Colnago C60 - Traditional PR99

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I am indeed a fan of these ProVibe 7S stems. But I think they've just gone and changed the design again to something much less appealing. The "puzzle clamp" is great... and the profile of the stem matches the profile of the C60's top tube perfectly...

The two bolts to clamp the stem enter at a downward angle, which is really nice if you have to adjust the bar tilt with your computer mount in place etc. because the bolts can be accessed without even removing the Garmin. That was a nice little surprise that I wasn't even aware of until after I had mounted the Garmin and wanted to make a slight adjustment...

Bottle cages are my favorite Arundel Dave-O's, matte black...

The SRM Powermeter is still the cleanest Campagnolo powermeter on the market, mated to 36/52 chainrings... the graphic is from the prior version and although not publicly offered, they did a small run of these stickers and I had them put one on instead of the current offering. I think this graphic just makes it look more like part of the initial factory groupset...

Little bit of ceramic bling on the SR derailleur...

Gratuitous "from the ground" shot...

Another full frontal, just cuz...

Can't imagine blocking this view with a metal disc :lol: ...

I'm running Veloflex Arrenberg Tubulars (25mm) on Bora Ultra 35 rims. Pretty good clearance. Could probably fit a 27mm tubular but certainly no bigger. And a Conti 25mm 4000Sii on say a Campy Shamal Ultra (17mm internal width) would be the biggest clincher you could get in there...

Mechanical Super Record is just so so sexy...

The overall graphics on this C60 are pretty gorgeous, but there's still something special about the traditional "chevrons' that are on my EPQ and the PR99 EPS, PR82 EPS, and the Zabel Blue (forget the code) EPS...

I delogo'd everything white on the Specialized Romin Pro saddle... wasn't sure if I was going to wreck it or not, but in the end it worked...

There's 21mm of spacers under the stem, including a 15mm carbon spacer and 6mm red alloy spacer from Chris King. I've since changed that up a bit to 20mm total comprising 17mm of carbon spacers and a thinner 3mm Red Ring o' Bling. I've also after riding a while, changed the stem to a 140mm to make up for the shorter top tube of the C60 versus my C59. Thought I'd try it for a while with a centimeter shorter reach, but after putting the 140mm on it was like being introduced to an old friend again...

And for now, and to end this particular post, one more shameless full frontal against the wall...
Last edited by Calnago on Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok... so I think that about wraps this build up. I've been riding it since November, although we've had a pretty wet winter with a bit of snow so my time on it hasn't been as much as I would like. But I think I've got a pretty good feel for it so I can have a good comparative check with my C59, which should be back home soon after the chainstay repair.

Oh, one more thing... I did have a couple parts left over that I've been mulling over deciding what to do with. The C60 comes with 4 little alloy jewels of waterbottle cage bolts. The heads are too tall for the Arundel cages imo and they kind of scrape the sides of the waterbottle going in and out, so I used the round flatter button head screws that come with the Arundels for mounting... but what to do with the jewels. I think I've decided on cutting them up and fashioning them into some fine earrings for a special someone as a gift. I can't think of a better way to end the thread... they even have the Colnago Club laser etched into the recess of the bolt head...

If you have any more questions or want more pics, just shout. In the meantime... I am done! Finally!
Last edited by Calnago on Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Calnago wrote:Ok... so I think that about wraps this build up. I've been riding it since November, although we've had a pretty wet winter with a bit of snow so my time on it hasn't been as much as I would like. But I think I've got a pretty good feel for it so I can have a good comparative check with my C59, which should be back home soon after the chainstay repair.

Oh, one more thing... I did have a couple parts left over that I've been mulling over deciding what to do with. The C60 comes with 4 little alloy jewels of waterbottle cage bolts. The heads are too tall for the Arundel cages imo and they kind of scrape the cages going in and out, so I used the round flatter button head screws that come with the Arundels for mounting... but what to do with the jewels. I think I've decided on cutting them up and fashioning them into some fine earrings for a special someone as a gift. I can't think of a better way to end the thread... they even have the Colnago Club laser etched into the recess of the bolt head...

If you have any more questions or want more pics, just shout. In the meantime... I am done! Finally!

Wow, the details that went into this build... amazing.. I saw your Ultra 35's and was wondering if you could give some feeback on how they ride as I've been eyeballing the Fulcrum Racing Speed 35's myself..

