Introducing myself and my CAAD 12 update 7.2kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

evan326

by evan326

The Hylix post has been fine sofar. Only a few gripes: the cradle is pictured as the same 3k finish on ebay but mine was matte black, The top and the cradle I'm pretty sure are aluminum wrapped carbon instead of carbon as pictured, the bolts are two different sizes. Not deal breakers but, just to let you know. It moved my seat forward enough for me since the s-works toupe's rails are shorter than my last saddle. I think it has softened my ride a bit too, but that could just be placebo. I'm waiting on a new one though, I'm the only idiot in the world who breaks carbon with a torque wrench.... I only lowered my torque by 10% for a greased bolt, not noting that teflon grease needs to be lowered by 50% :doh: Lesson learned I guess. Still huge weight savings for cheap, $.45/g saved
I see a lot of people talking up the sram red cassette, the price tag scares me away. I'm not sure if I can justify spending $200 on a part that wears out fairly quickly like a chain. How many avg miles could you expect out of the red cassette? The ultegra is about $150 less, lighter than my 105, and would give me the 11-25 gearing I want to change to.
I've tossed the idea of latex or supersonics, but reviews have me thinking they're not worth the frailty. I've heard that they both can rip very easily during installation. What are velo plugs?

Ryanw: That's about the same tire and tube swap I did, I didn't notice the tubes, but the tires WOW!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I've done a little table that may help, red are the items I'm yet to upgrade.

I've sorted them out in order of 'Grams per £', please ask if you want to know any specifics.

Goes to show that the groupset pars (Ultegra to DA) really aren't worth doing at the front end...

(Items that cost zero are items I already had).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 18.01.37.png
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

evan326

by evan326

ryanw wrote:I've done a little table that may help, red are the items I'm yet to upgrade.

I've sorted them out in order of 'Grams per £', please ask if you want to know any specifics.

Goes to show that the groupset pars (Ultegra to DA) really aren't worth doing at the front end...

(Items that cost zero are items I already had).

In my OP I have a link to my Google spreadsheet. On the parts page is where my breakdown of that is probably most clear. The comparisons page is the main one I use, but it may be a little chaotic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

evan326

by evan326

Also, where are you getting these prices for DA mechs?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

evan326 wrote:Also, where are you getting these prices for DA mechs?

They're in pounds and from Rose Bikes: https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shi ... AmTv8P8HAQ
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

evan326

by evan326

OK you're looking at 9000 not, 9100 like I am. I was shocked for a second, exchange rate aside!

nvroadie

by nvroadie

For the installation of latex tubes, you put them in a bag of talcum powder, which acts as a dry lubricant, allowing the tube to slide properly into place. Using this method I have never had a tube fail. I forgot to mention this earlier, but with latex tubes, I have found that the ride quality is on par with tubulars.

evan326

by evan326

I've heard of that method, also used with thin butyl like supersonics. The extra few grams didn't seem like worth the possibility of me wasting them installing. I have a habit of doing something stupid when it's the first time I've done it.

evan326

by evan326

Haven't updated this in a while.
Finally got a scale, will add pics soon. Full weight with pedals is 7760g
I found a set of 44mm c1 bars that I need to get around to putting on. New hylix seat post is in after over two months of shipping woes. Seller was helpful all the way, and the second one weighed less at 138.6g. I also am waiting to get the 10 arm spidering I just ordered too.
I've been convinced about the xg1190 cassette, I just ordered one in 11-25. I don't have many hills long enough to use the 28 so adding another gear in the middle made sense to me. Any issues I should know about with mixing the sram cassette with shimano rd? I am getting a kmc x11 sl chain to go with the new cassette and chainring. Pics to follow

evan326

by evan326

Hollowgram Si 172.5mm NDS 162.6g & Hollowgram Si 172.5mm DS 165.2g
Image Image
Cannondale Si 172.5mm NDS 220.5g & Cannondale Si 172.5mm DS 222.8g
Image Image
Older Cannondale C1 100mm Stem 126.3g
Cannondale FSA Si Expander 49.5g
Cannondale Si EVO Expander 16g
Alloy Bottle Cage Bolts 4.6g
FSA 52/36 Chainset 213.5g
Hollowgram 109mm Spindle 64.6g
SiSL2 Crankbolts 13g & BB30A Spacers 4.9g
Image Image
Hollowgram Si FSA 52/36 Crankset Complete 627.1g
Cannondale C1 Bars 44mm 255.5g
New Cannondale C1 100mm Stem 115.5g
Cannondale C1 110mm Stem 123.2g
Hylix 25.4 Seatpost Ti bolts 138.6g
Cannondale BallisTec Full Carbon Fork 358.6g
Dirty FSA Headset Bearings 51g
Cannondale Evo Carbon 25mm Spacer 16g
5mm Dust Cover 4g
Total weight with pedals, cages, and garmin sensors 7760g
Image Image
Last edited by evan326 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

evan326

by evan326

Some outdoor shots after a fresh wash removed 20g of dirt!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Note: when I installed the hollowgram arms with my fsa rings, I needed to file down the chain stop pin about 4mm or else it was flexing the ring.
Just for future reference

Goldsprint

by Goldsprint

Hi! I am looking for new inputs for my CAAD12 Disc Di2 build.

Which stem can you recommend?
I currently own the Uno. Is the c1 ultralight lighter than the Uno?

How is the comfort with the Hylix seatpost? Do you have a comparison to the Cannondale Save?

evan326

by evan326

I have collected a few stems trying different things. The uno is the lightest one of them all, I'm not sure if they're titanium, but the bolts aren't steel. I'm not sure how much I trust the stiffness of it though. For now I'm running the c1 ultralight. If you look at the weights page on my google sheet, I've got weights listed for all of the stems.
I don't have the save post, but the hylix post is pretty dang light, and has really cushy. I got the full carbon saddle at the same time, so I don't know which made more of the difference. I would definitely at least try the hylix post first given how much cheaper/lighter it is. They recently came out with a setback version also.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Nice progression! Seeing your weight has me worried about getting to 6.8kg without spring to much on my project..

Btw.. I have had great luck with a hylix Seat post on my Scott but the uno/kalloy stem sure is loud. I already have another Uno stem for the Caad and plan to order the hylix seatpost!

:)
:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

@FLtrooper: Check out the google sheet in the OP, on the comparisons page you can see where my current setup is vs other cost setups. Assuming by the weight that my steerer was cut a little bit before I bought it. If you can do with out as many spacers as I have, cut your steerer down, trim your seat post, your planned sram setup would be much lighter. I think you could get to your goal. I'm just doing this over time because I have to save for the big purchases.
That being said: got some updates!
Also what do you mean that the uno stem is loud?