2017 Specialized Allez Sprint LTD II (Now Red Hook Crit)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

fezi wrote:
SpecializedColnago wrote:
fezi wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:Bastard....

Would of preferred the Red Hook version I rang up to get but you know the score there.... :?

I had my sales rep ready to backorder the red hook crit color before he even knew they were going to be released. Kind of bad when the customer just using social media has more info on availability of limited release stuff then the specialized rep. I kind of feel like a jerk sometimes when Specialized announces the limited colors that I want because I have to pester my local shop and rep so much to insure they remember to order as soon as they become available. My local shop is not anywhere near as up to date on cool limited release stuff like a lot of the shops in Australia it seems.

Two out of the above 3 posters are complete specialized fanboys, so they know more than most. Me I just wanted a cheap beater while I wait for disc's to be legal and actually available in the top spec groupsets. Semi pissed I missed the Red Hook version but the PS version is a suitable replacement

hey... I should be on that Specialized FanBoy list! Clearly, I haven't been active enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Really wanting a RHC frameset....
Using Tapatalk

YungLegs

by YungLegs

Just ordered my Allez DSW Sagan frameset with SRAM Force 22 & Specialized Stem/Aerofly combo.
Still not sure if I'll be doing a Specialized S-WORKS SL Stem or rather upgrade to a chuncky ZIPP Sprint SL or PRO Vibe Sprint Carbon.

Sorry to say that this will not be a WW project I guess (with fairly heavy all day purpose alloy wheels), but this will be my only bike since I crashed mine last year.
Very much looking forward to the ride quality & frame itself. Visiting LBS this weekend for measurements & choosing my full list of gear.

I'll try to take pictures once the machine is done!

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

YungLegs wrote:Just ordered my Allez DSW Sagan frameset with SRAM Force 22 & Specialized Stem/Aerofly combo.
Still not sure if I'll be doing a Specialized S-WORKS SL Stem or rather upgrade to a chuncky ZIPP Sprint SL or PRO Vibe Sprint Carbon.

Sorry to say that this will not be a WW project I guess (with fairly heavy all day purpose alloy wheels), but this will be my only bike since I crashed mine last year.
Very much looking forward to the ride quality & frame itself. Visiting LBS this weekend for measurements & choosing my full list of gear.

I'll try to take pictures once the machine is done!

Pretty awesome... I like the Sagan frames better than the Red Hook Crit frame set, but I'm all really pleased with my non-sprint frame. :)

YungLegs

by YungLegs

For those who want another look, I found these:

27brad72

by 27brad72

Some beautiful allez builds.

My local shop has the Sagan paint scheme in my size that I am tossing up buying. My question however is how does the sprint go for gran fondo's and the like in terms of comfort. The last allez I had was in the early 2000's so not much comparison there.

cheers

aqualelaki

by aqualelaki

I switch back and forth between my S-works Tarmac and Allez sprint. Definitely the level of comfort is way different but usually in about 10 - 15 minutes of riding Allez my body adapt to that easily. I don't think you have a problem if you're actively riding

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

27brad72 wrote:Some beautiful allez builds.

My local shop has the Sagan paint scheme in my size that I am tossing up buying. My question however is how does the sprint go for gran fondo's and the like in terms of comfort. The last allez I had was in the early 2000's so not much comparison there.

cheers

I have a 'non-sprint' DSW Allez and also a Venge Pro, both of which, I think, most people would not consider to be 'comfortable' bikes, but I average 250 miles a week/14 hours between the two. I've ridden them both on 80+ mile rides and I'd say the Allez is a little bit more harsh, but not much. It is definitely better than the previously aluminum bike I had. The Sprint is supposed to be more comfortable than my DSW Allez, with the dropped seat stays, but it also has the super beefy BB section and aero seat post of the Venge, so I can't see the comfort bring that different. I think comfort really comes down to tires. If you run some nice supple tires, 25's or bigger and you can run them at 90-100 pounds (based on your weight) you should be ok.

27brad72

by 27brad72

Thanks for the input guys. It a toss up between the Allez or Tamac but there is certainly more bang for buck with the Allez so could build up with nice stuff. I run 25 at teh moment but see 28's could fit on the Allez

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

27brad72 wrote:Thanks for the input guys. It a toss up between the Allez or Tamac but there is certainly more bang for buck with the Allez so could build up with nice stuff. I run 25 at teh moment but see 28's could fit on the Allez

28's should definitely fit. I ran S-Works Turbo 26's on my Allez and on my wide rims they actually measured 27.25. I'm sure that 28's would fit. Personally, I think the really big tires start to look funny on a road bike and I've heard people complain about them being harder to accelerate. The 25/26 range seems to be the perfect range for me in terms of aesthetics, comfort, and speed.

27brad72

by 27brad72

CrankAddictsRich wrote:28's should definitely fit. I ran S-Works Turbo 26's on my Allez and on my wide rims they actually measured 27.25. I'm sure that 28's would fit. Personally, I think the really big tires start to look funny on a road bike and I've heard people complain about them being harder to accelerate. The 25/26 range seems to be the perfect range for me in terms of aesthetics, comfort, and speed.

Cheers mate. I run the Roubaix Pro 23/25's currently but did also like the Conti GP4000's in the 25 size.

Assuming I can pick up the frame and the CFO agrees, think I might build her up with Sram force 22, speedplays, Roval CLX 40's, power saddle, and check my fit for bar and stem.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

27brad72 wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:28's should definitely fit. I ran S-Works Turbo 26's on my Allez and on my wide rims they actually measured 27.25. I'm sure that 28's would fit. Personally, I think the really big tires start to look funny on a road bike and I've heard people complain about them being harder to accelerate. The 25/26 range seems to be the perfect range for me in terms of aesthetics, comfort, and speed.

Cheers mate. I run the Roubaix Pro 23/25's currently but did also like the Conti GP4000's in the 25 size.

Assuming I can pick up the frame and the CFO agrees, think I might build her up with Sram force 22, speedplays, Roval CLX 40's, power saddle, and check my fit for bar and stem.

One thing to be aware of regarding fit on the Allez Sprint... the head tube is SMALL, so even if you run a fairly aggressive setup on your current bike, most likely you'll be running a fair bit of spacers on the sprint to match your fit. I run both my Allez and my Venge pretty slammed and if I was gonna have the same fit on a Sprint, I'd be running 15mm of spacers.

27brad72

by 27brad72

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
One thing to be aware of regarding fit on the Allez Sprint... the head tube is SMALL, so even if you run a fairly aggressive setup on your current bike, most likely you'll be running a fair bit of spacers on the sprint to match your fit. I run both my Allez and my Venge pretty slammed and if I was gonna have the same fit on a Sprint, I'd be running 15mm of spacers.

Wow mate those bikes look sooo good.

If I go for the 58 the geometry is pretty much spot with the stack only being 15mm lower than my current setup. The shorter top tube helps a little also to go with my long legs and short arms. I'd end up with 70-100m saddle to bar drop

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

They designed them to be low and mean for crit racing. I have had bikes set up a number of ways for different things. For crit racing i prefer to have knee in front of pedal spindle, a long stem, and very low. In fact, a bike i had custom designed is almost identical to the allez sprint. I'm buying an allez sprint because of the rad colours.

These aren't exactly 'stage' bikes, or all day bikes. If you want a bike like that you're better off with a tarmac or the original allez. A fit is largely driven by the particular use of a bike. You can have multiple fits for different bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com