Hongfu FM079

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

So, the Scmolke carbon shifter clamps aren't compatible with my ST-RS685: the barrel nuts are 0.2mm too thick and the clamps don't fit into the recess at all. What a bummer.
Attachments
IMG_20180416_190721.jpg
IMG_20180416_193342.jpg
IMG_20180416_203813.jpg
IMG_20180416_203855.jpg

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Some additional illustrations of the issue I experienced with new clamps. The ST-R9120 should have the same issue too, just look at this photo, the lever body has the same recess design as ST-RS685. ST-R785 will probably fit and ST-R9170 will probably not. The Schmolke clamp also does not accept much of bar diameter variation, I had to scrub friction clearcoat from drops of my Hylix bar and it still stuck one day later, but at least alcohol spray helps to reduce the friction.
Attachments
Stock Shimano bar clamp.
Stock Shimano bar clamp.
Schmolke clamp, narrowest band height.
Schmolke clamp, narrowest band height.
Schmolke clamp, tallest band height.
Schmolke clamp, tallest band height.
ST-RS685 clamp recess height.
ST-RS685 clamp recess height.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

The damned thing has not been done yet, it's one problem after another. I was ready to accept a sub-optimal front shifting performance, it didn't bother me last year to be honest. But during last several days the frame was hanging from the stand, the rear RX4 consistently leaked minuscule amount of mineral oil from a point I struggle to identify: every part except one of post mount eyelets has stayed dry, surely it can't leak. I sent an email to Hope, maybe they'll be of help. While this gets sorted out, I cut the PYC chain (see scale shots below) and injected 20ml of regular Orange sealant into tires.
Attachments
20ml of Orange sealant
20ml of Orange sealant
Shimano HG600 chain, 107+1 links
Shimano HG600 chain, 107+1 links
PYC chain, 107+1 links
PYC chain, 107+1 links
The caliper leaks over circled areas
The caliper leaks over circled areas
Wet areas circled in orange, a suspicious notch/crack in cyan
Wet areas circled in orange, a suspicious notch/crack in cyan

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

I decided to continue the build with less obsession about every minute detail because I was on the verge of burnout, a lot of frustration has welled up and I honestly couldn't handle the situation too well. The bike's almost there! Now I need to decide if I want to go with Deda Traforato or Tesa 51608 bar tape: the former worked out good enough for me last year, but the bike will be a tad over 6.4kg; the later has very vague ride reports, but will keep the weight under 6.4kg. Too bad about the shifter clamps, they would be of help. Schmolke even ignored my last detailed email. I still have several days to think about the subject while my health issues prevent me from walking and big efforts. Fingers crossed, no major issues will arise during the test ride.
Attachments
IMG_20180430_152614.jpg
IMG_20180430_153041.jpg

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

The fleece tape gives me mixed feelings: it's light, the job looks mostly clean and pleasant to touch, but I'm not sure for how long it'll keep in the good shape. Still no ride report due to health issues. Strangely, the 17g difference did not register on scales, it still shows a 6.38-6.39kg value despite the 6402g from the spreadsheet.
Attachments
Hongfu FM079 current weight, complete
Hongfu FM079 current weight, complete
Hongfu FM079, current complete build
Hongfu FM079, current complete build
Fleece cloth tape wrap, top view
Fleece cloth tape wrap, top view
Fleece cloth tape wrap, left drop
Fleece cloth tape wrap, left drop
Fleece cloth tape wrap, right drop. Not the failed 8-figure direction change :facepalm:
Fleece cloth tape wrap, right drop. Not the failed 8-figure direction change :facepalm:
Fleece tape roll, pre-wrap
Fleece tape roll, pre-wrap
Fleece tape roll, post-wrap
Fleece tape roll, post-wrap

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Never replaced the hoods before, a second pair of hands really helps.

