Trek Emonda SLR 58 H1 Campagnolo Record

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

When I bought the Madone 7 series in 60 H1 I was very pleased with the bike. It was stiff enough for me and very responsive yet relatively comfortable for a race bike. The only issue I had with the bike was the rear brake and also slightly higher stack - I would appreciate lower headtube combined with regular bars - not with Rotundos.

I was checking eBay everyday for Emonda SLR. I truly love Trek - the geometry suits me and I truly admire their details. Careful and trouble-free internal routing, seat mast design, BB90, direct mount brakes and the aggressive GEO of H1 is hard to find elsewhere. One day I got lucky and found Emonda SLR in 58 H1 - never ridden and in a great shape with other components for free. Black matte wasn't the most inspiring color, but the gold accents help.

There is so many Emondas everywhere and frankly I just love to have a bike which is completely different compare to the stock versions. The grouppo was therefore very important. I was getting the same feel of Di2 being boring and soul-less so I want to get back to mechanical. Shimano DA 9000 is everywhere and seems to be suddenly obsolete when r9100 hit the market, but the r9100 was over the budget. I always dislike DoubleTap shifiting so no SRAM either.

I decided to give Campagnolo another shoot and this time get Record instead Chorus. The only deviation is Chorus FD and Super Record 2014 crankset - I prefer the design and also the price was very tempting. Hopefully CULT will be as long lasting as others say. Found some Record cassette laying around so that save me some money as well.

This is very much work in progress so stay tuned! Pictures soon!

Frame, fork and hardware
Trek Emonda SLR H1 58 (w/o chain catcher, DuoTrap and w/ mech cable stops)..... 880g
Seat mast topper and saddle clamp hardware (175/20mm)..... 149g
Trek Campagnolo BB adapter Kit....... 20g
Fork (Uncut)..... 303g
Fork Compression Plug...... 27g
Full Headset...... 69g
Trek DuoTrap S Sensor..... 24g
S3 Chain catcher..... 11g
Subtotal: 1,483g

Groupset Campagnolo Record
Shifters Campagnolo Record..... 348g
Rear Derailleur Campagnolo Record..... 174g
Front Derailleur Campagnolo Chorus..... 80g
Crankset Campagnolo Super Record 177.5 53/39..... 603g
Front Brake Bontrager Speed Stop..... 124g
Rear Brake Bontrager Speed Stop..... 124g
Cassette Campagnlo Record 12-27..... 230?g
Chain Campagnolo Record..... 235g
Cables Jagwire Link..... 100g
Subtotal: 2,018g

Front Wheel
Reynolds Aero 46..... 562g
Lightweight Quick Releases..... 20g
Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm..... 280g
Total Front Wheel Weight: 862g

Rear Wheel
Reynolds Aero 46..... 696g
Lightweight Quick Releases..... 24g
Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm..... 280g
Total Rear Wheel Weight: 100g
Subtotal (wheels, tires and skewers)..... 1,862g

Finishing Kit
3T Rotundo Pro..... 253g
Deda Superzero 140mm..... ?g
Fizik Volta R3..... 235g
Look Keo Max... 235g
Bontrager RXL..... 36g
Fizik Classic Bar tape..... 72g
Finishing kit subtotal: ?g

Planned total weight: 6,200g ESTIMATE
Last edited by GorrGrimWolf on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Sounds great. Let's see it!
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

coloclimber wrote:Sounds great. Let's see it!

Congrats! From time to time, there's def some deals on Fleabay.

I would've guessed your SLR build weighed less.. need to see some pics to go along with your thorough weight listings.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

Seems like ages since I have received the frame and was seriously considering selling it one time. I just couldn't fall love with this particular frameset as I did the my previous Madone. The road feel was more muted and I was missing the snap during the acceleration, but the frame felt stiffer. Also the paint scheme wasn't to my liking as I prefer light-colored paint jobs.

Recently I have spent a week in Croatia with Emonda and since we covered about 800km in 6 days I learnt how to love it. Where the Madone was race car, this is gran turismo car - very efficient, relatively comfortable and well mannered. That frame is definitely a keeper. It does everything right and with the new Vittoria G+ tubs the frame just pops. The golden touch really sets the paint scheme off.

