Ryan goes offroad with a 2016 Cannondale Caadx

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Tomstr

by Tomstr

These are pretty light for their price. https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product ... -23mm-7414

I'm thinking of this or a handbuilt set with Kinlin XR30's for my TCX budget project
Ride it like you stole it

RyanH

by RyanH

Got some new rubber, and in the process lost almost 500g!

Schwalbe Rapid Rob @ 564g:

Compass Extralite Bon Jon Pass @ 316g:

Image20170121_144520

Second Tire @ 302g:

Looking better:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

Why did you get rid of the knobs?

RyanH

by RyanH

Almost everything around here is hard packed dirt with a little loose fill here and there. I'm thinking knobs are overkill plus they're terrible to turn with on pavement. Right now is experimentation mode. I want to see what the limits of a CX bike are. Maybe a MTB is in order. But, I'm really leaning towards having Craddock or Eriksen build me an all road bike.

I'm deathly afraid of heights (and launching off the side of a cliff) so exposed single track is not happening. According to my friends that MTB, that mostly leaves fire road type trails.

If I go all road, it'd be to do N-1. It depends on a few things though, part of which will be whether I like disc brakes enough that I really want them on the road bike. Right now the answer is no, but that's not exactly fair since the housing seems to be made of swiss cheese and full cable runs to the rear are bad. Once I have the Spyres and the Yokozunas, that'll be a better representation. The other thing is how much I like the Compass tires on the road. Then I'll have to wrap this all into whether I'll be OK with the 1KG weight penalty in the long term. If the tires and braking aren't game changers then I'll wait for a Litespeed T5g or Moots Routt to come up second hand so I can have a dedicated off road bike that matches my road bike, or just keep the caadx (geo is closer to the gravel bikes than a true CX bike but with a nice and low stack) and strip the paint to make it a little less garish.

afalts

by afalts

I'm just gonna throw it out there that I never really appreciated mechanical disc brakes. Didn't matter what housing or caliper (bb5, bb7, spyre's) I used, my 9000 rim calipers always felt more powerful.

Then I had a bike with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes (R785) and understood. They're way better, albeit heavier. 160 mm ice-tech rotors, and it didn't take long to decide that those were going to be on my next bike. They are now, and it's awesome. Perfect for all road bike too. No cables to get dirty and seize up, and automatically adjusts as the pads wear (I don't shy from riding in the rain).

TL;DR try some shimano hydraulics before throwing out the idea of having a bike built with discs if all you've tried is mechanical.

evan326

by evan326

What do you really plan to do with this bike?
I ask because I'm in a similar boat. The pic you showed looks similar to the kind of trails I have near me to ride. I also want to be able to use it for a 8mi commute and not worry as much about abusing it. Does having a drop bar on trails feel odd?

RyanH

by RyanH

@evan326 being on the hoods feels fine. Unlike on the road, being on the drops feels a little sketchier for some reason.

For me, having this bike is an opportunity to improve my bike handling skills in what us roadies would call sketchy terrain as well as get out and ride some new terrain. After my ride today in our torrential downpoud, I think I've given up on the idea of an all road bike because:

a) I really dislike 50/34 and you need the easy gears for offroad whereas I'm totally fine with 39/25 on the road. Even 34/28 I need to stand up at points on the trail and you lose traction.
b) Even at 40/50 psi for the Compass 35mm tires, they're not as supple as Veloflex Roubaix tubulars. I don't think the wet performance is as good either as I managed to lose traction on my descent in the rain today.
c) The really slack steering geometry helps a lot on difficult terrain whereas it's a compromise on the road. Descending at speed and going into a turn, the bike feels like it wants to right itself straight. I couldn't really push the bike since it was raining so I'll report back more on that later when it's dry.
d) Except when it's raining, rim brakes are all I need on the road. On the dirt, disc is really nice for the ability to modulate on bumpy terrain and crawl down when I need to. But, it's like a 1kg to 2kg penalty over a rim brake tubular setup.
e) Putting boutique carbon parts on a bike that'll see off road just means more expensive crashes during the learning phase.

So, with that being said, I like the idea of having a second bike that's oriented to dirt trail/fireroad riding and most likely commuting duty. Even in the downpour, the compass tires handled the trails I went on pretty well and they feel significantly better on the road. I'm going to keep my eye out for a Moots or Litespeed T5g though so I can be matchy matchy with the road bike.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Sounds like you need a dropper, a shorter stem or both.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

Interesting, so the idea is to fit the bike based on being in the drops? I've been looking at other gravel bikes, namely a T5g to having a matching bike, but the head tube height bothered me. I figured the stack height was to appeal to older, less flexible people but should the fit be brought up and back on a gravel bike for handling purposes?

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Really interesting build! And EXCELLENT choice of tyres!!
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

muffinman

by muffinman

I recently got a cross bike and when I first received it, I immediately slammed it and put a 120 stem on it to match my my evo's reach and stack. As soon as I raced my first race with it, I raised it 5cm and shortened reach by a cm because it handled so slowly at low speeds in mud and sand.

Also re: braking, shimano hydro is the only thing worth having, and the RS685 hoods never stay put, so hydro di2 is the only option I'd consider for a disc equipped bike.

mattr

by mattr

RyanH wrote:Interesting, so the idea is to fit the bike based on being in the drops?
No, it's about being able to use both. My positions CX/road are within a few mm of each other. Can (if need be) use the drops for extended time on both road and CX. If i wanted to. Jumping and rough stuff is easier on the hoods though, so is mounting/dismounting, only do that on the CX bike though. :wink:

zensport

by zensport

I know this is an older post, and I am wondering if you still have this bike. I am building a 2017 Cannondale CAADX, and using it for some gravel racing this year. Just curious as to how it evolved, if at all, and what weight you were able to get down to.