad you posted this. I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw the arabesque lugs. Lots of excitement in the press about using the original logo like this one. I didn't realize it was so special. I do like mine better - the pearlescent white is much less 'in yer face' than the silver glitter. And I like the top tube paint detail better on mine. I was riding earlier today and looked down and thought 'like the ottanta5 but better...' :). I grabbed some average pics in the dying light for comparison. ImageImage

rjaync

by rjaync

@calnago reminded me that I'd forgotten to post a pic of the rear of the seat tube. I've been through the albums and realised I didn't take a clean shot whilst it was on the stand. In the meantime here's one from when it was partially built.

chris8382

by chris8382

Yeah, I can agree with taking the Specialized logos off the stem, but don't understand/agree with the Mavic criticism. Seems folks are being a bit silly to criticize you for Mavic but not having a problem with Speedplay....

rjaync

by rjaync

It's been decided. Deda superleggero on order. Everyone hates the SWorks stem and truthfully it was really only meant to be temporary as I don't want to run the shim system. The stack height is 9mm less so will need to play with the spacers and the adjusted angle but should finish it off nicely. @chris8382 - thanks for the support. I love the mavic wheels and they see to work well with someone who is not very svelte on the bike :)

chris8382

by chris8382

rjaync wrote:It's been decided. Deda superleggero on order. Everyone hates the SWorks stem and truthfully it was really only meant to be temporary as I don't want to run the shim system. The stack height is 9mm less so will need to play with the spacers and the adjusted angle but should finish it off nicely. @chris8382 - thanks for the support. I love the mavic wheels and they see to work well with someone who is not very svelte on the bike :)

Sorry, gave some bad advice. On second thought, that bike is not your color, does not fit you, and your wife is unhappy. But I am willing to help you out....just box it up and ship it to the address I provide.

rjaync

by rjaync

chris8382 wrote:Sorry, gave some bad advice. On second thought, that bike is not your color, does not fit you, and your wife is unhappy. But I am willing to help you out....just box it up and ship it to the address I provide.

This made me laugh. Thank you for your concern for my social and emotional wellbeing. I'd be happy to send it over.... except that after the hassle I had shipping my old SWorks when I sold it via eBay (buyer tried to defraud me) I think I'll be hanging onto it. Actually the whole 'selling the old bike' nightmare was so bad I'm done with eBay selling for good.

rjaync

by rjaync

New stem just arrived. Hopefully have it fitted at the weekend. Much more in keeping with the build. Will have to play with spacers etc as the current fit is about perfect but this has lower stack height and less drop (-8 vs -12 degrees). Image

rjaync

by rjaync

With the weight this time. Saves 45g vs the SWorks stem in there. Will lose some of the delta with extra spacers but still an impressive actual weight for a 120mm stem

rjaync

by rjaync

After fitting the Deda stem I managed to find a few mins to take some updated pictures. Light still a little strong but makes the pearlescent paintwork pop.

Shot along the top tube

New stem and matching tricolore on stem and spacers. I can possibly lose a couple of mm of spacers but the lower stack height meant I played it safe now.

Pictures of the arabesque lugs (look better than the Ottanta5 I think)

From the rear stays with the Colnago signature

And one more from the side :)

Thanks for all the comments and advice so far!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com