LOOK 695 XXL with Campy EPS v3....

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Lig

by Lig

Hi KCookie and thanks..... funny you should mention the rings.....

I put the FL rings on as soon as I built the bike, and did notice there was some flex on the big ring. With mechanical this wasn't a big issue as when in say 53 / 21, I could just click and move the front mech a fraction to stop it catching..... however with EPS this wasn't possible and was a bit annoying. I have since (two weeks ago) changed the rings to Praxis Works Buzz rings and this has cured the problem. They do also feel stiffer than the FL rings (I have definitely felt that the crank is stiffer on every ride since installing them) . Yeah - they don't look as pretty and weigh twice as much as the FL rings, but on this occasion performance over weight and looks :lol:

Cheers,
Lig.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks for the reply,
I had Praxis rings on originally and changed to the FL, the shifting was not good at all, one shift pin fell out which didn't help, I've bought some Stronglight rings to try but as you say you can't fault Praxis for strength and performance. Yes I agree they are heavy but In the end I think I will be riding with the Praxis. The FL rings do look so good though. !!!

Lig

by Lig

Yeah it is a shame they can not make them stiffer.... I found the shifting fine and no shift pins have fallen off, but I had heard of this happening. Maybe they changed the bond? But I never shift under load. The Praxis rings are without doubt better performance wise...

Cheers,
Lig.

KCookie

by KCookie

Yeah I don't think the weight difference is going to make me ride any faster. Lol.
Also are your tyres the Carbons, as I have some waiting to go on my Obie Swartz, currently on Conti Comps and wondered if to change as I've only done a few hundred km on them. Plus there lighter. Lol.
Cheers

Lig

by Lig

Hi KC,

The tyres are Corsa 25s as they are Clincher wheels... I do have a set of Standard IIIs and have always run Conti Comps on these as I can always get a much better price on the Comps than the Carbons and I like how the Comps perform. But I do like the Corsas better than say 4000s. Wear rate isn't great, but I don't mind this as I like changing them every season. Grip is really good.

Cheers,
Lig.

fobtions

by fobtions

supposedly there is a dual port fitting so that a brake cable/ and eps wire can pass through.
did you dremel a provision for that on a regular cable stop?

Lig

by Lig

Hi Fobtions,

You get one additional metal plate which has a hole in for passing the wire through and then you would use the supplied grommet with the EPS/Di2 to cover this. I didn't have to dremel anything, the hole was just big enough to allow the brake cable and wire through...

Cheers.
Lig.

Lig

by Lig

Hi all,

Just made a small alteration to the EPS installation.... I wasn't happy with the cable and wire with insulation tape, so removed both and put them through some heatshrink, which looks neater. I also wasn't happy with the way the EPS interface sat under the stem so I cut off the 'fitting plate' which did expose the internals, but this will be sealed \ covered by the foam tape used to attach it to the underside of the stem.

Cheers,
Lig.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
Last edited by Lig on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seedster

by Seedster

Beautiful. Love the attention to detail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

How are your bearings jolding up. Any creaking. Nide build so there is a fix to use eps after all.

Lig

by Lig

Thanks Seedster....

bm0p700f - No creaking at all - are yours creaking? Which bearings? Headset or BB???

Cheers,
Lig.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

nice bike. why the mix of sr and record? any water issues with you opening up the v3 junction.

Lig

by Lig

Hi Mike and thanks,

I went for R initially as I didn't see the cost benefit v weight and I also run Ceramic Speed jockey wheels so didn't need the SR wheels and then ended up striking a deal to include SR levers.

Potentially yes there could be issues with opening up the interface, but it has plastic tape over the hole and then the foam/plastic double sided tape and as a rule I wont use this bike in the wet, but I guess I could get caught out, but I think its a very small risk that any water will get in, and i am happy to take this risk as It just looks so much neater and very worst case I have to replace it (luckily it's the cheapest part of the EPS system).

Cheers,
Lig.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Bb bearings creak, i have solved mostly by using tub glue. That has been more sucessful than loctite.

Lig

by Lig

That's interesting.... I have had no creaks at all in that area. I thought i did, but it turned out to be the freehub that was creaking.... I have removed the cranks a number of times and each time cleaned the bearings and shell and applied a light coating of grease and everything has been fine (touch wood)!!

Cheers,
Lig.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com