Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:37 pm 

Here is the build of my new Emonda SLR 2017 frameset.
Project One color ordered one month ago.

Build details:
Frameset Trek Emonda SLR 2017 58 H2
Seatmast 20mm back length 135mm
Saddle Arione carbon CX
Handlebar XXX carbon Bontrager 46cm
Stem 120mm XXX Bontrager with garmin base
Dura Ace 9000 groupset with D-A Direct Mount brake calipers and 9100 rear derailleur
Speedplay Zero Titanium pedals
Bontrager XXX bottle cage
Bontrager Gel Cork tape
Hutchinson Service course tubulars
Campa Hyperon Wheelset
Shimano cable housings
Global weight : 6250 gr

Extreme C PR82

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:11 am 

So let me be the first to state the obvious then... should have gone SR.

How does it ride? Been considering one but keep reading mixed reports of either a bit harsh or a bit noodly?

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:11 am 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:21 am 

I would actually like to try one of the Trek SLR's as well but being a heavier guy, the light weight of the frame in a large size (I need a 60), does cause me a bit of hesitation. Generally speaking, with a super light weight frame, you often get what @bencolem describes... as "a bit harsh or a bit noodly". But as far as trying a light weight frame goes, I'm more inclined to trust a company like TREK, so you can be pretty sure that they've tested the crap out of it before releasing it to the public. I haven't really heard any reports except from magazine editors etc., and those are so watery that they can't be taken too seriously, so looking forward to some longer term ride reports here. I have an SL Emonda in a 60, but it weighs along the same lines as my Colnagos, whereas the SLR is truly a lightweight frame. Super happy with the geometry that both versions share however.

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:30 am 

bencolem wrote:
So let me be the first to state the obvious then... should have gone SR.

How does it ride? Been considering one but keep reading mixed reports of either a bit harsh or a bit noodly?

I've ridden only for a little bit more than 3 hours with the bike.
My first impressions. With my weight of 85-86kg, I found it more comfortable and vertical compliant than my C59, but anyway this is not a sofa but a race bike.
Bottom bracket seems very stiff, perhaps more than the C59.
The only noodles needed are for the rider :-)
I will give you more informations on my experience with the bike next week

Extreme C PR82

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:24 pm 

Good weight on a large frame with moderately light wheels ...

Clean build so well done

I imagine with that frame and those wheels that thing rides very plushly indeed. Please do give us a ride report

Assume you are going to cut the fork down?

The other obvious point is the mis-matching wheels and gruppo. DA24 tubs would really nail this build

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:11 pm 

sawyer wrote:
Good weight on a large frame with moderately light wheels ...

Clean build so well done

I imagine with that frame and those wheels that thing rides very plushly indeed. Please do give us a ride report

Assume you are going to cut the fork down?

The other obvious point is the mis-matching wheels and gruppo. DA24 tubs would really nail this build

Thanks.
Yes Hyperon are not the lightest wheels but probably still in the very best low profile carbon wheels. I have the clicher and the tubular versions. Tubular since 2003 ;-)
These wheels are very nervous and anyway stiff enough. Tom Boonen won World championship in Barcelona some years ago with Hyperon wheels.
I ride clincher ones at home 2 or 3 times a week and tubular only for good occasions and at the mountain (french alps). No carbon clincher wheels for the downhills...
I don't really see a problem using Campy wheels with shimano groupset. Campy knows this religion problem. That's why they created 15 years ago the fulcrum brand. Nearly same wheels, same hubs, same spokes, same rims, but different decals. Buyers have no problems to mix shimano or SRAM groups with Fulcrum wheels.

I could imagine replacing the decals of my rims with a design more custom and less italian :-)

Yes I will cut soon the fork steerer, because my position is perfect and is 100% the same as on my C59 and EPS 56s framesets. I always wait 2 or 3 courses before cutting. Trek recommands anyway when using a XXX carbon bontrager stem to let on the upper side a verysmall carbon spacer. I could let a 2mm one.
As I told in a previous post, after a first ride with many hills on bad road, frameset is comfortable (more than C59) but seems perhaps more stiff at the bottom bracket level. Anyway, I was not at a good performance level this week end.
I will come back soon with more return of experience with the bike.

Extreme C PR82

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:56 pm 

Nice build! Really impressed by the weight. I can't say that I've heard anyone complaining about the stiffness of the Emonda frames, but I guess there's always someone.