Here are few pictures. Taken by friend Jirka Parizek.

Last edited by GorrGrimWolf on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I love it! So, 58H1... I think it looks great. Not sure what you didn't like about it from the get go. And how could you love any bike with brakes mounted under and behind the bottom bracket... ugh! Personally, I think the Emonda looks way better than your old Madone.

Couple of questions.... How do you rate the direct mount brakes? I haven't really gotten behind them yet, as they look just too industrial/prototypish aesthetically and I don't think they really offer any performance advantages over the top standard mount rim brakes. But you've had a good test of them now... what are your thoughts on this?

Oh, and did you do the build yourself? If so, how did you find the fit of the campagnolo crankset in the BB90. Did it slip in without much effort (slipfit), or did you have to help it out a bit with a couple soft taps of a rubber mallet (slipfit+ :) )?

And one more personal question, so you don't have to answer of course, but do you mind me asking what you weigh, etc. I really like the Emondas geometry, but the ultra light weight of the frame kinda gives me cause for pause still. Although, I would likely trust Trek's offerings more than most others simply because you know it's been tested up the ying yang to destruction and failure points. But aside from that, how is it on a technical descent at speed, if you have that under your belt yet?

And while I'm full of questions, since I like it so much... do you have some fit measurements of your setup... like Saddle Height, Saddle to Bar Drop, Saddle nose to bars at stem, Saddle Setback... whatever you've got. I think it's nice to reference while looking at a nice build. And this is nice build in my opinion.

:beerchug:
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

stormp

by stormp

I have considered something like this for so long, it looks stunning!

locktopus

by locktopus

Damn, that looks beautiful. The gold on the frame is just the right amount of pop!

If I had to pick any nits it would be the mismatch of the "gold" cable housing and the gold paint. It would irritate the heck out of me.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Beautiful build. Absolutely stunning. I love the paint and the matching details (I'm not too much of a stickler for the mismatched gold - I know it's hard to perfectly match).

I'm definitely interested in hearing how you were able to fit the crank in the BB90 bottom bracket. Also, what's your impression of the brakes?

Delorre

by Delorre

Wow, great proportions on that bike!! Really like it. But, is it me, or did you mount the superzero upside down to avoid too much spacers? That's not lookng like a -8° stem to me.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha, Good eye @Delorre. If I may take the liberty of explaining... I was thinking of using this very stem on my C60 build. I actually have the stem but in the end didn't use it. Here's the deal... It actually does place the stem at a -8 degree angle, and the bottom edge of the stem is that angle. However, the stack height of the clamping area is only 36mm instead of the standard 40mm. So, the top edge of the stem actually looks like it's a -6 degree stem if your eye follows that line, and I think that is probably the natural line that most eyes would gravitate towards. If you were using a Deda Zero 100 -8 before, and want the same position with the SuperZero, you would mount it using exactly the same spacer arrangement underneath the stem, but you will likely need an extra spacer on top, or cut the steertube down a bit. in other words, use the bottom edge of the stem as your reference point when mounting. Basically, I liked the more slightly more aggressive "look" of the -8, or the -10 which is what I ended up with. I didn't think anyone would really notice one way or another... trust WW to pick up on that. Hope that made sense.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I am very pleased to read you like the build as having a beautiful bike is very important for me. After-all others spend more time starring at it than I do during the rides...

Brakes
Since I discovered the direct mount brakes on my Madone I was sold. For me they are simply superior in overall power and also in modulation - it a subtle difference, but it is there. The Bontrager Speed Stop brakes are very, very good. Being on Campa it makes it harder to compare them directly against Shimano Br-9010, but they feel very similar. The total power is perhaps touch lower, but the modulation is great. The design isn't for everyone's taste, but I like it - it kinda matches the raw carbon looks of Campagnolo. If you ask me, I prefer direct mount brakes any day of the week.

What I can definitely confirm is that Bontrager's are head and shoulder above Campagnolo direct mount offerings. Campa brakes just feel mushy a spongy - I am running Jagwire link which usually eliminates all the sponginess yet the brake feel was terrible. They are also very heavy and centering system is terrible - why on earth I should be centering each arm separately?

