The Perfect Project: My Custom Mosaic RT-1

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

While photographing and writing about exotic bike builds for my site Life Is A Beautiful Detail I've always had the dream in my mind to build my own custom build. Earlier this year the stars all aligned to make this a reality. One of the ideas in parallel has been to write a series of stories for the site that chronicle my experience through the different stages of the process to shed some light on the excitement and customer value of going custom. We've called this story The Perfect Project and I want to share the story with the WW community. So in this thread I'll share updates on each chapter that has been published and as the new chapters are posted.

The Perfect Project Part 1 - The Initial Consultation & Fit
The Perfect Project Part 2 - Building Custom Geometry
The Perfect Project Part 3 - Frame Materials & Build Options
The Perfect Project Part 4 - Custom Paint
The Perfect Project Part 5 - #newbikeday
Last edited by jrmynthn on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

The Perfect Project: Part 1 <-- click that to read the whole story

In Part 1 of the series covering my experience in building my own custom Mosaic RT-1 with Blacksmith Cycle here in Toronto I cover everything about the initial inception, the consultation, and the first fitting. What was it like to go from dream to the beginning of reality? What are the considerations to make in choosing the right build partners? What roles and responsibilities does the customer play in the process? How does it all go and what happens next?

If you're thinking about building a custom bike and what a look inside the ideation process check out this chapter.

ImageImage
Last edited by jrmynthn on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

The Perfect Project: Part 2 <-- click that to read the whole story

In Part 2 of The Perfect Project I wrote about the follow ups from Part 1. At this stage we focused in on the back and forth that occured to nail down the final custom geometry that would fit me right and help create the character and ride characteristics of the my forever bike. Where did we start, what influences and expertise did the frame builders add to the design, and what was the final product? This was a really exciting part of the process for me as the attention to detail was incredible and it began to feel very real. I was able to get a sense of what was being sculpted for me when we translated each version to the Juteau Cantin Bike Tool. A lot goes into this very important part of the custom build process and I want to share my positive experience with the WW community.

If you're thinking about building a custom bike and want to know more about why the custom geometry is so important check out Part 2.

ImageImage

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

The Perfect Project: Part 3

In Part 3 of The Perfect Project which chronicles my own personal experience going through the process of building a custom built bicycle I cover why I chose titanium as the frame material and each of the custom options we chose and why. This part of the story covers what titanium is and why it's a great material for custom frame building. I also explain the reasons behind each of the build choices and custom options that are built into the frame. Why did we choose bottom brackets, finishes, brake types, and more. Beyond the custom geometry the freedom and flexibility in build choices is one of the biggest values in going full custom. In my opinion it's instrumental to delivering a bike that is a true forever bike.

If you're interested in knowing more about Titanium as a frame material or how you can use frame options to build out the perfect bike then definitely check out Part 3

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Very nice, detailed writeup. Please be sure to post pics here when built!
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

The Perfect Project Part 4 - Custom Paint

It came as quite a surprise to me that one of the most personal parts to this whole process has been the paint design. By incorporating colour and texture into the final design, we've been able to create a bike that perfectly reflects me on a personal level. Inspired by some of my favourite things (The Giro D'Italia, the Maglia Nera Jersey, Paul Smith, and the colour pink) I used the a favourite jersey as inspiration for my paint job. In Part 4 of the Perfect Project I express my perspective to the experience of working with Blacksmith Cycle and VeloColour to take a bike that was made for me and turn it into a bike that is me.

Check out the blog (linked above) for more pics and the whole story.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

LouisN

by LouisN

Sequin-esque :beerchug: !! I like it !!

Louis :)

KCookie

by KCookie

Very interesting write up, enjoyable to read. Those colours are awesome, cant wait for more pics. !!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jdc5r

by jdc5r

nice blog and nice pictures. I also have that jersey and it is for sure a great point of inspiration.

dpkinard

by dpkinard

Can't wait for more pics

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

Thanks everyone. It's still unbelievable that it's real and it's mine! I catch myself just staring at it sitting there. A new post is in the works all about the build day. Lots of detail pics of the full build. Stay tuned.

jkzy

by jkzy

I like how you have a story to tell for every stage of the process, it really adds flavour to the bike build.

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

The Perfect Project - Part 5: #newbikeday

To any cyclist, there is no day held in higher regard than #newbikeday. It's the end of the wait and the beginning of the future, all at once. It's so exciting to say, that for me, the wait was finally over. It's been a long, fun ride but now my perfect project has become reality. In my head I'd tossed around endless ideas of how to cover this pinnacle chapter. Here, as in the beginning, it is important to find the right narrative angle. The approach I settled on is to break this chapter down into three parts; the build, the final product, and the first ride. Check out the latest on Life Is A Beautiful Detail to see how it’s all come to life above.

Here are a few snaps from the page but head over for the whole gallery and a cool build video as well. Now all that's left to do is love it for life.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

jbaillie

by jbaillie

No classic side shot?!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Side shots would be great. Beautiful bike btw. :shock:

I've read all 5 parts and out of curiosity for such a nice project, why did you go with Ultegra DI2? Nothing wrong with Ultegra, but felt like it was a bit of a let down for such a nice build.