Introducing myself and my CAAD 12 update 7.2kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

evan326

by evan326

Been busy at work so I've been letting myself spend some in return. Here is my updated google sheet
Cannondale SpideRing SL 52/36 171.7g -41.8g

Hollowgram Si 172.5mm, SpideRing SL 52/36 complete crank 586.5g (minus 257.5g pedals I didn't feel like taking off.) -159.2g

K-Edge Pro Chaincatcher 15g +15g

Scale shot with carbon cone spacer, crank update, and chain catcher 7710g

SRAM XG-1190 11-25 Cassette 155.7g -116.7g

Garmin Speed Sensor 16.3g (always been there, never bothered to weigh it) +16.3g

Garmin Cadence Sensor 10.6g (always been there, never bothered to weigh it) +10.6g

After swapping in SRAM cassette 7600g with pedals

Complete with lights and camera mounts

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Why do you have a speed sensor on the rear hub? Garmins come with built in speed sensors?...

Weights coming down nicely though.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

evan326

by evan326

I don't have a bike computer. I use my garmin 620 watch that I run with also.
I am getting to the point where I could use some suggestions. I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the merlin dura ace sale and use all of my tax refund.
After I get 9100 shifters, rd, and maybe brakes, I'm not sure what more I can scrape weight from without getting really expensive. I've got the 6800 brakes already, I'm really leaning torwards just sticking with them though. Even for $238, that's pretty pricy for saving an odd 20g. I've got an kmc x11sl chain and some ti stem bolts on order, and plan to get some jagwire elite link once I get the rd and shifters.

Ideas?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

You can save 25g for £15 with some LifeLine Pro carbon / Ti skewers.

Other than that, it's your wheels really letting you down.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

evan326

by evan326

I'll check out the skewers, but I already spent $70 on the zipps. In hindsight, I should have looked harder first. They look so cool though!
YES WHEELS! I forgot to mention, I'm down to a set of far sports 38mm carbon, or soul 2.0. I want something cheap and light now, with plans to get something nicer from November or custom in the future.
What's your opinion on brakes? The consensus on the net seems to be shimano has by far the best performance, but also the most weight. Can I do much better than 20g for $240? The performance of the ultegra is 1000x better than the tektros that came with it. I don't know any better or worse though.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Great Updates.. FYI I have the 38mm and 50mm ICAN carbon Clinchers and have been pretty happy with the quality for the price. My 38's with sapim CX-Ray spokes weigh 1350 grams and the cheaper 50's weigh just under 1550.

To save some decent weight on my CR1, I picked up some KCNC brakes and they saved some massive weight at about 160 grams for BOTH. But I live in the flat lands and braking performance isn't as crucial. IMO with the carbon clinchers and KCNC brakes I never once felt I couldn't come to a controlled stop.

:)
:beerchug:

evan326

by evan326

I'm guessing SFL means south Florida? If so I'm envious, I went down A1A last year and wish I brought my bike.
I'm in Virginia, so no huge descents either. I have heard some very mixed reviews on the kcnc brakes. While I don't need huge braking power, I do need full confidence in it.
Thanks for pointing me to another wheel set to check out

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

evan326 wrote:I'm guessing SFL means south Florida? If so I'm envious, I went down A1A last year and wish I brought my bike.
I'm in Virginia, so no huge descents either. I have heard some very mixed reviews on the kcnc brakes. While I don't need huge braking power, I do need full confidence in it.
Thanks for pointing me to another wheel set to check out

Yes, South Florida. It's nice for year round riding weather but I wish we had more hills!

If I cant score some used EE's for my build, I will use KCNC's on my CAAD. The wheelset is pretty decent for the price and they come in less then a week from asia. The Powerway R13 hub is a decent hub and the CX-Ray spokes are top quality. One Morning, I ran over some very large debris that lodged its self in between the spokes and frame. It locked my rear tire up at about 21+ mph , sliced my tire/tube, and made me almost crash but I was surprised the wheel held up and no spokes snapped.

http://a.co/cu93rbz - That is the wheelset.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

evan326 wrote:@FLtrooper:
Also what do you mean that the uno stem is loud?

Sorry for delay, I just noticed that last portion.

My 110 Kalloy on my scott is always making creaking noises.. I have tried different bars, cleaning headset, etc... it seems the stem has slight flex and just makes annoying creaking.

evan326

by evan326

Did you try fiber grip on the steerer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

evan326 wrote:Did you try fiber grip on the steerer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yes... I'm going to try slapping on the other new Uno stem I have laying around.

On a side note..I'm impressed with the cannondale C3 stem weight! I would definitely trade a couple grams for something stiffer!

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Is the 5mm dust cap you have pictured at 4 grams the KP-253? If so that's pretty light!

evan326

by evan326

Yea, it is alloy.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

evan326 wrote:Yea, it is alloy.

Sweet...are you currently using the 5mm or 30mm setup? And the bottom bearing just slides on the fork with no type of dust cover?

evan326

by evan326

The factory setup was a 25mm alloy conical spacer with a rubber seal, directly on top of the bearing. The top end caad 12 came with the carbon spacer. I got the super six 25mm carbon spacer, which needs the 5mm alloy dust cover underneath it. I'm pretty sure you need at least the 5mm cover all the time. I'm far from slammed, I just started experimenting moving one 5mm spacer above the stem. It may not look "cool" but it's what fits me

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com