Also, my Darimo seatpost lock keeps unscrewing after ~5km, happened twice already. I had the same issue with a previous seatpost too, the solution was to crank it to 4nm, but this time I'll try blue threadlock first. After some adjustments and rides, I think the zero-setback post does work for me, I was really concerned about that.

Another thing worth mentioning are eBay CF pulleys from, I think, J&L. They were totally fine last year, albeit with some lateral play, but after rebuild I started to use the 50 ring more often, which probably led to complete separation on ceramic bearing and CF pulley, which in turn caused all sorts of chain and shifting issues. I've tried to put the pulleys back with glue, but wonder for how long it will last. Good thing I still have stock pulleys left.

More updates coming soon as I put the "wheelset upgrade" plan into motion.
Attachments
Shimano ST-RS685 hoods weight
Shimano ST-RS685 hoods weight

TonyM

by TonyM

You need to tape your handlebars so that you can’t see the aluminum attachment of the hoods on the handlebar.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

TonyM wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:44 am
You need to tape your handlebars so that you can’t see the aluminum attachment of the hoods on the handlebar.
Yeah, I though about that too. I'm generally OK with any non-function-impeding flaws and would only address these when in a right mood.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Today was the first ride this year when nothing broke, with nice weather and I even had Monday off, so here's some "proper" (I don't own a proper camera) from outside. And I taped the shifter clamps.
Attachments
Hongfu FM079
Hongfu FM079
IMG_20180521_140152.jpg

kidrob

by kidrob

Klaster1 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:21 am
Today was the first ride this year when nothing broke, with nice weather and I even had Monday off, so here's some "proper" (I don't own a proper camera) from outside. And I taped the shifter clamps.
Yeah, super nice man!

shamrock134

by shamrock134

How does it feel to ride? It looks very similar to the Canyon Ultimate frame shape.

I'm looking at building a cheap disc-braked road bike and the HF-FM088 (newer version of the 079 I think) looks good to me. I could also get a branded alloy frame for a similar price but for under £500 it seems rude not to get carbon!

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

shamrock134 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:57 am
How does it feel to ride? It looks very similar to the Canyon Ultimate frame shape.

I'm looking at building a cheap disc-braked road bike and the HF-FM088 (newer version of the 079 I think) looks good to me. I could also get a branded alloy frame for a similar price but for under £500 it seems rude not to get carbon!
Yeah, the frame has borrowed a lot of cues from Canyon, I think even the asymmetric chainstays. Nothing to compare it with, but the frame feels fine, I guess. It had some minor issues out of the box (see the first post), but nothing a LBS can't fix. I've actually seen your post in kidrob's thread earlier today, which led me to compare the geometry: it's identical, except for lower stack on FM088. Even the fork design looks very similar to FM079-F, maybe it's the same, but with a 12mm axle. You can also ask @joejack951 about his FM079-F.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

The Light-Bycicle RR46C02 rims have arrived, I kindly asked LB to pick the lightest pair out of several batches and they agreed. Took a week to ship, but that's nothing given I didn't order any spokes yet. The rims are supposed to be 422g and 424g, about 25g less than my current Light-Bicycle WRU35C02. To my surprise, rims look more shallow in real life compared to photos.
Attachments
Sapim Polyax nipples, 48pcs
Sapim Polyax nipples, 48pcs
Light-Bycicle RR46C02 rim
Light-Bycicle RR46C02 rim

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

New hubs.
Attachments
Extralite CyberFront SPD-2 12mm TA weight
Extralite CyberFront SPD-2 12mm TA weight
Extralite CyberRear SPD-2 QR weight
Extralite CyberRear SPD-2 QR weight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

The Compass Cayuse Extralight came overweight at 200g per tire instead of claimed 183g. Another surprise like that and I'd have to look for additional place to drop weight from during this summer. I already have several cockpit/shifters upgrade options planned, but that won't happen until at least next year due to parts availability.
Attachments
Compass Cayuse Extralight weight