Emonda SL Campagnolo build 6.45kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

russianbear

by russianbear

I picked up a 2017 Emonda SL framset recently. I was jonesing for a new bike and it was time to try a Trek out since I work at a Trek shop. It will be my race rig for next year. I'm taking a little break before it's back to training next week, so I have time to weigh everything while I'm taking my time building this up. I'm moving everything over from my Ridley Noah. The build will be Super Record, except the brakes are Chorus. I'm saving my pennies for a set of EEs. Looking to get this build to 6.5kg, could be a bit of a challenge.

http://i.imgur.com/5xHhDpl.jpg

How about some scale shots?

http://i.imgur.com/BgH5UIA.jpg

Not bad for a size 60 frame. I should say that I removed EVERYTHING off the frame except the FD mounting tab and the plastic tubes for routing cables.

http://i.imgur.com/peqbg1T.jpg

Untrimmed fork, I'll be taking 3-4cm off the steer tube.

http://i.imgur.com/gJYg9Zm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XF186S8.jpg

FSA headset and expander.

http://i.imgur.com/kiEa7JX.jpg

Seatmast cap (175mm, the longer one). This is the SLR one that comes on the old top end build, it's about 10g lighter than a stock one. If i can find that center bolt in titanium, that would be rad, but looks like a special shape. I didn't measure too close, but I don't think I can get away with a 135mm one with my saddle height.

http://i.imgur.com/6XVatz6.jpg

Love the shape of these bars, just wish I could get rid of the Zipp logo close to the stem without sanding.

http://i.imgur.com/g5UFBeA.jpg

130mm Kalloy Uno with FWB anodized titanium bolts

Weights of some misc stuff that I won't upload pictures of:

Duotrap rubber cover: 6g
Derailleur hanger: 11g
Trek chaincatcher (small): 10g
Steel water cage bolts: 6g

That's it for now. I started putting it together today, should finish it by the weekend.
Last edited by russianbear on Tue May 23, 2017 4:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

russianbear

by russianbear

So 6.7kg spot on with my Vector S PM and Barfly. Bit heavier than I expected but that's ok. Guess i'll have to go for the EEs soon :).

Pictures tomorrow, haven't had time during daylight hours.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

willowwonka

by willowwonka

What wheels are you going with? I don't think under 6.5kg would be too difficult!
- CANYON KATUSHA TEAM ULTIMATE SLX SUMMER RIG.
- CANNONDALE CAAD10 ANNODISED WINTER SLOG.

russianbear

by russianbear

Aeolus 5s tubulars.

I'm having some issues with imgur for some reason, so hopefully this flickr link works:

Not sure about the bar angle/shifter position yet, trying something new. Thought the anodized red lockring would be too much, but will likely put it on later this week.

https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5545/3042 ... fdd4_k.jpg

Thanks ebay for the red alu hardware (also lighter)

http://i.imgur.com/bBVcfN3.jpg

The link housing doesn't arc as well as regular housing.

http://i.imgur.com/MgWXSaU.jpg

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

Wonderful bike. Love the tape just needs to be finished better!

coart

by coart

Campy on Trek?!!! Awesome!!
I like this.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nice. I love this bike... well thought out and designed and the geometry is really good. I have one, also in a size 60 H2 and with a Campy build... It is white, so this is an interesting build to compare against weights, since I suspect most of the difference has to due to paint. I think you can hit your weight goal, given some differences between yours and mine. For reference, here's my build, that in total as shown comes to 6.73kg...

My frame weight, (excluding rubber cover for duotrap sensor and chaincatcher).....1,222g
Yours: 1083 without derailleur hanger... add that back to compare and you get.... 1093g
Difference...129g right there. Nice.
My fork, uncut....398g
Yours: 380
Savings: 18grams

Funny though that your seatmast topper and hardware only comes to 138g versus mine at 154g. Never mind, I see that you have the SLR version. Savings of 16grams.

You'll also save 86grams on the bar versus my alloy option.

So, a quick tally puts you at a savings of 129+18+16+86= ~250g
That's 250g off of my total build weight of 6.73kg and BINGO, you're already under 6.5kg. Congratulations. It's an awesome bike. Enjoy.

Biggest ultimate difference will be in the wheels and tires I suppose.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

russianbear

by russianbear

Your bike was a big inspiration Calnago! Also thanks for the tips on BB install, I messaged you a while back about it. I have since fixed funky shifter and bar angle and saddle tilt. Actually had a retul done and it looks like I'll need a 140mm stem. It currently sits right at 6.7kg. Need to take some new pics.

Some other weights I have:

Aeolus 5s came in for the set at 1245g
KCNC skewers 47g
Dura Ace cassette 190g
Ultegra chain forgot what these weigh in at 250g?
Bontrager R4 tubs 295/297g
Sealant ~70g (this one's a necessary evil here in AZ)
There's probably excess grams of glue on the rear especially, I need to clean it next time I mount a new tire.
The Garmin Vector S pedals are 340g - if I wasn't running this PM, I'd be riding Time Xpresso pedals (190g) so 150g for data, gotta have it.

This tape, while cushy and cool looking, is pretty porky at 89g. I need to find some white electrical tape and finish it off proper (still close to the stem though). Once this gets dirty, I'll probably go for the Deda Traforato that's 30g for the roll.

Some additional weight savings I can do:

SRAM Red cassette 11-28 (20 grams)
KMC SL chain (20-25 grams)
Bank buster EE brakes (140 grams)
Above mentioned tape (45 grams)
Cane Creek Aer upper with the cool sliding bearing (15 grams here I think?) and an SL FSA lower bearing (10g maybe)
Tires.. I can run something narrower, but our roads are pretty crap and I'm keen to try the new Bontrager Classics tub that's a 28mm (only in the rear) but 375grams. Might try a 23mm on the front next time around.

