Cobalt Dream - down to 5.87kg. / 12.91lb.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dak

by dak

Put about 20 miles on the new MCFK saddle today. So far so good. Took some adjusting to get the angle right but I think I may have a winner. Will try a longer ride this week to really test it out and report back. Loving the stem / post /saddle all in the UD finish. Saddle weighed in at 84g.

My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

All the matte UD finish really makes that frame pop!

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

This build just keeps getting better and better

clipsed

by clipsed

Random question, but what did you use to wrap the DI2 cables out of the bars?

dak

by dak

If I understand, you mean the wrap on rear brake and di2 cables running into the head tube. that is Heat Shrink Tubing. I believe 4-1
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

dak

by dak

Quick review on the MCFK saddle-

Put about 100km on the saddle this weekend and so far I am amazed at how comfy it is, especially as a first timer on an all carbon saddle. The main thing was getting the angle right, because at first I thought it wasn't going to work out. But after fine tuning, it feels great. Definitely not soft like the Aliante, but I didn't develop any soreness in my sit bones /contact points or any other comfort or numbness issues. Seems to absorb rough roads really well too with the leaf spring effect without feeling like you are bouncing. I think as others have said when it comes to the all carbon saddles, a good quality, densely padded bib is a must. The Assos T.cento I wear seems to be a good match. Also the surface is very smooth but I didn't have any issues with slipping or sliding on the saddle. I prefer to shift in the saddle depending on my riding position and this allowed for easy adjusting without ever feeling slippery.

As far as construction, I continue to be impressed with the quality of all the MCFK stuff I've bought so far. The UD finish on the top of the saddle is just amazing, and especially given the 84g it weighs, the construction seems rock solid.

Curious to see how the comfort holds out on a 4-5 hour ride. Will report back

:beerchug:
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

dak

by dak

Update and question on MCFK Saddle.

After a few more rides I've noticed some soreness vs my Aliante 00 when in prolonged intense efforts on fast flat rides here in Florida. I think its a shape issue with the slightly wider mid section and the shorter apron tapering down off the side more abruptly as compared to the Aliante. This is causing soreness in the high inner hamstring and sit bones after being in a lower aero position on high intensity rides.

Otherwise I have no issue for more mixed effort rides up to 2-3 hours so far and I really love the saddle esthetics and even comfort otherwise.

Soooo, not sure if maybe I should try it in a slightly narrower version, i.e. 135mm instead of the 140mm.

Does anyone know if the transition and nose of the saddle would be narrower also or just the back section on the MCFK if I go down to a 135 or 130mm?

Also any other full carbon suggestions for an Aliante enthusiast?

Just based on appearance the Berk Hlod looks like it could work.
Also considering trying a Tune Komm Vor.

I know there are lots of Lupina fans on the forum but at least based on looks, it appears too flat from back to front.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

evan326

by evan326

Ever had your sitbones measured? Mine were 115mm, I was given a 143mm toupe with my fit. I like it, but I find myself sliding almost to the tip of it on hard rides. I've been told by a few, and have read that next saddle I get to maybe try one step down from 143 if offered.

jasonh

by jasonh

If I haven’t posted anything about this build.... WOW! Simply stunning. I give it 99.5 out of 100. Is it possible to trim the “tail” that appears at the very end of the seat post without compromising the strength of the post.

dak

by dak

jasonh wrote:If I haven’t posted anything about this build.... WOW! Simply stunning. I give it 99.5 out of 100. Is it possible to trim the “tail” that appears at the very end of the seat post without compromising the strength of the post.

Thanks Jason. :thumbup:

I think the tail you are referring to is from the original Cannondale SAVE seatpost. The current post from MCFK I am using (see the most up to date picture at the top of the first post) no longer has the "tail", but to your question I do not think the a "tail" can be removed as it is part of the structural design of the post and has both clamp bolts routed through it.