Interesting build, using those wide bars.

Madone 4, SpeedConcept, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:22 pm 

Bike looks great. Pleased the bars came to good use.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:23 am 

Second test of the SLR yesterday afternoon. 3 hours in a strong wind for about 80km.
Confirmation that frameset is mre comfrtable than C59 colnago. I ride 25mm Veloflex clinchers with Hyperon with bike monted with the short (135mm seatmast). I also have a 175mm slr10 version with carbon seatclamp, but I'am not sure this will be so flexible than 135mm.
Most valuable information or learning is the stiffness as I told after the first ride just as I need but nervousness and efficiency are really as I was waiting. I'am not sure a 60kg rider could wake up the frameset as I can with 85 kg, but for my weight it seems perfect.
I think Trek has succeded in mathematics problem called "Squaring of the circle" with a resulting bike the lightest as possible, with a maximum drivetrain stiffness, comfortable for the back and keeping anyway the nervous aspect in the climbs.

Extreme C PR82

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:49 am 

Thanks for the ride update @Tortor. I realize English is not your first language so when you say it is more "comfortable" than your C59 are you mostly referring to the bit of "flex" built in to their seatube layup and "ride tuned" seatmast technology? I have an SL Emonda and would agree that what Trek does here is really good. It's a subtle flex but noticeable over the bumps. Yet no so flexy that you get this unbalanced sensation between front and rear, as if the front is stiff but the rear is mushy.
And when you say it is not "nervous" in climbs, are you mostly referring to feeling confident while descending on such a light frame? That it's not "twitchy" or wobbly or feels so light that it could snap under you at any time? I would really like to test out an SLR Emonda as I know the geometry is perfect for me and I would trust TREK to have thoroughly tested out the frame for safety, etc.
Thanks again for posting. Your review seems real and not just "new bike so it must be great bike" kind of waxing. And I like your analogy to the Circle and The Square problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:05 pm 

Calnago wrote:
Thanks for the ride update @Tortor. I realize English is not your first language so when you say it is more "comfortable" than your C59 are you mostly referring to the bit of "flex" built in to their seatube layup and "ride tuned" seatmast technology? I have an SL Emonda and would agree that what Trek does here is really good. It's a subtle flex but noticeable over the bumps. Yet no so flexy that you get this unbalanced sensation between front and rear, as if the front is stiff but the rear is mushy.
And when you say it is not "nervous" in climbs, are you mostly referring to feeling confident while descending on such a light frame? That it's not "twitchy" or wobbly or feels so light that it could snap under you at any time? I would really like to test out an SLR Emonda as I know the geometry is perfect for me and I would trust TREK to have thoroughly tested out the frame for safety, etc.
Thanks again for posting. Your review seems real and not just "new bike so it must be great bike" kind of waxing. And I like your analogy to the Circle and The Square problem.

Thanks.
Yes, my mother Language is French :-)
Your "Flex" word is the right one.
When I say "nervous", I mean that when you stand up on the legs for accelerating or to climb Hight pourcent hills, If you go with the frame with the good tempo, frameset returns you the power like a crossbow. This kind of frameset behaviour is not due only to stiffness.
I never tried an SL frameset and I thing weight loss is a detail. But'I would be curious checking if what I call the "crossbow" effect is the same.

Extreme C PR82

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:16 pm 

Ok, and you find it to be solid and stable for descending as well?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:23 pm 

Calnago wrote:
Ok, and you find it to be solid and stable for descending as well?

Yes, sure I feel in security like with the colnago's when descending. Also if I leave both hands from the handlebar for eating something or relaxing my back.
At the beginning I found direct mount brakes worst and less powerfull than classic Dura ace I had previously. Now that the brakepad have taken their place on the brakepad, result seems the same.

Extreme C PR82

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:14 pm 

That is useful insight ... "nervosity" ... the quality of responsiveness ... stand up and if feels alive, anything but a 2x4 plank (think my old Giants!)

I do like the high end Emondas

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:14 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:37 pm 

Some news after 12 hours on the bike and about 320km.
Same opinion. The bike is really more comfortable than C59.
The "Oxbow" effect is really present.
Today I went with the C59 for 2 hours ride using the same wheels (Campy Hyperon for clinchers). Very important to compare both bikes with the same wheelset and tires.
Definitly, Colnago is an excellent bike but I prefer Trek's behaviour and soft vertical comfort.

Extreme C PR82