De Rosa Protos (6.64kg/14.6lbs)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Seedster

by Seedster

Contact www.cicliCorsa.com. They are a distributer and have shipped to me in the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

smokva

by smokva

Great looking bike. I wanted to order Protos at the end of 2015 but just couldn't justify 3rd De Rosa.
Now I'm bit sorry that I haven't when it is out 9f production.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

corky

by corky

TimW wrote:Cheers!

They are really easy to deal with and very quick with WR stuff to UK.

fogman

by fogman

Can you elaborate? How are the bars set up incorrectly? What would be the correct way to set up the bars?

It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

"Incorrectly" may be a strong word, since if that's what the OP wants then it's ultimately up to him. But yes, that setup does make my eyes water a bit as well. Looks to me like the OP is striving for a basically flat top and smooth flat transition to the hoods. Those bars are the wrong choice for that. What he's had to do to get that (with those bars) is rotate them upwards and mount the levers much further down the curve than they really should be for that bar. It makes the whole thing look really awkward, at least to me, and apparently to some others as well.
The wheels look quite nice I think.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RacerBice

by RacerBice

Nice build project! I have a similar one. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I7JTNItsiQ&t=30s. The matte white, as you can see. What is it you've heard about paint issues with them? I discussed this at length with my dealer, because I too considered to have mine clear-coated. And his theory was that clear-cote may well be more prone to "chipping".

Seedster

by Seedster

Nice touch with the red hubs, seat collar and bits. Is that Ugo's signature on the top tube?

Your dealer is right about white clear coat being prone to chipping. I already noticed two on my fork from some rock spray

cadence90

by cadence90

Very nice bicycle and build, Seedster.
Beautiful stuff.

fogman wrote:I have not heard of WR Compositi before reading this thread. I checked out their website. Looks like some nice stems and handlebars made in Italy.
Excellent components; they used to be standard spec on Pegorettis, etc.

Seedster wrote:My new WR Compositi tubulars are finally built and on their way. The set weighs 1,235g (560g front - 675g rear). The wheels should match the cockpit's matte 3k weave perfectly

Beautiful. 2 good companies.

TomColnago wrote:Shame it would look out of place on my C60 :(
Seedster has the "Victory" stem. An "ST1" or "ST1 Alpha" stem would not look out of place on a C60. :wink:

TimW wrote:This is a really lovely bike. Good job.
Slight hijack, Anyone know if WR sell to the UK or have a dealer? Can't seem to get website to work.
Iirc, PoshBike used to carry WR, but I have no idea what happened to PoshBike. There's a store called Brick Lane Bikes London that looks to have some vintage stuff; I don't know if they also are actually a WR distributor.

WR was down for quite awhile, re-doing the product line, etc., so perhaps they are not yet set up with new international distributors.

In any case, as others have already mentioned CicliCorsa are great to deal with. From Italy, Clemenzo Cycling and bikeonline.it also sell WR, but I believe CicliCorsa is the main retailer.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Seedster

by Seedster

Only a few minor tweaks remain. Real photos to follow

nismosr

by nismosr

awesome build .. I see the Black Label sticker that is 100% Made In Italy ..
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

Seedster

by Seedster

nismosr wrote:awesome build .. I see the Black Label sticker that is 100% Made In Italy ..

Thanks Nismosr! I love how aggressively it rides. Just added a powermeter too

Lafolie

by Lafolie

stunning

kgt

by kgt

We need a ride review as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Seedster

by Seedster

I absolutely adore my Protos. My Time RXR still holds a special place in my heart, but Protos is just stunning and makes me smile every time I see it. It’s much stiffer than the RXR, which is likely due to the monstrous BB. Consequently, the power transfer is immediate. I never noticed the RXR’s lag until now. I haven’t done a ride longer than two hours, but it isn’t as harsh as I first expected. The headtube is shorter than my RXR so I always feel like im in a sprinting position. I wouldn’t call it a climbing machine, but I am going to attribute that more to the rider than the bike. Overall, it is a fantastic machine and I am extremely happy with my decision to go for the prior design rather than the new model. With the addition of the SRM and Berk saddle, it’s finally complete.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Last edited by Seedster on Mon May 01, 2017 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.