2017 Specialized Allez Sprint LTD II (Now Red Hook Crit)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I can comfortably do 160km rides on my Allez, it's lower than my Tarmacs but smart component choice makes it comfortable.
Using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

thedonnydino wrote:They designed them to be low and mean for crit racing. I have had bikes set up a number of ways for different things. For crit racing i prefer to have knee in front of pedal spindle, a long stem, and very low. In fact, a bike i had custom designed is almost identical to the allez sprint. I'm buying an allez sprint because of the rad colours.

These aren't exactly 'stage' bikes, or all day bikes. If you want a bike like that you're better off with a tarmac or the original allez. A fit is largely driven by the particular use of a bike. You can have multiple fits for different bikes.

I agree 100%... I was just pointing out the differences because I've seen/heard people make the assumption that the Sprint is the same geo as the other Specialized bikes and they see pictures of bad ass sprints built up, slammed.. and they want that look, but don't realize that the stack height is 15mm lower.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Slam lyf...Image
Using Tapatalk

KWalker

by KWalker

The geo isn't what makes it not an "all-day" bike-I've done 90 mi races over gravel on one and it wasn't bad because of that, but because of the seatpost compliance. Not sure why they didn't try to build something with some sort of flex or elastomer to maybe help even a little bit.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Because with a carbon rail saddle 100+km days aren't that bad on it?... They're a crit bike, not a cheap fondo rig...
Using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

KWalker wrote:The geo isn't what makes it not an "all-day" bike-I've done 90 mi races over gravel on one and it wasn't bad because of that, but because of the seatpost compliance. Not sure why they didn't try to build something with some sort of flex or elastomer to maybe help even a little bit.

C'mon dude, seriously? You're a Cat 3 that's raced 110+ races in the last 6 years and probably thousands of hard miles under your belt along the way. Because you can deal with full-on race geometry for 90 mile races is hardly exemplary of the fact that a normal joe should as well. I'm not disagreeing with you on the seat post though. All in all, its a bike built for racing (particularly crit racing IMO), NOT for comfort... that doesn't mean its impossible to ride it and enjoy it on long rides, just something that possible purchasers should be aware of. I pointed out the geo, in particular, because I think that's something a LOT of people overlook. They see a bad ass sprint, built up on instagram and they want that look, but don't realize what that stack height really means for their own riding style and they think that because they're on a Tarmac that's slammed, the sprint will be the same.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Followed me home....Image
Using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I wanted 9100 for mine.. Wound up with another bike haha.
Bars, stem and saddle swapped out now just need to change the BB so I can throw the P2M on it :)
Using Tapatalk

KWalker

by KWalker

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
KWalker wrote:The geo isn't what makes it not an "all-day" bike-I've done 90 mi races over gravel on one and it wasn't bad because of that, but because of the seatpost compliance. Not sure why they didn't try to build something with some sort of flex or elastomer to maybe help even a little bit.

C'mon dude, seriously? You're a Cat 3 that's raced 110+ races in the last 6 years and probably thousands of hard miles under your belt along the way. Because you can deal with full-on race geometry for 90 mile races is hardly exemplary of the fact that a normal joe should as well. I'm not disagreeing with you on the seat post though. All in all, its a bike built for racing (particularly crit racing IMO), NOT for comfort... that doesn't mean its impossible to ride it and enjoy it on long rides, just something that possible purchasers should be aware of. I pointed out the geo, in particular, because I think that's something a LOT of people overlook. They see a bad ass sprint, built up on instagram and they want that look, but don't realize what that stack height really means for their own riding style and they think that because they're on a Tarmac that's slammed, the sprint will be the same.

Man your response really illustrates what is wrong with cyclists and what drove me out of the sport- complete arrogance based on one's perceived abilities and attributes. You racing in Australia at some level and me racing here on some level somehow makes one of us more or less knowledgeable than the other.

