2016 Cervelo S5 - Project 'Sub-7'

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Hi all,

Just built up my new race bike, a dream bike of mine for some time.

The idea of this build was to make an aero road bike, with clincher wheels, that would come in under 7kg...... Oh how close I was!

Spec as of today:

• Frame - 2016 56cm Cervelo S5
• Front Derailleur – Shimano DA Di2 9070
• Rear Derailleur – Shimano DA Di2 9070 - 215g
• Shifters – Shimano DA Di2 9070 - 230g
• Crankset – Rotor Aero Q Rings 53/38T 172.5mm w/ 3D+ InPower Power Meter
• Cassette – Shimano Dura Ace CS-9000 11-28T - 195g
• Chain – KMC X11-SL - 221g
• Brakeset – Shimano DA 9000 w/ Zipp Platinum Pro Evo Pads - 296g
• Handlebars – Cervelo Aero Bars - 270g
• Bar Tape - Deda Traforato - 30g w/ End Caps
• Stem – FSA OS-99 CSI 110mm - 130g
• Wheelset – 2016 Zipp 404 Firecrest - 1670g
• Skewers – Tune DC14 - 33g
• Tyres – Michelin Power Competition 700x23C - 410g (205g each)
• Innertubes – Continental Race Lite 80mm Valves - 150g (75g each)
• Saddle – Selle San Marco Aspide Super Leggera - 105.6g
• Seatpost – Cevelo Aero Carbon - 200g
• Pedals – Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti - 184g
• Water Bottle Cage – Tune Wasserträger 2.0 - 10g
• Battery – Seatpost Mounted Shimano BTR-2 - 50g
• Brake Cables – Jagwire Road Elite Link - 65g

7030g as is.

(Better pics to come....)
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

I wouldn't worry to much about the 30g, you've got a great ride there, looks awesome, you could loose a little weight once the steerer is cut.

BmanX

by BmanX

Trade out all the bolts to Ti or Aluminum and you are there.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

or maybe change the brakes for an ee set and boom, under 7!

1415chris

by 1415chris

Nice ride.
Few small and cheap things to look at.
1. Top cap - expander
2. As above, alu bolts upgrade
3. Inner tubes
Easy to drop 30g or more.

Delorre

by Delorre

In addition to above, swap the stock rimtape with Schwalbe tubeless rim tape. Only weights 5gr per rim vs. 15 or maybe 20. Easy win! Do you really need an 28 at the back? Why not go with a 11-25 cassette. I know, every pro rider is using 11-28 (for ease of mechanics, I'm sure), but in reality, 11-25 has a nicer spread of gearing and is certainly lighter.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

You'll probably lose the 30g when that clamp crushes the top tube... be careful. Otherwise it's a pretty nice build. EE Brakes would drop you down under your goal weight.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Haha, thanks for the comments / advice chaps.

I'm looking into a few options now...

As for rim tape, I'm using the standard rim band that came with the Zipps. Would you really advise changing this out for Schwalbe rim tape?

Alloy / Ti bolts: Any links for a decent brand that will perform? Don't want to be rounding heads off etc.

Looking into the Conti Supersonic tubes, but they only come with a 60mm valve and my 404s are 58mm deep, don't think they'll work, and I can't be arsed with valve extenders etc.

I have an 11-25 DA cassette which could help out, but the 11-28 is so versatile and I'm s**t up hills, so need all the help I can get!

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Just ordered some Conti Supersonic 60mm tubes... Probably won't fit but worth a shot at under £20 for a potential of a 50g saving!

jbaillie

by jbaillie

60mm valves with 58mm deep rims? Not a chance you'll be able to get a pump on them. I suppose you could use valve extenders, then remove them once the tires are properly inflated.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

jbaillie wrote:60mm valves with 58mm deep rims? Not a chance you'll be able to get a pump on them. I suppose you could use valve extenders, then remove them once the tires are properly inflated.

I've just been and measured my current 80mm valves. They stick out 35mm, so the 60mm valves 'should' stick out 15mm, which I hope will be enough to get my track pump on to... Will be close for sure!!!

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I wouldn't bother using valve extenders and then try to remove them... This will just cause more hassle than its worth. More often than not, doing this is why people hate valve extenders. If you understand how a Presta valve works, you'll realize that the air pressure in the tube is what's pushing the valve release shut. Go ahead and unscrew the valve on your current tubes... the air pressure keeps the button up and holds the air in, for the most part. With the extenders on, you can't screw the valve opening down, but the extender is there to protect it from being pushed down to let air out. If you take the valve extender off, you risk something being able t push the button. In addition to this, you also have no way of putting air when the tube does inevitably leak (because let's face it, all road tubes leak with 90+ psi pressure in them) so when it does leak, you have way to put more air in, other than to unmount the tire and star over. In order for Valve extenders to work properly, you need to layer on some teflon tape to the threads of the valve.... this ensure an air tight fit. If you unscrew the valve extender, you're not likely to get another air tight seal if you crew it back on.

Unfortunately, the Valve extenders and teflon tape are likely to kill whatever weight savings you were hoping to find.

evan326

by evan326

You could try a kalloy uno 7 110mm stem, mine came in at 113g. Instead of your 130g fsa.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

evan326 wrote:You could try a kalloy uno 7 110mm stem, mine came in at 113g. Instead of your 130g fsa.

I've been contemplating the Extralite HyperStem, but read some bad reviews on it and it's clamping...

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Little update...

Changed over from 80mm valve Continental Lite Race inner tubes to their 60mm valve Supersonics. Saved myself 50g for the cost of £18!

I was very apprehensive of the valves being long enough since my 404s are 58mm deep, but to my delight, the were JUST long enough for my track pump to fix on to.

On a not so delightful note, I'm taking the bike to my Cervelo dealer tomorrow to hopefully get a new frame via warranty...

Cycling home 2 days ago, the rear brake 'ejected' itself from the frame and has essentially detached itself:

Seems the resin holding the brake fixing barrel has given up and the whole assembly has failed.

Seems I'm not the only one to have this happen: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowt ... e_P4520886

Gutted since that's all my Christmas riding down the drain...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com