Focus Izalco Max - Internal Di2 - 6.9kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

tk2306

by tk2306

Been a long time lurker here so thought it was about time I posted up my new build.

For the past few years I have been racing full time but was forced to retire this year due to some long-term medical issues. This meant that for the first time in a long time I had to go out and get myself a bike, and was able to build it exactly as I wanted it!

I knew I wanted Di2, mainly because its hassle free and I couldn't be bothered dealing with cable stretch/wear (not a big deal I know). I knew I wanted a powermeter to keep track of my riding and for my own interest too. I knew I wanted something I was happy with visually and lastly I wanted a very clean looking build, after seeing so many potentially amazing builds let down by having cables everywhere, I wanted something clean.

I didn't have a set budget for this but all the parts where purchased as good deals so it came out much, much cheaper than expected based off the build list.

I was originally keen on getting an Evo frameset as I have always liked how they ride and their lines (rode one briefly in 2015), but when this frame came up for an absolute steal I couldn't turn it down. I do love the look of the Izalco's and knew they where great bikes and for the price I couldn't pass it up. Over the past few months I have been getting all the parts together as deals came up and bits became available.

I decided to get some wheels built up (with some advice from dudemanppl) and ordered some LB45 rims to be laced to White Industries T11 hubs with Lasers. Gloss rims and silver hubs/spokes/nipples. The hubs took much longer than expected to arrive and pushed the built back a few weeks.

I picked the complete bike up last week. It was built by Dan @ Shifter Bikes in Melbourne, he has been doing some amazing work and does super clean Di2 installs. The Di2 junction is hidden and some magic has been worked to hide all except one of the cables, which enters the downtube. I couldn't be happier with how the build looks and the only part I will be changing is getting a 'slam that stem' headset bearing cover, as well as the bar tape to fizik as this is delaminating behind the hoods already.

The wheels turned out absolutely amazingly, they look unbelievable in the sun.

Build list below:
Build List.jpg

After a weeks riding I can happily say it is the best bike I have ridden, over the past few years I have been lucky enough to ride some seriously nice bikes but this takes the cake. The veloflex tyres on these wheels with the latex tubes are a delight. I'm currently running 75f/80r and would even go 5 psi lower, they are just so smooth and no hint of squirming or bottoming out the rim resulting in a pinch flat. The bike is everything I hoped for.

I had initially been using the LB pads on the wheels but after going to the hills last week they started to squeal so where stopped to Wiggle lifline pads whilst I wait on some Giant pads (recommended by dudemanppl). The Wiggle pads have been working well the past few rides although I haven't been out to the hills since.

Finally here is a few pics of the built bike (some photos show Fizik Antares, this has since been swapped for a toupe).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Lovely build, like the neat cabling. Where did you hide the DI2 box.?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CaptainP

by CaptainP

That's nice - Shifter bikes really know how to build finish a bike! :thumbup:

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

That looks immaculate, congratulations.

scottmmw

by scottmmw

Nice bike, would be nice if the rear brake cable were internal also

reedplayer

by reedplayer

great looking bike, with lot of potential for saving weight (but this is not so important).
i although love those frames, especially in terms of geometry and aesthetics.
i am not shure about white saddle/bartape, maybe black/black would go better with it..

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

Now that's a good looking bike! Love it.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa booooooiiiiiiii got that double shoutout. Very smart build, nothing I would change.

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

Fantastic looking bike!

AZR3

by AZR3

Damn, pure hotness right there! I always like to see the stem parallel the top tube, just looks very clean

tk2306

by tk2306

Sorry for the slow reply everyone!

KCookie wrote:Lovely build, like the neat cabling. Where did you hide the DI2 box.?

Dan @ Shifter keeps his cards pretty close to his chest with regards to his internal di2 work so in keeping with that I'll have to keep it under wraps. You might be able to figure it out, takes 1 minute to access the junction for charging/adjustment. I just charge the battery once a month to be safe.
CaptainP wrote:That's nice - Shifter bikes really know how to build finish a bike! :thumbup:

He sure does!
reedplayer wrote:great looking bike, with lot of potential for saving weight (but this is not so important).
i although love those frames, especially in terms of geometry and aesthetics.
i am not shure about white saddle/bartape, maybe black/black would go better with it..

Thanks reedplayer, low weight was not the main goal of the build but was certainly considered. There really isn't any parts I would change, other than swapping the bars for 38's which as far as I know zipp don't make in this model. Can see where your coming from with the tape/saddle colour but I am very happy with them in white, in person the spokes and hubs pick up the sun and the white just works. I'm also not a fan of all black bikes.
dudemanppl wrote:Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa booooooiiiiiiii got that double shoutout. Very smart build, nothing I would change.

Cheers! Wrapt with how it turned out, as I said to you, I took inspiration from your build(s) when putting it together.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Awesome build, I'd ride the sh*t out of that. All the proportions are spot on. I must say I usually go for all black wheels but yours have changed my mind completely!! Love it!!!!

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

They do make the 38s in that bend, but it would be carbon. They're also pretty rare now since they're now discontinued. #NARROWGANGORDONTBANG

jrobart

by jrobart

Outstanding looking bike. Enjoy!
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

tk2306

by tk2306

burglarboycie wrote:Awesome build, I'd ride the sh*t out of that. All the proportions are spot on. I must say I usually go for all black wheels but yours have changed my mind completely!! Love it!!!!

Thanks! After seeing dudemanppl's wheels with the silver spokes I had my mind set on the look of them!

dudemanppl wrote:They do make the 38s in that bend, but it would be carbon. They're also pretty rare now since they're now discontinued. #NARROWGANGORDONTBANG

I knew they used to but I've always used alloy bars and just prefer them for piece of mind mainly (that and I'm not too fussed about the extra 50g). If only they made them in alloy 38's!

jrobart wrote:Outstanding looking bike. Enjoy!

Thanks! Have been loving it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com