AURA Cycles Exos - Custom Ti

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

lw11

by lw11

My name's Liam, I started cycling just over a year ago following a running injury and instantly loved it. I've been riding a 2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 in a M which I picked up second hand, however, it's a bit big for me. I decided to go for a custom Ti frame and went with a local company, AURA Cycles, who design their frames here in Perth and they're manufactured in Italy.

The frame will be arriving hopefully this week so I figured i'd start the build thread. I've purchased all of the components so once it arrives it'll be built up ASAP and i'll post photos.
Last edited by lw11 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NoBlink

by NoBlink

This is going to be good. Looking forward to see the pictures!

lw11

by lw11

UPDATE (3/12/2016):

I've been told the frameset is now in the country passing through customs and should be ready for handover next week.

Not sure what this is going to weigh but these are the claimed weights from the various manufacturers (not actual): Assuming the frame (including headset, not including fork) comes in around 1,500g, looking around 6.87kg. Obviously could be lighter depending on the frame.

AURA Ti Frame (54cm) - ?
AURA Carbon Fork (uncut) - 350g
Campagnolo Super Record Groupset (52-36 170mm crankset, 11-27 cassette) - 1,940g
Campagnolo Bora Ultra 50 Dark Label Wheelset (incl. quick release) - 1,555g
3T Ergonova Ltd Stealth Handlebars 400mm - 180g
3T ARX Ltd Stealth 100mm - 118g
3T Ionic 0 Ltd Stealth Seatpost - 180g
Vittoria Corsa G+ Graphene 23mm Clinchers - 470g
Continental Race Lite Tubes 80mm Presta - 130g
King Ti Cages - 56g
Lizard Skins Bartape - 56g
LOOK Keo Blade 2 Ti Pedals - 180g
Fizik Antares R1 Saddle - 155g

Image[/URL]

nonamed

by nonamed

These are all Real weights? Did You put them on scale?

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

lw11

by lw11

Juanmoretime wrote:I'm watching this one. Which for and what headset type are you going to be using? Finish on the frame?

I believe AURA Ti framesets are produced by Dedacciai Strada given the BSA bottom bracket, 31.6 mm diameter seat tube, Dedacciai headset which is identical to their K-19 frame http://www.dedacciaistrada.com/index.php/en/

Raw Ti finish with bead blasted logos and raw carbon fork.

nonamed wrote:These are all Real weights? Did You put them on scale?

Those were manufacturer weights. I don't trust the scales I have at home so is an estimation only.

nonamed

by nonamed

lw11 wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:I'm watching this one. Which for and what headset type are you going to be using? Finish on the frame?

I believe AURA Ti framesets are produced by Dedacciai Strada given the BSA bottom bracket, 31.6 mm diameter seat tube, Dedacciai headset which is identical to their K-19 frame http://www.dedacciaistrada.com/index.php/en/

Raw Ti finish with bead blasted logos and raw carbon fork.

nonamed wrote:These are all Real weights? Did You put them on scale?

Those were manufacturer weights. I don't trust the scales I have at home so is an estimation only.

Yeah thats why I am asking for example my KEO blade Ti pedals which i weight yesterday are 189g. :) You shouldnt trust manufacturer weight :p

lw11

by lw11

It's finally here. The welds and finish are exquisite.

This was built up by Matt Wikstrom (The Bike Mason) tech editor of cyclingtips.com

I can't wait for the morning. Better photos to follow

Final weight was 7.42 kg

Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Last edited by lw11 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hazzles

by Hazzles

Not really a fan of Ti bikes, looks-wise, but that is gorgeous!

lw11

by lw11

First ride impression - I've only done a 45 km river loop but if I had to describe the ride, i'd say 'smooth' and 'elegant.' Handling was sharp and responsive. Bottom bracket is plenty stiff enough for me (65 kg) and the think seat stays make for a super comfortable ride.

I though Dura-Ace shifting was good but Super Record is something else. I love the tactile feedback you get from each shift and the multiple up shift was awesome, something i've not experienced before. Shifting from the small ring to the big ring was seamless. It'll take some time to get used to the front derailleur positions but I love that it can be changed depending on your chainline position.

I've never had nice wheels before so coming from boat anchors to carbon clinchers, I noticed straight away how easily they spun up and how easy it was to maintain speed. Braking was exceptional. Chain is a little noisy and should take some time to settle.

As others have experienced, after coming from Dura-Ace pedals, the LOOK don't sit nose up all the time so the first time I took off it took me a few one legged pedals strokes to clip in; I suppose it's something i'll get used to. Also, i'd probably go 16nm next time, 12nm feels like my cleats are going to unclip quiet easily.

After waiting over three months from finalising frame specs, looking at the various components in a box for three months and finally having it built up, I've been smiling 24 hours straight since the first ride.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Thats really nice. I like the minimal branding (except the wheels, not that you can do anything about that). Nice proportions.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kgt

by kgt

Very nice!
I would prefer carbon bottle cages to match the rest of carbon components. These have a classic look for no apparent reason.

lw11

by lw11

NiFTY wrote:Thats really nice. I like the minimal branding (except the wheels, not that you can do anything about that). Nice proportions.

Thanks. I tried to keep it as understated as possible and let the frame and components speak for themselves.

kgt wrote:Very nice!
I would prefer carbon bottle cages to match the rest of carbon components. These have a classic look for no apparent reason.

Yep, I really had a tough time deciding on whether to go King Ti or the ones member Carbonworks sells on eBay. I may still change these in the future but for the moment i'll enjoy riding the $#!t out of my new bike.

lw11

by lw11

A better photo from this morning's ride

peted76

by peted76

What a beautiful bike! Kudos!

(However I agree with kgt regarding the cages)

lw11

by lw11

New Stages, cages and tyres.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com