Diet time for my summer bike, lapierre xelius efi 400 2015

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Helo everyone, I've decided to put my summer bike, a Lapierre xelius efi 400 2015 on a diet. Currently full Ultegra 11, already upgraded the Bars to Ritchey Wcs carbon, lovely comfy and quite lite. Thinking of upgrading to ful Durace 9000. Maybe a Wcs carbon seat post, currently have the alloy single clamp type. Also, looking for a do it all, set of wheels. Been looking at the Fulcrum Quattro 40 carbon, quite lite and some aero benefit. Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.
Attachments
image.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Having just moved from Ultegra 6800 to Dura Ace 9000 I can safely say it's a very nice upgrade (especially the brakes) but the weight saving isn't that spectacular considering the cost. If you have a decent amount to spend then go for it, otherwise spend as much as you have on a nice wheel upgrade where you will certainly feel the most noticeable benefit. A seatpost swap will save a decent amount so definitely worth a look and the Ritchey one you mentioned is a good choice.

emorydptt

by emorydptt

agreed with burglar. May just upgrade the brakes for performance and crankset for weight. The other components are pretty minute weight savings vs cost. Wheels will have added value of weight and performance. good luck!
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

There really are a lot of these threads looking at reducing weight on bikes that are pretty much stock.
The standard answer is - upgrade your rotating weight and then look at easy wins (and light hits to the wallet) like bolt tuning, quick releases cockpit and seating area. Stock bars, stems, posts and saddles can be porky in many cases and it seems you are already on the case for those weight areas.

Your LaPierre is a nice looking bike.
The wheels would be the first weight culprit to upgrade for sure.
A good light set will dramatically change the way your bike handles and reacts.
The Ultegra is a super group. I would not touch it in your case.

Mods, we should consider a thread / sticky dedicated to "Stock Bike Weight Reduction Class 101."

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

I do agree, Ultegra works brilliantly. Not to sure what wheel, any recommendation's? Sometime with a little aero, but quite lite, budget £900.

benzebub

by benzebub

like you mentioned, I would look at the Fulcrum range. I've found the Fulcrum racing quattro carbon for 949€ (https://www.hopmansfietsgigant.nl/assor ... lset-2015/) but I don't know if that would be worthwile with the pound-to-euro conversion these days.
But I could be wrong

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Stretch the budget to £1000 and get some hand built carbon clinchers with some very nice hubs. That's what I did for my Supersix. I used Wheelsmith but there are other builders out there too. I paid a few quid over 1000 for my 50mm carbon clinchers with Chris King R45s and they came in at just over 1500g for the pair. Fantastic wheels, I couldn't be happier and by far the best modification I've made to my bike.

roelez

by roelez

Or go to farsport theyre reputable carbon wheels maker, i get myself a nice 890 gram 25mm tubular, sapim super spokes and carbon ti hub for 790$ they also offer a higher profile

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

junchen

by junchen

roelez wrote:Or go to farsport theyre reputable carbon wheels maker, i get myself a nice 890 gram 25mm tubular, sapim super spokes and carbon ti hub for 790$ they also offer a higher profile

Do u have a link for it? I just searched - couldn't find 25mm tubs carbon ti hub. There's one 890g for extra lite hubs but that costs 1.3k.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

roelez

by roelez

Ah sorry my bad mine with carbon ti was 920 gram, the 890 is laced with extralight hub

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Well I've started the upgrades for my Lapierre Xelius efi 400. Completely striped down the frame, barring the bb rear hanger and a few bolts. Quite happy with the frame weight, 956gr inc these items still on. So, from what I've read the bb is about 50gr. So if my maths are correct, just over 906gr for the frame, is this a good starting point? The forks are 365gr, dura ace items starting to arive. I'll weigh them and post a brake down of all the items. Not to sure what the total weight will be, full dura ace. Ritchey carbon finishing kit. Sella slr 160gr seat, the only drawback for now are the wheels. Shimano RS81 c24, not light. But will have to for the next year, not to sure that the boss/wife will allow me to spend on the wheels this year. I'll post some photos later on, comments or any advice very appreciated.

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Well, nearly there. Only the front caliper to install, this should be arriving this week. I was very lucky to sell my old Ultegra. This sale covered the crank plus shifters, bought all the other parts online. Kept an eye out for the best prices. Must say, the finish and quality is way better than the Ultegra. Everything went on great. Crank looks awsome the bike, rear shifting is a lot smoother than the old set. But the front mech, what a pig to get this one working fine. I'm about 90% happy with it, compared to the old setup, its been a pain. But got there in the end, really looking forward to trying the bike out with the new set. I've kept the Shimano rs81, c24 for this year. Looking to change them sometime, but no rush. I'll post some pictures later on. Plus the total bike weight, not to sure what to expect on the weight?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

One obvious place to save a ton of weight would be to get rid of the aero bars. And you'd also enjoy the benefit of being allowed to ride in groups without being harassed or laughed at. On the other hand if you have taken that first photo immediately after setting the bike up for a time trial competition or perhaps you're on your way to Kona, then it makes total sense.

(Sorry, but I feel I have to let out my inner troll today).
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

No probs, aero bar were only fitted for a TT. They are off the bike, quite surprise with the weight, 14.8lbs on the wifes weight watchers scales. Happy with that, mmmm what wheels to go for?

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Well finally finished, wow what a difference between Ultegra and Dura Ace. Gear shifting is so sweet and the brakes are so powerful, but yet controllable. Looking to drop some more weight off the bike and to slam the stem. Any recommendations? Should he a budget of about £800 for the wheel, looking for something aero'ish but lightweight. As I'm not to fast on the flats, but I like the hills. At the moment, in this spec it's 6.71kg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com