Mr. Black #2 - Super Weenie Budget Build Round 2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

I am back after a long hiatus. I moved, got a new job, got injured, lost enthusiasm for riding, and just got lazy in general. I was at least smart enough not to sell any of my bikes during my dormant time.

After building the original Mr. Black (Click here to view) I knew eventually I would want to rebuild it lighter and better and so that brings us to now. I am reusing some of the parts from that build and others will be all new. I will be using some old school weight weenie techniques to achieve my goal. The goal for total weight is less than 4535g or 9.99999lbs (I want single digits really bad haha) and since this is a budget build I hope to stay under $5k. Based on my current spreadsheet I will be really close on both of the goals, should be a nail biter until the end. When I finally get around to building the wheels that will be the make it or break it component I think.

A couple years ago I bought the frame for this build, a used Cannondale Evo HM with a local team paint job. Since most people don't want to ride a bike with some local teams name and graphics on it I got a good deal on the frame set. The paint didn't bother me since I knew all the paint was coming off. It sat in my basement for a while until I finally got motivated to work on it earlier this year.

Now some pictures to get us started:
The Frame

Painted frame 58cm (No RD hanger, cable guide, etc)

Fork still has Crown Race installed so ~8-10 grams heavier than actual

Frame Bits:
BB Cable Guide (4g)
Derailleur Hanger (9.5g)
Headset - Complete (62.5g)

And now through the magic of the internet the frame is stripped and weighed:
Bare frame 58cm (No RD hanger, cable guide, etc) - 765.5g

Bare Fork (Trimmed to 240mm and Crown race removed) - 295.5g
Last edited by Comanche_man on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Weight Weenies:
Cannondale Evo HM (In Progress)
Cannondale CAAD 9 - 6.44kg
Cannondale CAAD 5 Track - 6.55kg
Kona Kula Supreme Mtb - 8.97kg

Other Bikes:
De Rosa Primato, 1988 Cannondale Criterium, Cannondale CAAD 8, Surly Steamroller, YETI ASR

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Hmm, was thinking about doing something similar [stripping the paint] to a frame I have kicking around here but if that is all I am going to gain.......... not sure if I can be bothered. May start with something else
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

beanbiken wrote:Hmm, was thinking about doing something similar [stripping the paint] to a frame I have kicking around here but if that is all I am going to gain.......... not sure if I can be bothered. May start with something else

Not a ton of weight, but this is weight weenies so every gram counts. :D I figure most factory paint jobs are around 100 grams total. Darker colors a little lighter and brighter colors a little heavier.

Now for pics of most of the parts that are migrating from the original Mr. Black:

Sram Red Shifters - Tuned (288.5g)

Sram Red RD - Tuned (135g)

Campagnolo Record FD - Tuned (63.5g)

M2 Racer Orb II Pedals (100g)

KCNC CB1 Brakes (154g)

Extralite Expander and Top Cap (11g)

BTP Bottle Cage and Bolts (16g)

M2 Racer Ti Bolt-on Skewers (29g)

Generic Carbon Headset Spacers (5.5g)
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:
De Rosa Primato, 1988 Cannondale Criterium, Cannondale CAAD 8, Surly Steamroller, YETI ASR

KB

by KB

Looking forward to the build process on this. Great start with the weight saving on the frame and fork. Enjoy.

willowwonka

by willowwonka

Looking forward to seeing all those components on the frame.

Those brakes are light!
- CANYON KATUSHA TEAM ULTIMATE SLX SUMMER RIG.
- CANNONDALE CAAD10 ANNODISED WINTER SLOG.

alistaird

by alistaird

Have you found a source of cleats for those pedals??

I've a set but could do with new cleats...

A

Sent from my n7100 using Tapatalk

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

Juanmoretime wrote:Nice project. Are you gong to clear coat it?

The frame will get some sort of paint or clear eventually. Right now I will just use some Aerospace 303.

alistaird wrote:Have you found a source of cleats for those pedals??

I've a set but could do with new cleats...

Luckily my cleats are in decent shape. Not sure what I am going to do when they wear out as I have no idea who would make replacements.

Now more parts for your viewing pleasure:

I traded my friend an old set of wheels for a brand new set of Zipp SL bars in 42cm width. They have a claimed weight of 170 but came in a bit over. I imagine the narrowest version is probably close to that weight. Anyways a little work with a razor blade and sand paper and they were stripped. I clear coated them and I am pretty happy with the final outcome.