But that's not as bad as your comprehension of English and ability to read. I agreed with you. Pretty simply as well. I noted sentiments both of us and others expressed regarding vertical compliance. People not being able to read stack and reach charts is common across all bike brands, models, and types.

I can deal with it fine and I even said I saw no issues with geo ever. My team raced the Allez Sprint at the NCC level and many raced events such as the Belgian Waffle Ride on it. But thanks for mis-reading and going on a diatribe designed to discredit me as a bike rider, racer, and person. I was simply trying to say that geo is geo and one can use it for nearly anything once they get used to it. Any issues with the bike are likely due to the frame design and materials transferring impact and I am surprised that Specialized didn't do a bit more to make a more compliant seatpost to smooth things out even further.

We are saying the same things but you decided to be a reactionary about it basically. I believe most people overemphasize geo because they either suck at bike handling, are convinced they have to slam, or think they need some custom fit parameters. Unfortunately you can't Google my experiences in any of those areas, but in all those races I managed to only get in 1 crash (caused by other riders) and generally was very good at technical descents and courses. In the races I did on an Allez I had to borrow bikes in 3 sizes and get used to them in the warm-up and somehow they all raced juuuuust fine.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

KWalker - biggest pussy on the internet. 6 years of racing and still only Cat 3?! LOL.

KWalker

by KWalker

Racing category=manliness for sure. Forget real jobs, skills, or responsibilities. Or being one of the few people that doesn't get caught up in those things and doesn't just spout off random shit in the power profile thread. Also, I don't race anymore and, thanks to a pretty bad hip break and recovery, likely never will again.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

KWalker wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:

Man your response really illustrates what is wrong with cyclists and what drove me out of the sport- complete arrogance based on one's perceived abilities and attributes. You racing in Australia at some level and me racing here on some level somehow makes one of us more or less knowledgeable than the other.

But that's not as bad as your comprehension of English and ability to read. I agreed with you. Pretty simply as well. I noted sentiments both of us and others expressed regarding vertical compliance. People not being able to read stack and reach charts is common across all bike brands, models, and types.

I can deal with it fine and I even said I saw no issues with geo ever. My team raced the Allez Sprint at the NCC level and many raced events such as the Belgian Waffle Ride on it. But thanks for mis-reading and going on a diatribe designed to discredit me as a bike rider, racer, and person. I was simply trying to say that geo is geo and one can use it for nearly anything once they get used to it. Any issues with the bike are likely due to the frame design and materials transferring impact and I am surprised that Specialized didn't do a bit more to make a more compliant seatpost to smooth things out even further.

We are saying the same things but you decided to be a reactionary about it basically. I believe most people overemphasize geo because they either suck at bike handling, are convinced they have to slam, or think they need some custom fit parameters. Unfortunately you can't Google my experiences in any of those areas, but in all those races I managed to only get in 1 crash (caused by other riders) and generally was very good at technical descents and courses. In the races I did on an Allez I had to borrow bikes in 3 sizes and get used to them in the warm-up and somehow they all raced juuuuust fine.

Was that response meant for me? I'm not from Australia at all, not sure where that came from.... and yes, I'm agreeing with you that Specialized made some choices in terms of materials and design that in order to meet their goals to make an inexpensive, aero, crit killer bike. The idea actually was a morph form the Venge Lunch Race bike, but I think they realized that the carbon Venge wasn't a hugely popular choice amongst the crit cows due to price when/if the bike gets crashed. In terms of your racing experience, I was bringing it up because to me, someone that has gotten to a Cat 3 has put in a fair bit of miles and race time and is usually in pretty good shape. They're more fit and flexible and able to adapt pretty easily to riding a more extreme position... compared to someone that is just a general rider, doing a group ride on the weekend and maybe 1 or 2 fondos a year.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

First world problems. Keep the P2M on Spesh cranks or sell it for a Pioneer on 9100 setup....
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

P2M Speci is baller- light, stiff, and looks damn nice. Plus no magnets....
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike