Cobalt Dream - down to 5.87kg. / 12.91lb.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dak

by dak

Most recent update on 12/13/2017

--------------------------------------------
Original post:

After 4 great years with my last ride, a BMC SL01, I have finally built up my dream bike!

Custom built 2016 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod in Cobalt Blue.

I was back and forth between the 2016 Evo and the BMC SLR01. I had ridden both bikes extensively and loved the balance of comfort to stiffness both frames afforded. In the end, I went with the Evo because I fell in love with the frame color which was different from the usual red, black and white or the murdered carbon look. Found a killer deal on the frameset and crank for $1650 and then pieced together the rest of the build. Was going to wait on the new 9150 Di2 but in the end I liked the esthetics of the 9070 group and really was only excited about the new shifters. So, I decided to cannibalize a set of 6770 shifters from my old build and have the new 9150 shifters on pre-order.

Weight:....6.72kg. / 14.78lb. ready to ride with pedals, cages and Garmin mount / computer. In the next couple of months I will be cutting about 100 grams once my 9150 shifters come in.

Seatpost - SAVE Carbon
Seat - Aliante VSX Braided
Stem - Easton EA90 120mm -10 degree
Bar - Easton EC70 Aero 40cm
Bartape - SuperCaz Super Sticky Cush
bottle cages - Arundel Mandible matte 3k
Brakes - Dura Ace 9000
Front derailleur - Dura Ace 9070 Di2
Rear derailleur - Dura Ace 9070 Di2
Crankset - Cannondale SI with Stages Power meter (on backorder with Stages but will only ad 20g)
Chainrings - 10-arm SpiderRing 53/39
Chain - Dura Ace 9000
Shifters - Ultegra 6770 (I have pre-ordered the new Dura Ace 9150 Shifters from Competitive Cyclist - this should shave about 100g)
Cassette - 11-28 Dura Ace 9000
Wheels - Enve 6.7's Clinchers
hubs - White Industries T11 hubs
Spokes - Sapim CX-ray
Tubes - conti race
Tires - New Michellin Power Competition
Pedals - Dura Ace 9000 +4mm (was getting heavy rub but I actually haven't notice the wider q-factor that much)
computer - Wahoo RFLKT+

Last edited by dak on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

KarlC

by KarlC

Great color on a great bike nice job
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

Nice looking bike the blue with black is very striking......visually only let down by the saddle and post.

kgt

by kgt

Great looking bike! I would prefer a lower profile saddle but you should use whichtever saddle you find comfortable of course.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Not a fan of aero bars but these look nice. Drops look comfy and with enough reach to go long and low (aero)

dak

by dak

KarlC wrote:Great color on a great bike nice job

Thanks Karl! The blue looks even better in person.

corky wrote:Nice looking bike the blue with black is very striking......visually only let down by the saddle and post.

Corky,
The seatpost options are pretty limited in the 25.4mm size. The SAVE post is supposed to add to the over all ride compliance and I can say I have never dreamed of riding a race bike that was this comfortable. It was also included in the price of the frame so I was not going to turn it down.

At least it's a little more subtle than the turkey gobbler on the Roubaix! :frightened: :scared:

:laughat:
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

Delorre

by Delorre

As you don't seem to need a lot of saddle setback, why not a Hylix seatpost? Otherwise, :shock: build!! Congrats :thumbup:

dak

by dak

Delorre wrote:As you don't seem to need a lot of saddle setback, why not a Hylix seatpost? Otherwise, :shock: build!! Congrats :thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback! I have not heard of Hylix but after goggling it, I would be concerned with such a light post given I usually range from 80-85kg in weight. Any larger riders have experiences with these posts / components from Hylix?
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

AZR3

by AZR3

That's a killer blue, just seems to radiate!

dak

by dak

kgt wrote:Great looking bike! I would prefer a lower profile saddle but you should use whichtever saddle you find comfortable of course.

Thanks kgt!
After trying and riding about 10 saddles in the last 4 years, I have truly found nether region nirvana with the Aliante VSX. :no1: At 229 grams, I realize I could easily shed another 50-100 grams and use a lower profile model like my Bontrager RLX, but I wouldn't trade the comfort I've found on the Aliante.

What's really amazing about the saddle is that it's comfortable in such a wide variety of position. In the past I have found saddles that were great in a more upright position but I would go numb once I started laying down the power in a more aero position. Same for saddles that were great in the aero position but torture devices when you tried to sit up for a few minutes. This one has the big channel for counteracting the numbness and a more padded nose for hanging off the front, but can still be ridden very comfortably more upright when in the back of a group.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Delorre wrote:As you don't seem to need a lot of saddle setback, why not a Hylix seatpost? Otherwise, :shock: build!! Congrats :thumbup:

Don't do the Hylix, crap quality control at least on mine (caad12), I guess other 0 option is FSA slk or Thomson.

Love love the blue, very electric!

dak

by dak

ultyguy wrote:

Don't do the Hylix, crap quality control at least on mine (caad12), I guess other 0 option is FSA slk or Thomson.

Love love the blue, very electric!

It's a bit of an optical illusion on the setback of the seat post. The post is a 15mm setback post. When I first saw the bike after the build up I thought the saddle setback must of have been measured incorrectly as it looked too far forward. But if you look closer I really only have about 10-15mm of available setback left on the rails of the Aliante (the Fizik's have a shorter rail than other saddles I've owned especially compared to my Selle SMP). I might could get away with a 0 setback slammed back but at least now I have about 15mm of adjustability fore and aft if my fit changes at all.

My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

That blue really pops :thumbup:
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

eric01

by eric01

Nice is that a custom color? Really nice choice
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

dak

by dak

eric01 wrote:Nice is that a custom color? Really nice choice

Thanks Eric,

Actually it's one of 2 stock color schemes for the 2016 Ultergra Hi-Mod build but it's the secondary color after the green color way. It's really one of the few Cannondale color schemes I've liked since they started with all this limeade green stuff.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com