Uber Weenie Aluminum Bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cep111

by cep111

evan326 wrote:
nvroadie wrote:I also changed to Ciamillo brakes, but don't know if they will fit into my budget.
nvroadie

Isn't that the guy that has screwed a bunch of people over?

I had some issues several years ago (like 12-14) but he eventually sent me a brand new pair. He became overloaded and got behind on sales and returns and didn't handle it well. All of his sales are through 3 dealers worldwide so you can only buy from what's actually available. eBay is a great option for used, however I'd only buy GSL's or GSL Micro's. They are about the same weight and have the best stopping power and modulation. The Micro's will switch between narrow and wide rims, the GSL's will do either but it's accomplished by removing washers or changing the brake pad holders. You can buy the Micro cam for the older GSL's to update them.

I have several pairs of Camillo's currently and I love them. They have a nice braking feel. I like them better for stopping than any other brakes I have used.

nvroadie

by nvroadie

cep111 wrote:
evan326 wrote:
nvroadie wrote:I also changed to Ciamillo brakes, but don't know if they will fit into my budget.
nvroadie

Isn't that the guy that has screwed a bunch of people over?

I had some issues several years ago (like 12-14) but he eventually sent me a brand new pair. He became overloaded and got behind on sales and returns and didn't handle it well. All of his sales are through 3 dealers worldwide so you can only buy from what's actually available. eBay is a great option for used, however I'd only buy GSL's or GSL Micro's. They are about the same weight and have the best stopping power and modulation. The Micro's will switch between narrow and wide rims, the GSL's will do either but it's accomplished by removing washers or changing the brake pad holders. You can buy the Micro cam for the older GSL's to update them.

I have several pairs of Camillo's currently and I love them. They have a nice braking feel. I like them better for stopping than any other brakes I have used.

The ones I have found on EBay are the 0G- 05 Ti. I'm 125lbs, so I think that they will work for me. If I find out otherwise, I can always switch the front to a SRAM Red black caliper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KC

by KC

Having had several versions of the zero gravity brakes I'd only buy the Zero G, GSL's or the New Micros. Best stopping power. Micros are best equipped to handle all widths of rims without spacers. The 05's and such were sort of soft stoppers.

nvroadie

by nvroadie

KC wrote:Having had several versions of the zero gravity brakes I'd only buy the Zero G, GSL's or the New Micros. Best stopping power. Micros are best equipped to handle all widths of rims without spacers. The 05's and such were sort of soft stoppers.

Based on your feedback it looks as if I'll be using a SRAM Force/Red brake on the front, and a Ciamillo on the rear.

nvroadie

by nvroadie

An update on the build:

I picked up an SiSL crankset on eBay for a great price (it's silver) and will post pictures of it when I get home from vacation next week. I've yet to come up with a frame, and buying the crankset could be considered foolish without a frame, but I couldn't pass it up! I'll also be making a stop at Infinite Cycles (Cannondale Experts) in Salt Lake City on my way home, and may come away with some part of the build. Oh, and I found a front derailleur on eBay!

nvroadie

nvroadie

by nvroadie

Because I'm bored of waiting for the restroom to become available, here's a picture I stole from eBay: (I'll be polishing the surface.)Image

KC

by KC

Those might not be SL's. Usually they have a large SL on them, which is usually a little faded. These can be tuned though. Use the latest sisl2 lock ring and crank bolts. It'll save 20-30 grams. The rings you have are the lightest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nvroadie

by nvroadie

KC wrote:Those might not be SL's. Usually they have a large SL on them, which is usually a little faded. These can be tuned though. Use the latest sisl2 lock ring and crank bolts. It'll save 20-30 grams. The rings you have are the lightest.

I will definitely get SiSL2 hardware, but these are actually SL's, here is a zoomed picture of the "SL":Image

KC

by KC

I see! These are usually faded. So these are light as shit then. 140 grams per arm. All parts are interchangeable with all variations of these including the low-end forged version.  i'll look forward to seeing your polish job on these. Some people have anodize them or powder coated them.

nvroadie

by nvroadie

KC wrote:I see! These are usually faded. So these are light as shit then. 140 grams per arm. All parts are interchangeable with all variations of these including the low-end forged version. 

I was looking forward to running a Spidering, but as I am 16, I have to comply with the junior gear restriction. [emoji45] I'll have to throw on a spare 110 spider I have and run a 44t ring. But on the bright side, the smaller ring is lighter. [emoji3]

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

What about a 44t direct mount chainring? 117g for the wolf tooth item and you could tune down the wide teeth.

Not goint to lie, those brake leavers scare me a tad tho props for having the balls to hack them up to that level haha. So much material gone, can you tighten the shrink wrap on the narrow section any further?
Using Tapatalk

nvroadie

by nvroadie

Nefarious86 wrote:What about a 44t direct mount chainring? 117g for the wolf tooth item and you could tune down the wide teeth.

Not goint to lie, those brake leavers scare me a tad tho props for having the balls to hack them up to that level haha. So much material gone, can you tighten the shrink wrap on the narrow section any further?

I would use a 1x, but I live in a hilly area, and would like to have a 36 tooth little ring. I'm going to use TA Specialities 44/36 chainrings, and they'll be lighter[emoji16].

nvroadie

by nvroadie

I have had some time off of school, and have had a TON of time to work on this build! I have gotten to the point where I've decided on almost every part, and the ones I've purchased are marked with a asterisk. The only part I'm struggling with is the fork. There are no Evo HiMod forks with a steerer long enough on eBay right now, and the normal mod fork is two heavy. Can some recommend a 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 tapered fork that is around 300g that I can easily get on eBay for a reasonable price ~$150?

nvroadie

nvroadie

by nvroadie

A little build update:

I won an auction for some 40g Omni Racer skewers! I got them for $25 shipped, which is half off retail[emoji16]. They have a stronger clamping force than the shitty J&L I was looking at, and I got them cheaper! I'm going to polish my new SiSL arms when I get home, and throw them on my Evo for a test run. The skewers will also get thorough testing and I'll report back to the forum. Once I stop buying random parts on eBay I'll get a frame and start polishing it.

nvroadie

KC

by KC

Looking at your list. Any old sram red cassette will save 100 grams.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com