Also, I've heard those waterbottle screws, as beautiful as they may be, are quite flexible and prone to snapping. I left mine off my ST01 and went down the route of titaniums from Toronto Cycles.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The Boras are fabulous. I've had the new 35's since their release. The hubs are phenomenal. They ride like a dream. They brake well. They're pretty much perfect.
As for the waterbottle bolts, they certainly can't be as strong as steel, that's for sure. They are super light and I believe the shaft is hollow as well.

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Damn Calnago, your attention to details is just inspiring! So well documented it's always a pleasure to read through your build threads. I'm glad you've got your hands on that more than rare PR99 C60 because you gave that special frame the deserved treatment [emoji1360] We have the "barn find" topic going on in another thread at the moment, I'm just thinking when at some point in the future maybe some lucky guy steps in your barn... this just puts a smile on my face [emoji6]
I think it's time now for a picture of the whole Colnago stable of yours, that would be too good.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

rajMAN

by rajMAN

Superb build and a truly inspirational thread, something to aspire too and thank you for sharing. Love the horizontal. :D

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Can't thank you enough for this! Hope that you will be able to enjoy your beautiful C60 a lot this season coming back from that injury of yours!

wobbly

by wobbly

Thanks for sharing the build process - in fact I've been waiting for this final instalment :oops: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

This is why I would never post a detailed build thread. After this what's the point? I'll throw up a photo of a finished bike but that's it. The detail, the thoughtful analysis, quality photos, articulate explanations, the tools, etc. etc. Bravo!

I agree with you about the missing chevrons. What a strange choice to finish the transition from white to carbon the way it was done. Cost saving on a bit of extra masking? A more modern look? It doesn't look bad by any means but I can almost feel your pain that true perfection was missed by that decision.

A question for you Cal, you show rear tire clearance. Can we also see front tire clearance? (Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread). That rear clearance does look good but while a 27 mm may fit theoretically, I don't think it could be used in practice based on the gap I am seeing. I think you'd have all kinds of crap scraping the frame as soon as you were on anything but a clean road. And for the clincher crowd I think the limit would be 25 mm tires, 23 mm for some brands, on any rims with a 17 mm or wider internal width.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

rjaync

by rjaync

Bravo. Amazing thread and I can't even contemplate working on my own bikes now as I can't compete with this. [emoji122].

My only question I have is how the hell do you choose which one to ride? EPQ / C59 / C60 - with your attention to detail they are all amazing. Aesthetically I think the EPQ might actually be my favourite. I'm not sure if that's heresy but the round tubes seem to be perfect. That said the C60 is epic.

Perhaps your next thread should be a ride comparison report between the 3. Although the C60 has the slightly different geometry I think they're close enough that this would be a rare opportunity for you to provide the definitive reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rjaync on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icenutter

by icenutter

Those bottle cage bolts are sweet.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks all... this thread definitely was a labor of love for sure... and I questioned whether I'd ever get around to actually finishing it sometimes. But every time I'd log in to WW, I'd be reminded about the fact that I left it half done... so yesterday I just buckled down and did it. Will try to answer any questions you have as they come up now.

Arfer01

by Arfer01

Wow what a write up, well done sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Mr.Gib wrote:This is why I would never post a detailed build thread. After this what's the point? I'll throw up a photo of a finished bike but that's it. The detail, the thoughtful analysis, quality photos, articulate explanations, the tools, etc. etc. Bravo!

I agree with you about the missing chevrons. What a strange choice to finish the transition from white to carbon the way it was done. Cost saving on a bit of extra masking? A more modern look? It doesn't look bad by any means but I can almost feel your pain that true perfection was missed by that decision.

A question for you Cal, you show rear tire clearance. Can we also see front tire clearance? (Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread). That rear clearance does look good but while a 27 mm may fit theoretically, I don't think it could be used in practice based on the gap I am seeing. I think you'd have all kinds of crap scraping the frame as soon as you were on anything but a clean road. And for the clincher crowd I think the limit would be 25 mm tires, 23 mm for some brands, on any rims with a 17 mm or wider internal width.

