Uber Weenie Aluminum Bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nvroadie

by nvroadie

Hello weight weenies,
After some basic work on my SuperSix Evo, I decided that I wanted to do a really light build! This build will be based around an aluminum frame, the specific brand is not yet decided. I haven't seen a Emonda ALR build under 6kg, so I might go down that route. Another option would be a CADD10/12. The components on the bike are not going to be the lightest available, but I will tune the crap out of them! I will try to update the thread regularly, and will be putting together a spreadsheet in the coming days.

With my intentions explained, here is what I have done so far: The groupset will be SRAM Red 2011, and I have begun work on the shifters. These are not completely done, and would like suggestions as to where to remove more material from them. ImageImage

nvroadie

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Do you have an envisaged/target final weight?....... <6kg perhaps?
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nvroadie

by nvroadie

beanbiken wrote:Do you have an envisaged/target final weight?....... <6kg perhaps?

Definitely, sub 6 kg.

DOUG

by DOUG

You should do a CAAD10 Black Inc. Disc build so i can steel all of your ideas :D

nvroadie

by nvroadie

DOUG wrote:You should do a CAAD10 Black Inc. Disc build so i can steel all of your ideas :D

Spinning knives... I actually like discs and had thought of that. But I ride for a Trek dealer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvroadie

by nvroadie

Did some more tuning on the lever blades today. Got the right down to 14g and the right to 14.2g with clear coat. I finished the left unit by cutting out the shift paddle. I then put heat shrink over the paddle cutout, as it is ugly. I'll finish the right tomorrow, and get new mounting hardware. ImageImage
nvroadie

BmanX

by BmanX

I really want to see this build.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Thats some extreme reduction on those levers :o
Using Tapatalk

BmanX

by BmanX

I have a 1000g aluminum frame that I want to make into a 1 X 10 sub 6 build. This gives me some great ideas.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

nvroadie

by nvroadie

BmanX wrote:I have a 1000g aluminum frame that I want to make into a 1 X 10 sub 6 build. This gives me some great ideas.

Glad your interested! Definitely gut your left shifter- saves about 30g! I'm using this bike for day to day riding and need a 2x. I thought about it being a crit bike and was going to go down the 1x road.

BmanX

by BmanX

Are you able to just go with a non shifting left lever and tune it even more.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

nvroadie

by nvroadie

BmanX wrote:Are you able to just go with a non shifting left lever and tune it even more.

Yep, check out the "Removing the Double and Tap from SRAM shifters" by CX Magazine. There are step by step instructions!

BmanX

by BmanX

I have done that before on other builds but feel that it could be lighter just using a non-shifter version.

Have you thought about tuning some Carbon Record levers.

I can't remember the weight on these but they were fairly light.

I believe that the sram S-900 ones come in at 244g and tuned could be fairly light.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

nvroadie

by nvroadie

BmanX wrote:I have done that before on other builds but feel that it could be lighter just using a non-shifter version.

Have you thought about tuning some Carbon Record levers.

I can't remember the weight on these but they were fairly light.

I believe that the sram S-900 ones come in at 244g and tuned could be fairly light.

I'm actually pulling parts from my cracked 'Cross bike and tuning them! I'll buy some things, but am trying to keep this as budget as possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nvroadie

by nvroadie

I finished tuning the brake levers, and they came out to 230g without brake hoods. This is not as light as I would like, but I have not yet replaced the clamps. Here they are on some random bars I had lying about: ImageImage I'm very pleased with my he way the heat shrink looks of the shifter paddle cut outs!

Clamps:
The stock clamps are several pieces, and they are quite heavy, at 15.6g a piece. Here one is:Image i have SRAM Red 2013 on my SuperSix, and tried that bikes clamps. They came in at 13g, and work with my 2011 shifters. I'm contemplating buying a pair and tuning them, or looking for an aluminum option.

nvroadie