Cheers,
Dimitri
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

dak

by dak

evan326 wrote:Ever had your sitbones measured? Mine were 115mm, I was given a 143mm toupe with my fit. I like it, but I find myself sliding almost to the tip of it on hard rides. I've been told by a few, and have read that next saddle I get to maybe try one step down from 143 if offered.

Hey Evan,

Thanks for the response to my question. The only time I had anything like a measurement done was years ago at a Trek store when I sat on this gel pad thingy that said I needed their wider saddles, but honestly it did not seem like the most accurate recording device! :noidea:

At the time they gave me a saddle that was 146mm wide, but later I was able to get along well with the Selle SMP Glider which is only 136mm. My current favorite the Aliante 00 is 140mm which is why I went with the 140mm in the MCFK.

I pretty sure it really depends on the saddle shape but I think you're probably right that I could go with something narrower. If I can find a good deal on a MCFK in a 135 or 130mm I might give it another shot as I really liked the saddle except for the issue I outlined above.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

dak wrote:
evan326 wrote:Ever had your sitbones measured? Mine were 115mm, I was given a 143mm toupe with my fit. I like it, but I find myself sliding almost to the tip of it on hard rides. I've been told by a few, and have read that next saddle I get to maybe try one step down from 143 if offered.

Hey Evan,

Thanks for the response to my question. The only time I had anything like a measurement done was years ago at a Trek store when I sat on this gel pad thingy that said I needed their wider saddles, but honestly it did not seem like the most accurate recording device! :noidea:

At the time they gave me a saddle that was 146mm wide, but later I was able to get along well with the Selle SMP Glider which is only 136mm. My current favorite the Aliante 00 is 140mm which is why I went with the 140mm in the MCFK.

I pretty sure it really depends on the saddle shape but I think you're probably right that I could go with something narrower. If I can find a good deal on a MCFK in a 135 or 130mm I might give it another shot as I really liked the saddle except for the issue I outlined above.

Steve Hogg will tell you that measuring sit bones is a fools errand because nobody actually sits on those when riding a bicycle (unless you're on a beach cruiser). (good article here: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... bout-smps/)

Also, comparing width measurements across brands is sort of like comparing a "size 52" frame across manufacturers - everyone measures it differently.

If you are having discomfort when pedaling in anger, but not when on tempo rides, it might be a function of the shape rather than the "width". Most folks tend to move forward slightly when on the rivet (hence the phrase). If the Glider worked well for you, what about a full carbon SMP?

dak

by dak

FastforaSlowGuy wrote:
dak wrote:

Hey Evan,

Steve Hogg will tell you that measuring sit bones is a fools errand because nobody actually sits on those when riding a bicycle (unless you're on a beach cruiser). (good article here: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... bout-smps/)

Also, comparing width measurements across brands is sort of like comparing a "size 52" frame across manufacturers - everyone measures it differently.

If you are having discomfort when pedaling in anger, but not when on tempo rides, it might be a function of the shape rather than the "width". Most folks tend to move forward slightly when on the rivet (hence the phrase). If the Glider worked well for you, what about a full carbon SMP?

LOL your Angry comment had me in stitches. :lol: Thanks for the suggestion. I've read that Steve Hogg article more times than I can remember! Awesome resource for sure. The issue I had with the SMP was that it only worked well for me in those "Angry" :twisted: moments at reducing numbness but was not that comfortable overall and especially for more relaxed rides it did not work as well as the Aliante. Also I like to move around in the saddle and SMPs tend to lock you into a more limited position.

Plus, since this is WW after all, my main goal, given the Aliante is doing the job well, was to shave a significant chunk of my last few grams on this build by going to an uber light full carbon saddle. The lightest SMPs are around 120g vs the 84g on the MCFK
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

dak

by dak

The Berk Hlod seems to have a similar shape based on the pics I found online. Is anyone riding the Hlod and specifically anyone with experience on an Aliante?

ImageImageImageImage
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

FastforaSlowGuy wrote:
dak wrote:

Hey Evan,

Where would you recommend to start in looking for the proper saddle fit then?