Emonda SLR custom build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bencolem

by bencolem

You're quite right, this is not an Emonda - but this is the starting point for my new build, planning a frame swap and possibly a few other upgrades along the way. So, before:

'Ride Ready' with pedals, cages, Garmin mount:

bencolem

by bencolem

The Emonda frame ('fully dressed' with derailleur hanger, chain catcher, cage bolts, cable ports etc):

The fork (with headset expander):

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

willowwonka

by willowwonka

Look forward to seeing it built up!

What size and geo is the frame?

Interesting to see the weight of the frame and fork, mine came out at 1.14kg with the cane creek headset too. 54cm in matte black.
- CANYON KATUSHA TEAM ULTIMATE SLX SUMMER RIG.
- CANNONDALE CAAD10 ANNODISED WINTER SLOG.

bencolem

by bencolem

It's a 58cm H2 frameset. Headset expander was 36g so the fork must have been 304g. Swapped out for a KCNC expander to save 4g!

Seatmast:

Brakes (no pads):

russianbear

by russianbear

I love that color blue they did for those Emonda SLRs, but dang that's a lot of paint grams wise (probably around 120).

bencolem

by bencolem

A hair under 11lbs as pictured. Ordered a ceramic BB, Superleggero bars (to replace the zero100's) and a Bonty XXX stem. Once they're on (with the Sram Red cranks and KMC chain) I'm expecting mid 13's?

bencolem

by bencolem

russianbear wrote:I love that color blue they did for those Emonda SLRs, but dang that's a lot of paint grams wise (probably around 120).

Trek claim 690g for a 56. I'm at 840g for a 58. I didn't weigh separately but I bet the rear mech hanger, bottle cage bolts, chain catcher, cable guides and duo tap grommet must weigh half of that 150g difference so I would imagine pain is like 30-40g?

Worth it though (for me personally) - wanted some color in my ride!

russianbear

by russianbear

I weighed most of those in my thread off my SL:

Mech Hanger: 11g
Water cage bolts: 6g
Small chain catcher: 10g
Duotrap rubber cover: 6g
(33 total)

The cable guides are pretty thin and negligible, but lets say another 10g at the high end. So about 800 in this case and 100-110g of paint. These lighter colors (this is same as white pretty much) you really have to cake on so you don't see the carbon through it.

Bencolem, if you wanted to drop another 22g talk to your shop about getting the SLR mast cap. Plus I think the black will look better on your bike.

Glad to see all the love the Emonda is getting here lately :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm thinking the indoor lighting isn't really doing that color justice, correct? Looking forward to seeing it all built up and photographed in some natural light. I'm a big Emonda fan, but I'd still have reservations about the superlightness of the SLR for my weight. I know they give their frames a weight limit of 275lbs which I am way under thank goodness, but still... looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it's ride. The geometry I know is spot on to my liking.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bencolem

by bencolem

Calnago wrote:I'm thinking the indoor lighting isn't really doing that color justice, correct? Looking forward to seeing it all built up and photographed in some natural light. I'm a big Emonda fan, but I'd still have reservations about the superlightness of the SLR for my weight. I know they give their frames a weight limit of 275lbs which I am way under thank goodness, but still... looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it's ride. The geometry I know is spot on to my liking.

I'll reserve judgment until I ride it, but overriding initial impression is how incredibly 'sturdy' the frame is, especially for its weight. I remember buying a Kuota KOM years ago and you could squeeze the down tube between your fingers. This just feels incredibly solid. The downtube is massively oversized due to the BB90 (the real standout difference compared to the Fuji) and it just feels like it's made of some wonder solid material rather than traditional carbon. Even the internal carbon feels very smooth and well finished.

bencolem

by bencolem

So the Deda Elementi Superleggero bars and Bontrager XXX stem came in today. Bars were 205 grams (460mm). Stem was 124 grams (110mm).

bencolem

by bencolem

13.23lbs as pictured. Think the white seatpost was a mistake in hindsight! Just a quick shakedown ride to dial it in but initial impressions are how smooth and comfortable the ride is actually. And the direct mount brakes are awesome. Feels a bit shorter in reach than the geo suggested though...

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Very nice! The seat tilt looks a bit out.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

bencolem

by bencolem

Think it's just the angle of the picture. It's the same angle as it was on the Fuji and the same as on my Argon. Maybe it's because it's further back on the seat clamp? I've only pedaled it down the road to make sure it's dialed in so maybe it will change when I go on a proper ride?

bencolem

by bencolem

Actually, it does look a bit out doesn't it! I don't like the seat rail clamp design at all. Give me a twin bolt design every day of the week!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com