Emonda ALR build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fadec

by Fadec

Yes Planet X ti skewers are always worth a look , mine are 43g had then about 5 years I seem to remember they were £ 14 at the time , bit dearer now probably.

minley1

by minley1

For budget Skewers, Mt Zoom are worth a look, 35g for the pair on the Road version, i'm running a set on both my Road bike and my XC bike, tried the KCNC before and found they didn't clamp well (on XC Bike).

by Weenie

golfsierra

by golfsierra

FIJIGabe wrote:What headset did you end up getting? I have a friend with the same bike, and he's trying to slam his stem, but doesn't know what the part number is. Thanks!

uh, I actually can't remember specifically, and the receipt I've got doesn't have it listed. Going for a ride with the tech that figured it out for me today, so I'll ask him. Was surprisingly more trouble than we thought it would be, called trek, called FSA, and neither had any wisdom.

grumpus wrote:Great color. Great bike. Trek has some impressive offerings these days.
For budget skewers, give planet x a look. The hylix seatposts seem to get mostly good reviews too.
What's your thinking for butyl training tubes? I've heard latex is more puncture resistant (I guess a little more expensive to replace if they do pop though).

Thanks! I think I will just end up with a Hylix, don't know why I'm being cautious when I'm going to run possibly even more sketchy carbon bars.
I run Butyl training tubes as they are easier to patch, cheaper to replace, and it makes the switch to Latex that much more noticeable when I put on my Schwalbes.

It seems Planet X is the consensus so far for skewers, I'll go shopping...and I'll also check out the Mt Zooms.

Appreciate the suggestions!

golfsierra

by golfsierra

First race is this weekend, but bars and eenut have not arrived, however I did get some skewers, Tune! Seem very solid, and a nice weight loss over what I was using previously.

golfsierra

by golfsierra

So a few updates.
Added skewers as seen before, eeTop and but expander set, new Michelin Power Competition 25s, and decided to chance it and throw on the set of Knock-off Bontrager one piece carbon bars. Getting close to calling it a day for the bike mod wise. Hovering around 7.4/16.4 kg/lbs. Going to switch to dura ace shifters and pedals, get a new seatpost, and if I'm feeling really wild, maybe some eeBrakes down the road, but for now, think I've found a solid combo for me.

SMITHERS

by SMITHERS

Great build!

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

^Agreed! Don't see too many treks around.

golfsierra

by golfsierra

Thanks guys. However, rode an Emonda SL today, man was it smooth...May see what the LBS could do on a frame, but is a project one SLR frame is also quite tempting. Still loving the bike though, but nice to get a little more context in the lineup.

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

Totally, project one is a great way to blow 10K+

I feel like it's the only way to go considering the 2018 colorways are kind of meh and H1 fit seems to be extinct.

53x12

by 53x12

golfsierra wrote:Thanks guys. However, rode an Emonda SL today, man was it smooth...May see what the LBS could do on a frame, but is a project one SLR frame is also quite tempting. Still loving the bike though, but nice to get a little more context in the lineup.

I'd be curious if you could tell much difference if any between the SL vs. your ALR if you had the same wheels/tires/seat/tire pressure...etc.? On rougher roads I'm sure, but on well maintained roads I'm not sure if you would be able to. How much is the SL frameset now, $1600 ish? I want to say the weight of the SL frameset is right around that of the ALR, ~1050 grams. So definitely not a WW frame. The SLR would definitely be a better option.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

golfsierra

by golfsierra

Yeah, I reckon you're right about the SL. Can get an SLR frameset for relatively cheap, but think I'm just gonna build up this frame a little more and get one of the new SLR frames when they are more readily available.

In any case, got a new saddle/seatpost and changed bartape color. Next and close to last thing I'm gonna do is 9100 shifty-bits and a new cockpit. Still trying to decide on cockpit, probably between Extralite Stem and Bontrager XXX bars and PRO vibe set.
How she sits now. Cracked my ebay knockoff XXX combo bars, so back to Bontrager Bars, FSA OS168 stem.

loudtiger

by loudtiger

what bar tape is that in the picture with the ebay knockoff bars? it looks great. i've seen some of these emondas around town and really like them.

golfsierra

by golfsierra

Bontrager Cork tape.

golfsierra

by golfsierra

Ordered Bontrager XXX VR-C bars, DA9100 shifters, and a Kalloy Uno. Still deciding on stem, but thought the Kalloy would be a good placeholder for now. If anyone has got an Extralite 110mm stem they want to get ride of, let me know...

Getting pretty close to calling this finished, or purchasing one of those new SLR frames and switching everything over to that

by Weenie

golfsierra

by golfsierra

New XXX VR-C bars, 120mm Kalloy stem, eBay seat post clamp, DA9100 shifters. Next up is a set of Aeolus 3 wheels and 9100 pedals. As the bike sits now, it is 16lbs 5oz or 7.39k