Thoughts on the bike. I've been riding it the last couple of weeks and it's really surprising me at how well it does just about everything. I wasn't super excited about this frameset initially, but I've got to say it's winning me over. It's just a great bike. Front end has a very stable feel to it, especially high speed descending. It's not quite as stiff as the Noah, but that's completely expected. It's plenty stiff for the kind of racer I am (ie not a sprinter).

If anything I want to go deeper on the wheels, I've actually really enjoyed riding these Aeolus 5s for the last year. They are absolutely bomb proof and the weight is really impressive for a rim of this width (27mm). Not to mention they are stellar in the crosswinds. So who wants to sell me some Bora 80s for a good price... I suppose there's always the Aeolus 7s I could go with (1510g)

nonamed

by nonamed

I am glad that You enjoyed Aeolus 5 cause I am also looking for these wheels for next season.

The handlebar You use is ZIPP SL?

Great build anyway!

Clean39T

by Clean39T

russianbear wrote:Your bike was a big inspiration Calnago! Also thanks for the tips on BB install, I messaged you a while back about it. I have since fixed funky shifter and bar angle and saddle tilt. Actually had a retul done and it looks like I'll need a 140mm stem. It currently sits right at 6.7kg. Need to take some new pics.

Some other weights I have:

Aeolus 5s came in for the set at 1245g
KCNC skewers 47g
Dura Ace cassette 190g
Ultegra chain forgot what these weigh in at 250g?
Bontrager R4 tubs 295/297g
Sealant ~70g (this one's a necessary evil here in AZ)
There's probably excess grams of glue on the rear especially, I need to clean it next time I mount a new tire.
The Garmin Vector S pedals are 340g - if I wasn't running this PM, I'd be riding Time Xpresso pedals (190g) so 150g for data, gotta have it.

This tape, while cushy and cool looking, is pretty porky at 89g. I need to find some white electrical tape and finish it off proper (still close to the stem though). Once this gets dirty, I'll probably go for the Deda Traforato that's 30g for the roll.

Some additional weight savings I can do:

SRAM Red cassette 11-28 (20 grams)
KMC SL chain (20-25 grams)
Bank buster EE brakes (140 grams)
Above mentioned tape (45 grams)
Cane Creek Aer upper with the cool sliding bearing (15 grams here I think?) and an SL FSA lower bearing (10g maybe)
Tires.. I can run something narrower, but our roads are pretty crap and I'm keen to try the new Bontrager Classics tub that's a 28mm (only in the rear) but 375grams. Might try a 23mm on the front next time around.

Thoughts on the bike. I've been riding it the last couple of weeks and it's really surprising me at how well it does just about everything. I wasn't super excited about this frameset initially, but I've got to say it's winning me over. It's just a great bike. Front end has a very stable feel to it, especially high speed descending. It's not quite as stiff as the Noah, but that's completely expected. It's plenty stiff for the kind of racer I am (ie not a sprinter).

If anything I want to go deeper on the wheels, I've actually really enjoyed riding these Aeolus 5s for the last year. They are absolutely bomb proof and the weight is really impressive for a rim of this width (27mm). Not to mention they are stellar in the crosswinds. So who wants to sell me some Bora 80s for a good price... I suppose there's always the Aeolus 7s I could go with (1510g)

You can do a much lighter headset cap and expander - J&L maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russianbear

by russianbear

School and finals have been taking most of my time, but I'm managing to find time to train (just not to post too much hah).

nonamed wrote:I am glad that You enjoyed Aeolus 5 cause I am also looking for these wheels for next season.

The handlebar You use is ZIPP SL?

Great build anyway!

Yes on the Zipp SL (traditional bend).

Headset cap and expander

Already have the JL expander in there and a carbon top cap with an alu bolt.

New stem that was advised after my fit. Feels good! Kind of want to acetone off the 3T logo.. Unfortunately added about 27g to the system, but fit is king. Anyone interested in kalloy stems? (120 and 130mm) I have the ti bolt upgrade as well.

Here are some pictures that I took with my phone at the crit park:

http://i.imgur.com/mFwiTFe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IAt2GWY.jpg

I've been thinking about my fit on the bike and the geo of this bike, and if in the near future I have a chance to upgrade to the SLR model (not likely) I think I'd be better off on the 62 but in the H1 geometry.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha... before I even got to your last sentence in your last post, I was already thinking exactly that... If that's a 60 H2, I think both the fit and aesthetics would be better on a 62 H1. Sorry if I missed it, but what is your saddle height on that big boy anyway? I'm guessing 84-85cm.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

russianbear

by russianbear

Sharp eye Calnago. 84.5cm center to the top of that particular saddle.

russianbear

by russianbear

I have some Aeronova LTDs on the way. They are heavier, but since the reach is longer I can put the 130mm kalloy stem back on and use less bar tape (Deda on the way also), so I should actually come out ahead weight wise unless I'll have to use regular housing for the internal cable run in the bars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

So Aeronovas that WERE on the way ended up arriving cracked.. thanks ebay. Returned and refunded luckily. Then this happened:

And then some new wheels, had to be clinchers for a few reasons. However, these CLX32s are pretty darn light and tires, tubes, wheels system weight actually turned out a little lower than with the 50mm tubs. The wheels were spot on weight wise with claimed weight. The funny thing is when I first weight them, both front and rear were 30g over. I was pretty miffed. But turns out specialized found the heaviest rim tape in the world at 30g a piece. BUT, they provide "tubeless plugs" that are about the same as veloplugs and only weigh ~10g for both wheels.

Pardon shitty instaham filter; 6555g right now.

I have another pair of Aeronovas on the way, should be here end of week.