Tarmac Etixx QuickSTEP edition with eTap

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ergott

by ergott

Last time I had a Pro Tour bike it was a 2000 Colnago C40. Production carbon has come a long way. It can't replace my Ottrott, it's very different. It's super planted and feels like a track car compared to the Serotta being an M3.

There are color details I just can't reproduce in the pics. The fork, chainstays, and along the toptube have gloss black with a rainbow flake in the paint. There's UD carbon and also some charcoal grey detailing including "Specialized" written on the underside of the top tube. I'll try to post some followup pics.

Last edited by ergott on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So nice. I was going to ask in my other comment when you posted the pic why this bike didn't have it's own thread. I think it's one of the nicest, most well proportioned Tarmacs I've seen. Ok, since I assume you like things as perfect as possible, and this is WW where uncalled for comments are the name of the day, no matter how minor and totally fixable... (and I suspect you know this already), here's mine...
1) That tape job around the right lever would bug me and I'd have to redo it. Looks sloppy. It's funny, because as much as I take pride in building a nice bike, a perfect tape job is an elusive thing, especially when you're working with unfamiliar bars. I've never taped these particular bars, but I think that could be tidied up a smidge, no?
2) The front brake cable looks short. I know the SRAM brakes are very finicky when it comes to correct housing length, so if that's what you had to do to make them work, then so be it... but it looks like you could add 2-3cm more housing for a nicer line to the brake and crossing of cables in the centerline of the headtube. I mean, c'mon... you've only got two cables to worry about :lol:
:beerchug:

Oh, and gorgeous color by the way. You say you can't get it to show through in the photos, so I can only imagine how great it looks in the flesh.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Definitely noticed the constructive criticism you mention and it's on the list. The bar tape is first!

I see why most pro bikes aren't 6.8kg. This build is about 7.1kg. I know the power meter is one reason. I could have went mechanical for some grams. I didn't chase WW parts, but would like to get it lighter at some point. I reckon I'll have lighter wheels by spring. Might as well use these for now and they are great wheels. The saddle works and will stay. The bars aren't that heavy nor is the stem. I have to consider the stem restrictions Specialized has with regards to having a hole where the barrel projects out rather than a sleeve. I don't think I can use the Fairwheel/Kalloy stem without voiding warranty.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, I had my C59 when I first built it up right at 6.8kg, and that was for a 61 Traditional frame, Colnago (not exactly WW frames). But no powermeter, and some lightweight pedals, carbon bar, etc. I actually added back weight in various parts and the ride is much better. I would like to know how you get on with those bars. I know you're much lighter than I am, but I found that a flexy front cockpit isn't much fun. I've been on alloy bars and stem for a long time now after giving carbon bars a good workout. Never liked carbon stems anyway, just because of the bulky aesthetics, and they saved minimal grams. Plus, I like a round bar, same feel now matter how you hold your hands or what position you're in. Some of these aero bars which are very thin (in the vertical plane) can be quite flexy in that same plane, but that probably doesn't matter if you're relatively light to begin with and don't muscle them around a lot. And you pretty much have to have them set in one position that suits where your comfort level on the top, which leaves little room to play with the angle of the drops. Although nowadays it seems the position in the drops is an afterthought at best, and shouldn't be. I figure if you can't ride for a significant amount of time comfortably in the drops, then your entire front end is too low to begin with.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Well that is a fine bike you have. Great colour and love the Sram eTap on the bike. As mentioned ; front brake cable is way to short / add at least 3cm for the best result and for the handlebar tape : insert 3cm in your bar and then turn it at the beginning of the bar. This is the best way to start a good overlap ( hope you understand what I mean ) and it will get the bar end plugs firm into the bar. http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Bar_Tape ... _3401.html

And why didn't you choose for the new Quarq Dzero ? I have the same groupset - but I will wait for the New Quarq Dzero for another moth here to arrive I guess. until that I will use my Stages DA9000.

ergott

by ergott

The front brake works well enough to wait to fix when I need to recalble it. For now it is lighter [emoji13]

I do appreciate the keen eyes here. Keeps me on my toes.

As for the crank, I really wasn't following Quarq and didn't realize a new one was almost out. I just ordered the Red since I new it would play well with the eTap.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

liam7020

by liam7020

Stunning bike, like it a lot!! I have the Astana team frame with Campag Record, must post a few photos when I get a chance. Your bike is really sweet, good health to enjoy. Frame size and stem length?
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Lovely build congrats ergott, it looks awesome!

I have a bit of a random question as I have the same frame and I am moving from mechanical DA to etap. Do you have stoppers or plugs to put in the holes where the gear cables enter and exit the frame? I've got a bag of bits and pieces that came with the frame but can't find them so not sure if they're supplied.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Nice - I spent longer than I should of looking at the front end pic wondering where you hid the cables... Looks super clean.

Also do you have a weight for that ESI bar tape?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

ergott

by ergott

Frame is 54cm and weighs 1080 with hanger and all the routing bits in place. Stem is 10cm Zipp SL.

I did use the plugs where the cables would enter the frame, but didn't see anything that would work for the exits. For the front mech it's easy enough to just put a small patch of electrical tape since the hole is flush. For the rear I have a bit of tape, but really want to find a plug that would fit better. I'm sure I can come up with something.

I didn't weigh the ESI tape, but it is noticeably denser/heavier than cork and the like. I have another new set that I could weigh and post back.

The rings don't come with the bike and for some reason, the new rings come with two catch pins instead of one and the black plug. I'm going to remove the second catch pin, but just wanted to get a ride or two with it in place just in case shifting wasn't dialed in yet. It could have come in handy even if it doesn't look right. I didn't have any misshifts, but I really only have a fews test rides on it. Weather isn't cooperating.

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Good idea regarding the electrical tape thanks. I've found the bag I had all the bits and pieces in and found the two plugs. Like you say, it may be a case of finding a plug meant for something else and adapting it to fit. If I find an easy fix I'll post it up.

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

Y'all can notice the dodgy bartaping and front brake cabling but nobody can pick up on "Etixx Quickset"?!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

What? They make concrete, right? :wink:

ergott

by ergott

IamnotWiggins wrote:Y'all can notice the dodgy bartaping and front brake cabling but nobody can pick up on "Etixx Quickset"?!

"Facepalm"

So much wrong, I should start all over again.

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

pair it with rapha pink or green bottles to add visibility