Zipp SL Handlebars 42cm - Stock (178.5g)

Half way there

Finished (174g)

Stay tuned, more to come
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

Time for more parts and another update. So this frame is a PF30 frame so I needed the press in cups and bearings and a BB30 crank. I went with what may be the best bang for buck light crank offered right now and got the Sram Red 22 BB30 crank. I also purchased a basic Sram PF30 bb. I modified both of course. :D

Sram Red 22 BB30 Crank Arms Compact 172.5mm w/preload adjuster (358.5 grams)

Sram BB30 preload adjuster (5 grams)

Sram Red 34/50T Compact rings (156 grams)

Sram Red Chainring Bolts (9.5 grams)

So I went to town with the sandpaper again and removed all the logos from the arms and re clear coated them. Only saved a few grams but they look really nice nude. I also changed to the Extralite RC2 chainrings for a nice weight savings.

Sram Red Compact Crank Sanded - No Preload Adjuster (350 grams) total savings 3.5g

Extralite RC2 34/50T chainrings (97 grams) total savings 59g

Fully assembled crank(463 grams)

Finally the Sram PF30 bottom bracket. It was cheap and pretty light, but I knew we could do more. I ended up cutting most of the center sleeve out and just leaving the cups. I don't plan on riding this bike in bad weather so the center section is not really needed. I spent a fair amount of time rigging together a tool and using fine grit sandpaper to try and get both of the BB faces on the frame parallel and square so the bearings would run smooth. After installation everything seems to spin pretty freely and smooth.

Sram PF30 BB - non ceramic (82 grams)

Sram PF30 BB - Modified (71.5 grams) weight saved 10.5g

I am really happy with the final weight of the crank and bb system and only have about $460 invested all brand new. There are very few cranks out there that are lighter and they all cost a whole bunch more than this setup. I can't wait to put some miles on them.
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Nice! Great to see some modding done on this!

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

Great project! :thumbup:

I might have a little smth of interest for you (if 110mm is suitable), check this out just in case you didn't get my PM: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=141510 :smartass:

I think the stem would be the perfect match for the handlebars! :beerchug: And this bar-stem-combo happened to be my combo of choice on my old bike. My Zipp SL 44cm SS handlebars weighed 170g, the stem weighs 112g which made it a superlight (282g) an reliable combo!
My contribution to more beautiful roads: - old - / - new -

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

Daddy yo yo wrote:Great project! :thumbup:
I might have a little smth of interest for you (if 110mm is suitable), check this out just in case you didn't get my PM: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=141510 :smartass:
I think the stem would be the perfect match for the handlebars! :beerchug: And this bar-stem-combo happened to be my combo of choice on my old bike. My Zipp SL 44cm SS handlebars weighed 170g, the stem weighs 112g which made it a superlight (282g) an reliable combo!

Hey, thanks for the offer but I ended up buying a stem when I did my extralite order for chain rings. Which brings me to taking a picture and weighing my new stem, and WOW is it light, almost disconcertingly light. :D

Extralite Hyperstem w/Black graphics 100mm (77 grams)

Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

Ok time for an update. More parts, assembly, and a ride.

Deda Cork tape before wrapping (40.0 grams)

Excess tape after wrapping bars (6.0g) Total bartape weight 34 grams

Generic Steel brake cables (25.5 grams)

Power cords shift cables (5.5 grams)

I-links brake housing (27.0 grams)

I-Links shift housing (22.0 grams)

KMC X11SL (222.0 grams) sadly heavier than my last one :cry:

I splurged and got a new Mcfk Seatpost. Spendy but nice
27.2 x 200 (113.5 grams)

Tune Schraubwurger seat clamp 30.0 (10.0grams)

Assembly on the stand
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

So here it is completed.

So these are not the wheels I am planning for the bike, but I just had to get it rideable. These are Reynolds DV46 with a Red cassette, heavy Continental Competition tubulars, and basic QR's. That being said with these wheels it comes to pretty much 11lbs on the dot. The super weenie wheels I am planning to build should have no trouble knocking off the extra weight I want to lose. Stay tuned for those. Oh and that is not the saddle I plan on using for the final build, should lose another ~25 grams there.

Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:

KCookie

by KCookie

Looks great, nice proportions and amazing weight. Well done. !!!
How many links in the chain at 222g, was looking at changing to KMC and wondered how many grams I could save. !!! Cheers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

livestrong1986

by livestrong1986

Too black...looks like china bicycle