Thanks Mr. Gib: I'm actually more than totally fine with the graphics on this particular frame and I prefer them to the Chevrons, on THIS frame. I have an EPQ, with a special paint job that does include the chevrons, and some other custom touches, which took forever to get done and it is my sort of modern retro look bike with the round tubes and, usually, Nemesis/Record wheels. But this C60... I really think Colnago nailed the graphics in every sense. It's flawless. Funny story about the modern round tubed bikes in Colnago's recent history. I've heard through sources, I wasn't there, but I believe it... that Ernesto never really liked the short foray into round tube frames (Extreme Power and EPS) from an aesthetic standpoint. The Gilco tube shape had become one of Colnago's distinguishing features and the Extreme Power and EPS models, with their basically round profiles, were well... just not "right" as a Colnago. Great frames for sure, but with the introduction of the C59, with it's new and reminiscent of old, shaped tubing... all seemed right with the world again. I think the C59 created a huge rejuvenation in interest in Colnago as a brand. In fact, I was rather uninterested in all the swirly paint schemes of the EPS model, until the PR99 EPS was shown in their catalog for 2011 (Fall of 2010 basically). I still have that catalog... and the EPS was still available and overlapped the C59 for a short while, until they ran out of stock of certain tubes, then merged the remaining EPS top tubes and downtubes into a hybrid EPS/C59 and called it the EPQ.

And opened up to the very page that I stared at for way too long...

I remember sending a photo of this catalog page to my friend saying "THIS, will be my next bike!" It wasn't, as the C59 had come out and I was waiting on my MTBK C59. Not until a year and a half after ordering an EPS, then finding out they couldn't make one some months later, then working with Colnago and deciding on a hybrid C59/EPS, as yet unnamed but would later be labelled the EPQ would I finally take delivery of my EPQ in it's very unique rendition, compared to other EPQ's... for starters, I hated the name "EPQ", so all references to it are gone, and the graphics were mostly of the old EPS, but no "EPS" on it either... just Ernesto's signature on both sides of the top tube, and no "Colnago" on the chainstays. I wanted it to be as clean looking as a Colnago could look...
The link to my EPQ thread is in my signature if you're interested in more details. Or here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=106564/#p911214

So, in conclustion, I'm feeling no pain with the more aggressive looking graphics on the C60 compared to the old EPS. In fact, I absolutely love this frame in every sense, whereas there's usually at least one thing that I always end up thinking I'd rather it have been done a bit different. But not here.

RE tire clearances... I did mention that a bit somewhere but if you want I'll provide some more details of the clearances both front and rear to help others determine what might fit and what won't. Personally, I don't want anything larger than a 25mm tubular on my nicest road bikes. For my weight at 200+lbs it seems about perfect. It has more clearance than the C59 for sure, but I can still run my Arrenbergs on the "new" Boras in my C59 and EPQ with no issues. A 25mm Continental 4000Sii clincher on the other hand, not so much, or at least it would be very tight.
Last edited by Calnago on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

rjaync wrote:Bravo. Amazing thread and I can't even contemplate working on my own bikes now as I can't compete with this. [emoji122].

My only question I have is how the hell do you choose which one to ride? EPQ / C59 / C60 - with your attention to detail they are all amazing. Aesthetically I think the EPQ might actually be my favourite. I'm not sure if that's heresy but the round tubes seem to be perfect. That said the C60 is epic.

Perhaps your next thread should be a ride comparison report between the 3. Although the C60 has the slightly different geometry I think they're close enough that this would be a rare opportunity for you to provide the definitive reviews.

Thanks @rjaync, I flip a coin when deciding. Ha. Actually, even though in this thread the C60 is shown with an 11/23 cassette, that was only for the whole testing thing with different cassettes etc., and I left it on for the final photos. In practice, I will never ride this bike with the 11/23 cassette. I always intended it to be geared for taking to the mountains, so it is now sporting a 11/29 cassette and it's also why I chose the 36/52 cranks. I do not like the jump between a 34/50 (never have and I've tried them for a few months), but the 36/52 is quite nice and I don't notice having to jump between chain rings any more than on my standard 39/53. My C59 sticks with standard cranks (39/53) and cassette with a smallest cog of 11 or 12, and a largest cog of 25 or 27. But any of my wheels can be interchanged with any bike at any point.

And on the round tube thing... yes, I commented on that to @Mr. Gib in my previous post. It's funny, because with the paneled retro graphics on the downtube and seat tube, I think it suits a round tube better as the angles of the tubing don't "cut into" the graphics. This is what I thought happened when they tried the PR99 paint scheme on the C59 and I didn't like it as much as on round tubes. So, I get what you're saying for sure. The EPQ is possibly my "prettiest" bike setup as I do love a nice set of low profile tubulars with glistening stainless steel spokes in the sun.
But with the C60, the tubes are pretty massive (it actually took some time for them to grown on me) and the the lettering of the graphics doesn't seem to get distorted as much as it seemed to on the C59. In other words, it works.
Last edited by Calnago on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.