Colnago Master X-Light PR82

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

Here is my 2011 Colnago Master X-Light PR82 in size 51cm. This was my dream bike for a long time after I saw user cmh's on weight weenies years ago. I knew I had to have one so I began scouring eBay looking for one close to my size. It took about a year and a half but I finally found a NOS 2011 model that was never built up and still in the original box, plus it was at a great price. I have built this bike up in kind of a resto-mod style with what I think is a nice mix of chrome, carbon, and polished components and am very happy with how it turned out. The total weight is 8.05 kg. It could easily be lighter but I am content with the current weight and setup. I do not have weights of individual components unfortunately as I was so excited to get it built up I immediately started hanging parts on as they arrived. Let me know if you have any questions or want to see more pictures.

Frame: Colnago Master X-Light 51cm
Fork: Colnago Precisa
Wheelset: Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Clincher
Tires: Veloflex Master 25
Tubes: Vittoria Latex
Group: 2015 Campagnolo Record
Handlebar: Ritchey Classic 40cm
Stem: Ritchey Classic 110mm
Seatpost: Ritchey Classic
Saddle: Berk Lupina Padded
Bottle Cages: Elite Ciussi Inox
Headset: Campagnolo Record 1" Threadless
Garmin Mount: K-Edge
Chain Catcher: K-Edge
Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Handlebar Tape: Fizik Super light

My ideal size is a 52cm because of the slightly taller head tube, unfortunately one never popped up in that size during my long search. Please forgive the small spacer tower haha. As you can tell by the pictures it does not get ridden as often as it should, so my New Years resolution is to put some miles on this bike.

Eventually I will debandge the Ritchey components with acetone. I wish Deda would release light, good looking polished components as this build definitely deserves Italian components. And yes I know the front brake cable is slightly to short haha.

I know these cranks are a point of controversy on lugged steel frames and that most of you guys prefer the 5 arm Campagnolo cranks. I may eventually switch to the old style cranks, however right now I am pretty happy with how it looks and performs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Beautiful frame. I would de-logo the post and stem. As far as the group goes, yeah, Not crazy about the cranks but if you like them, so what? What bothers me more is the black brakes against the chrome forks, but I guess there are limited choices there. I run Delta's but I fully get that they're not for everyone (although if set up right they do actually work).
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

I would definitely put deltas on this thing if I had it built up with an older Campagnolo group. The black brakes don't bother me at all since the bike has a lot of black touches to it. I did try white handlebar tape and a white saddle and it looked terrible in my opinion because the bike has so much black everywhere else that it really clashed.

kgt

by kgt

What I would replace is the Ritchey parts. Other than that it looks nice.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

That's the plan if 3T or Deda ever come out with polished components that look half decent and don't weigh a ton. I know I could strip off the anodizing on stuff they currently offer and polish them up but that would be a lot of work just to keep it all Italian. Maybe one day Deda will figure out that a lot of people are building these type bikes and are looking for high end polished components.

3Pio

by 3Pio

SpecializedColnago wrote:That's the plan if 3T or Deda ever come out with polished components that look half decent and don't weigh a ton. I know I could strip off the anodizing on stuff they currently offer and polish them up but that would be a lot of work just to keep it all Italian. Maybe one day Deda will figure out that a lot of people are building these type bikes and are looking for high end polished components.
I just noticed ur build and is wonderfull.. And maybe i'll do it something similar :)

Wondering.. What is ur height and ur inseam? And what size are ur other bikes?

And how many spacers under the stem? (height of spacers)

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Beautiful! Maybe eliminating the wheel decals? That Saronni is so clean.

glepore

by glepore

The Ritchey parts would be fine if they were de-logo'd. Its the garish logos that detract. Sweet bike otherwise.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

micky

by micky

I agree with at least the Ritchey logo being taken off, otherwise sweet sweet ride!

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Really nice build. The Ritchey logos don't really bother me - they're so small, they get lost on the bike, IMO. I wouldn't even sweat the brakes, other than maybe switching them out for the (heavier) Potenza silver set. Enjoy it!

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

3Pio wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:08 am
SpecializedColnago wrote:That's the plan if 3T or Deda ever come out with polished components that look half decent and don't weigh a ton. I know I could strip off the anodizing on stuff they currently offer and polish them up but that would be a lot of work just to keep it all Italian. Maybe one day Deda will figure out that a lot of people are building these type bikes and are looking for high end polished components.
I just noticed ur build and is wonderfull.. And maybe i'll do it something similar :)

My height is 5'6" or 168cm and my inseam is 28.5" or 72cm. The colnago is a size 51cm, my Specialized Allez Sprint is a 52cm, and my Caad 9 is a size 50cm. Currently there are 15mm of spacers under the stem but i have not adjusted the fit in a few years because i never ride it. To match the fit on my other bikes ill need to remove all of the headset spacers and slam the stem directly on the head set. I currently run 9 cm of drop on my other 2 bikes whereas this one is currently at 7.5 cm of drop. My short legs kind of limit my choice in frames because the head tube needs to be 115mm or shorter to get my neccesary drop with a -12 stem.

LoCooO

by LoCooO

SpecializedColnago wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:24 pm
3Pio wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:08 am

My height is 5'6" or 168cm and my inseam is 28.5" or 72cm. The colnago is a size 51cm, my Specialized Allez Sprint is a 52cm, and my Caad 9 is a size 50cm. Currently there are 15mm of spacers under the stem but i have not adjusted the fit in a few years because i never ride it. To match the fit on my other bikes ill need to remove all of the headset spacers and slam the stem directly on the head set. I currently run 9 cm of drop on my other 2 bikes whereas this one is currently at 7.5 cm of drop. My short legs kind of limit my choice in frames because the head tube needs to be 115mm or shorter to get my neccesary drop with a -12 stem.
you have been a spectacular bike, very good taste!
At what height do you carry the saddle? I am looking for a Master frame, and I have doubts with the size, thanks

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

The saddle height is 695mm from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle with a setback of 47mm. My ideal frame size would probably have been a 52cm on this particular frame but I bought it used so I had to settle for a 51cm.

LoCooO

by LoCooO

SpecializedColnago wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:10 pm
The saddle height is 695mm from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle with a setback of 47mm. My ideal frame size would probably have been a 52cm on this particular frame but I bought it used so I had to settle for a 51cm.
Thank you very much for answering. Now I have doubts about what size to choose jejejej.
My height is 163 cm, a 77cm inseam, 59cm arms and I have a foot size 41.
Some recommend me the size 50 (in the junction of top tube or seat tube), in this frame, that would be a size 52. But I'm not really sure .........

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

The geometry is pretty normal on these frames except for the seat tube angle in the smaller sizes is steeper than a lot of other bikes which makes the TT feel longer than it measures because you have to adjust your saddle back.