Anodized Black CAAD12

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

evan326

by evan326

plpete wrote:would definitely use some recommendations on light butyl tubes.

Continental race 28 light are about 150 a set. From what I've read much lighter than that and you might as well use latex.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

KC

by KC

I've had fantastic luck over the last five or six year with continental super sonic tubes. Much better luck than I've had with latex, easy to patch on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plpete

by plpete

Bike is almost finished. The only things I still need are a stem and a Stages powermeter arm. Going with Stages as it will be light, allow me to keep the crank, which I like very much for its looks and weight, and it's all I really need to racing. Not like I'll be looking at my numbers the whole time while racing :lol: I have a Quarq Elsa on my BMC SLR01 that I can always use as well. Did three days of solid riding so far and loving the bike. I know this sounds hard to believe but with the set up below the bike felt as comfortable as my carbon bike. It really rides that smooth. Might be too smooth for some. You still feel the bigger bumps and it's not plush by any means but I feel comfortable doing 100mi on it. With the stock 100mm stem and no PM yet the bike comes in exactly at 6.8kg

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Looks awesome.

I'm mid build with mine as I type. Just put 44g skewers, DA9000 mechs, KMC-SL11 chain and DA 11-25T cassette on it.

Mines the disc model but looking to buy the same wheels as you (disc version). How are you finding them?

Had my C2 stem off last week too, 108g with bolts. Bloody light but only 100mm.

Also, where did you get your bearing cap from? Wanna slam my stem too.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

ryanw wrote:Looks awesome.

I'm mid build with mine as I type. Just put 44g skewers, DA9000 mechs, KMC-SL11 chain and DA 11-25T cassette on it.

Mines the disc model but looking to buy the same wheels as you (disc version). How are you finding them?

What's your Dura-ace disc version weighing in at?

I'm considering the Ultegra version, which is currently £1449 at Leisure Lakes...

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

markgoldstein wrote:
ryanw wrote:Looks awesome.

What's your Dura-ace disc version weighing in at?

I'm considering the Ultegra version, which is currently £1449 at Leisure Lakes...

At present it's 8kg on the nose with pedals, cages, mounts (ready to ride). That's with the standard Mavic wheels (2045g).

Just picked up a pair of Mavic Krysium Pro SL C Discs which will drop the weight down to 7.5kg.

Aim is to be around 7kg once complete.

It's my daily commuter so needs to be robust and practical.

kervelo

by kervelo

Not much progress in my CAAD12 project lately. Still waiting for some parts to arrive, at the moment also do not have much time to use for building.

While waiting for other parts, decided to tune an old Arx Team stem to better match the new frame colors.

The stem is most likely just a temporary solution. I think it is a bit too long for this bike, but I will still start with it. Did the similar tuning for an Ergosum Pro handlebar also: removed the white arc from the left side of the bar.

kervelo

by kervelo

Today had some spare time and decided to install the bottom bracket and the cranks to the frame.

The installation of the wishbone bb was very smooth. Before installation I lightly greased the bb shell, then just screwed in the halves of the bottom bracket. Finished by tightening them with the two bb tools that came with the bracket. The painted finish of the wishbone bb seems to be of good quality, the tools did not leave any marks to the surface.

Installing the fulcrum cranks required some more effort. The ultra torque bearings were very tight fit to the bb and it took me quite a long time to slide them into the bb so deep that I was then able to finish installation with the connecting screw. The result was good and the cranks are now spinning smoothly in the bottom bracket.

I had earlier tested the fit of the crank bearings to the bottom bracket and I knew that the tolerances are very small. If the crank bearing is not pushed into the bb in the perfect angle, it will not go in without force; but if the angle is correct, it just slides in. I just hope I did not cause any damage to the bb when wrestling with it today. :D

During the previous weeks I already had installed the stem and bar (3T arx team, ergosum pro), the seat post and the saddle (cannondale save, flite), the brakes and shifters (chorus) and most of the cables. The bike looks already much better than the bare frame. The current weight is under 4 kgs. :D
Last edited by kervelo on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

niklasp

by niklasp

Theres no much drop on that one... 5-7cm? I understand you slem the stam :)

Nice bike!

kervelo

by kervelo

Some progress with my CAAD12: installed the front and rear derailleurs, connected the cables and installed the chain. I was also now able to check the weight of the bike: it seems the weight of the finalized bike will be somewhere around 7.1-7.2 kgs without pedals. Not super light, but then again, I have not selected any component of the bike because of the weight.

evan326

by evan326

@kervelo: You should make a separate thread for your bike. I'm interested to see where there is such a big difference in weight. Mine Is down to 7.6kg from 8.3kg, but I'm starting to run out if ideas with out spending ridiculous amounts of money.

kervelo

by kervelo

@evan326: let's see, perhaps I will do that.

It is possible that I have estimated the target weight incorrectly somehow. For example, I checked the weight with different wheels than the ones I will use eventually. The weight of the wheels should be approximately the same, though. As most of the parts have been installed to the frame already, the weight is quite easy to estimate.

evan326

by evan326

I've been logging info on each part I takeoff and research. I've got a pretty cluttered spreadsheet looking at different setup options.
Here is where I am now https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

jeffy

by jeffy

#boycottspecialized

White Power Saddle.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I had mine down to 7560g w/ pedals, cages & mount from 8510g without pedals, cages and mount.

Unfortunately it got written off last Wednesday when I got hit by a taxi.

Now sitting at home in a sling and a leg brace (f**ked MCL, broken radial head and medial head of femur)...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com