Anodized Black CAAD12

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

plpete

by plpete

Building up a new CAAD12 that has replaced my old and trusty CAAD8. It went to a good home with a new rider and so onto newer and better things...
I purchased the whole 6800 Ultegra bike. It will be completely torn down and built up with some parts being changed. Obviously will try to get it as light as I can while keeping things durable and dependable for racing. Will probably upgrade things as budget allows. Will ride Ultegra for now as its been a long time since I had a Shimano group. May switch over to Sram Force/Red at some point. The new Ultegra does look and feel nice. Look forward to putting some miles on it. Onto some photos and weights:

Frame weight pictured above has been completely stripped and only includes derailleur hanger and BB bearings which weigh 46 grams (according to prendrefeu and his tare down of a 105 bike)

Frame (black anodized, 54cm) - 1088 grams. Quite impressed here.
Fork (uncut) - 384 grams. About 5cm to be cut.
Headset bearings, Slam that stem cap, 5mm spacer, top cap - 74 grams
Seatpost (Cannondale C2 unidirectional carbon) - 235 grams
Seatpost collar - 12 grams
Crank - Cannondale SI w. SpiderRings 52/36 + all spacers - 625 grams
Brakes (Ultegra w. pads) - 344 grams
Front derailleur (Ultegra) - 87 grams
Rear derailleur (Ultegra) - 200 grams
Shifters (Ultegra) - 422 grams
Chain (Ultegra) - ?? grams
Handlebar - Bontreger RXL carbon 42cm - 235 grams. Stock C2 alloy bar was 318 grams.
Stem - Kalloy Uno 110mm -17 - ?? grams
Saddle (Specialized Power Expert 155mm) - ?? grams
All cables + housing (Jagwire link system) - ?? grams
Bar tape (Fizik Endurace 2.5mm) - ?? grams
Bottle cages (eBay, carbon) - 43 grams
Pedals (BeBop w. Ti spindles) - 150 grams

As of now the wheel choice will probably consist of the new Ksyrium Pro Exalith SL and November Rail 52. I also have a set of hand built H+S wheels that I can use for poor weather/gravel.

More to come...

KC

by KC

Just here with my popcorn!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

Great thread. Just received my anodized black CAAD12 frame last week. Will be building it during the winter and spring with Campy Chorus, custom built Powertap GS wheels, etc.

The weight of my size 58 frame is 1180 g.

KC

by KC

Throw some Ciamillo GSL's on there and lose a ton of weight in one shot. Used ones are a great deal usually. I just got this set in, however they were new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plpete

by plpete

@kervelo - that's a decent weight for a 58cm!
@KC - thanks for the suggestion. I had a version of those brakes before and to be honest was not a fan. They are light indeed but did not like their feel. I'd love to find a nice set of second hand EE brakes. Those are sweet.

Besides the brakes, looks like a lot of weight can be saved at the shifter. I think the Sram Force22 ones are about 100 grams lighter. Might consider switching over.

The build is coming together. Just finished up doing the cabling. I really like the Jagwire link system and all of the housing used comes in at 73 grams. Still need to get a longer stem. Here are a few shots:

More to come...

kervelo

by kervelo

About the internal cables: did you use cable liners inside the frame or just the bare cables?

plpete

by plpete

Good question. There were some thin liners provided and I did use them. They were not very long though and definitely not long enough to run the whole length of the cable. The liners for the link cables are better quality and lubricated but are also a bit thicker and don't fit easily though the openings on the frame. The cables should be under tension no matter what so rattle shouldn't happen. Looking forward to seeing your build!

jkzy

by jkzy

Fiddling with the cables, esp the rear brake one was a real pain for me but I must say, your build is shaping up to be stunning!

plpete

by plpete

Thanks @jkzy. The cabling took a bit of work but it wasn't too bad. The top tube break cable needed to be curved up a bit and then just pulled out with needle nose pliers.

Rode it for the first time today. Still need to fine tune the FD, pick up a white Power saddle and trim the steerer. Need to also decide if I'll run a 110 or 120mm stem. The interesting thing is that the head tube length is exactly the same as it was on the CAAD8. I also have some light wheels coming that will help with the weight. For now I'll just run my training set. Coming from CAAD8 the first thing that stood out was how comfortable the thing is. The rear especially. I had about 90psi in the tires and riding chip-seal type roads was very smooth. Overall the bike just felt solid. Similar feeling to my BMC SLR01. Will post a bit more once I get more miles in it...

evan326

by evan326

Nice Caad
WTF is a white power saddle?

gilles75

by gilles75

evan326 wrote:Nice Caad
WTF is a white power saddle?

Specialized Power Saddle, quite different than the Toupe or Romin. Target users are racers using aggressively lowered position.

plpete

by plpete

hahaha now I see how that could read... Yeah it's not a power hungry racist saddle but more something more like this:

evan326

by evan326

That makes much more sense

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

nvroadie

by nvroadie

plpete wrote:Thanks @jkzy. The cabling took a bit of work but it wasn't too bad. The top tube break cable needed to be curved up a bit and then just pulled out with needle nose pliers.

Rode it for the first time today. Still need to fine tune the FD, pick up a white Power saddle and trim the steerer. Need to also decide if I'll run a 110 or 120mm stem. The interesting thing is that the head tube length is exactly the same as it was on the CAAD8. I also have some light wheels coming that will help with the weight. For now I'll just run my training set. Coming from CAAD8 the first thing that stood out was how comfortable the thing is. The rear especially. I had about 90psi in the tires and riding chip-seal type roads was very smooth. Overall the bike just felt solid. Similar feeling to my BMC SLR01. Will post a bit more once I get more miles in it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plpete

by plpete

Wheels have arrived! After much reading and talking to actual owners I've decided to get a set of Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith SL wheels. I was able to get them at a price I couldn't say no to and substantially less than the very similar SLR version. The wheels have the Exalith 2 rim treatment which seems to differ slightly from the original version. The grooves seem to be less deep than the original version. Looking forward to getting some miles in this weekend on them. Onto the photos...

Wheels with Mavic (made by Hutchinson) tires.

Exilith2 brake surface. The rim is the newer design which is more rounded and not the older boxy type.

Mavic skewers

Front wheel. No tire and tube mounted. The wheels came with no rim strip as it looks it's not needed as there are no spoke holes in the rim bed.

Rear wheel. No tire and tube mounted.

Stock tubes. Made by Kenda.

Tires that came with the wheels. Pretty much the same weight as my Vittoria Corsa CS clinchers that I will be running.

Vittorias

Front and rear wheels with tubes and Vittoria tires pumped to 90psi.

So the bare wheels came in at 1395 grams. That's 40 grams over the claimed 1355 grams. Wish that discrepancy was smaller but I'll live with it. The complete wheel set with tires comes in at just a hair over 2000 grams at 2004. I'm sure I can get that a bit down with some lighter tuber. Probably wont venture to latex but would definitely use some recommendations on light butyl tubes.

Hope to put in some more serious miles this weekend and get better picture of the whole bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com