BB90 Instalation
As Calnago has already suggested, despite Trek advertising BB90 as a slip-fit, it is in fact much closer to the press fit. BB90 requires force to get the bearings in place. Proved by the same experience on Emonda SL, Madone 7 and this SLR.

For Campagnolo Ultra Torque crankset I usually don't use rubber mallet, but simply push both arms as far as I can with my bare hands into the frame and then simply keep tightening crankbolt until I hit the prescribe torque (all power I have in my arms). During the process you can watch how the bearings are disappearing within the frame nicely. It is dead silent.

Riders measurements
Dont worry Calnago, I have the same obsession. It is driving me crazy that they show PRO bikes and doesn't even mentioned the size he rides and never-mind the other measurements like saddle height and others. Since the pictures I have changed the bar back to my beloved 3T Rotundo - they simply work the best with Campagnolo levers. The round bend makes it harder to downshift from the drops.

Rider's height: 1.85m
Rider's weight: 73-76kg
Saddle height from center bottom bracket: 805mm
Nose of saddle to centre of bar: 620mm
Saddle to bar drop: 155mm
Saddle setback: 70mm

Handling
I believe the Emonda is amazingly light mainly due to the paint. Or better to say the lack of it... Vapor Coat save so many grams, just look how much weights my frame - 880 grams. Nothing terrestrial, but it very light indeed.

I simply trust Trek and never had a feeling the bike is too light for me. I currently weight 76kg and push around 1,300 watts during the sprint. I this is the stiffest bike I have ever owned - hands down. Even the during hard braking the bike handles well and feels amazing when climbing - especially outside the saddle.

We had the pleasure to enjoyed descent from Ucka (Vojak climb) in Croatia. The first third of the descent isn't very technical - high speed corners, but the rest is just one switchback after another. From 60 to 20-30 km/h every single time. I managed to be ranked TOP 5 on Strava. Never felt so confident when descending.

Delorre

by Delorre

Calnago wrote:Ha, Good eye @Delorre. If I may take the liberty of explaining... I was thinking of using this very stem on my C60 build. I actually have the stem but in the end didn't use it. Here's the deal... It actually does place the stem at a -8 degree angle, and the bottom edge of the stem is that angle. However, the stack height of the clamping area is only 36mm instead of the standard 40mm. So, the top edge of the stem actually looks like it's a -6 degree stem if your eye follows that line, and I think that is probably the natural line that most eyes would gravitate towards. If you were using a Deda Zero 100 -8 before, and want the same position with the SuperZero, you would mount it using exactly the same spacer arrangement underneath the stem, but you will likely need an extra spacer on top, or cut the steertube down a bit. in other words, use the bottom edge of the stem as your reference point when mounting. Basically, I liked the more slightly more aggressive "look" of the -8, or the -10 which is what I ended up with. I didn't think anyone would really notice one way or another... trust WW to pick up on that. Hope that made sense.

Yep, you're right, the eye is naturally focussed on the top of the stem. I compared that with other Deda stems, all -8°, incl. the superleggerra, with the same lower stack, and the Superzero is the only that gives the impression of a riser stem. From there my wrong conclusion that the stem might be reversed. But on closer look, the grphics are on the correct side of the stem, so I should have know that I was wrong :oops:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It can be hard to see the black on black graphics in the photo, but yes, they are rightside up. It's a nice looking stem, I just think it would have been nicer if they made the clamping collar the standard stack height of 40mm. Plus, I like a one piece face plate as opposed to the two piece design. I think it gives more surface contact to the bar and distributes the forces better, at least from an intuitive analysis.

But damn, I like the proportions and lines of this build. And the one thing I wasn't too keen on, the bars (which are very round bend), the OP has already changed to Rotundos, which are more classically shaped with a slight ramp down to the levers.

Perhaps if we ask nice we can get an updated pic of where things stand today?

squid046

by squid046

I have an Emonda and love it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

This is simply awesome and inspirational. I love it !!! Really, just superb.