Third Time's a Charm: Litespeed T3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

@lightweenie

Nope, no more power meter, don't care anymore. I decided last year that I don't want to train to ride, I just want to enjoy my rides... And inflict suffering on the weekend rides.

@4ibanez
I ran them for most of 2015 and 2016 but these days I prefer not to worry about chipping teeth on my rings plus you'll see in a minute why I'm sticking with my current rings.

So, I can't remember if it was the BB30 version or pf30 but the bottom bracket used to have a tiny lip on it. It looks like they revised it but it's also super fat now:

Compared to the old one:

I was prepared for a heavy BB but 40g heavier than FSA? Ouch...

Since I'm putting a metal BB into the Ti bottom bracket, I learned my lesson with the Chris King PF30 Bottom Bracket and will be doing Loctite this time:

Had to clean the shell:

And then put my MKV rings back on:

So, a 14g penalty over Fibre-Lyte rings. I'll take that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Outgoing crank weight with preload ring.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Looking good. Those Red cranks didn't match with your group even logos were removed.

RyanH

by RyanH

Here's the current build list:

And how she stands at the moment:

RyanH

by RyanH

Since the Crumpton is off for day surgery, I decided to put Ultegra Di2 onto the Litespeed (9150 just arrived for the Crumpton).

I've wired a few bikes so far for di2 and they've all been a breeze until this one. Holy crap that was a lot of work. It took me an hour to fish the wires through the miniature holes they drilled.

9100 B Knuckle:

8050 B Knuckle:

9100 pulley:

8050 RD:

Junction hidden on the underside:

And yes, I'll change the bar tape, was too lazy and just swapped the whole cockpit over:

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

How come the THM didn't go back on?

RyanH

by RyanH

The Crumpton will be back in a month so I didn't want put any unnecessary wear and tear on the bottom bracket shell or BB itself.

For the moment, Litespeed got mugged of the good tidbits. However, I'm trying to make this an opportunity to replace the somewhat light parts with even lighter parts for the Crumtpon. For example, I've had a hard time justifying replacing the Mcfk post to save 40g, but since I now need a second post, I can justify getting the Darimo. I'm trying to stick to a monthly budget so the Crumpton may be in pieces for a few months while I acquire a few gucci bits.

As a side note, little things definitely add up since the Litespeed is about 6.3kg as shown and will be close to 6.5 to 6.6kg once the Bora 35s come. I'm a bit baffled by that as I was getting close to sub 6kg WITH DA brakes and LW.

RyanH

by RyanH

Got some bright label Boras, my least favorite color way, just a tad too in your face. Fortunately, the water transfer decals are removable, just not very easily. No worries, a towel soaked in acetone and placed under plastic wrap for 5 minutes softens up the logos really nicely.

First attempt after several minutes of rubbing with acetone:

Time to soak:

After about 5 minutes:

After an hour or so of doing this and subsequently running out of acetone (still need to clean up little bits) :

Also, Campy freehub is slightly lighter than the Shimano one:

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Sweet wheels :thumbup:

I have taken the logos off Bora wheels before and what I found was the easiest method was a rubbing action keep the rag soaked in acetone. Although the soaking that you used seems less laboring. Enjoy!

RyanH

by RyanH

After several hours of laboring over the wheels, I finished the rear too:

I decided to put Vlaanderen on them so took a moment to weigh, if my math is right, total weight minus the cassette is 1165 which is about 15g lighter than my last pair.

I still need to clean up the remnants on the front:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Sounds like the water transfer decals aren’t quite as easy to remove as I thought they might be. Can’t tell from the photos but now that you’ve removed them, is there anything at all that would indicate there were decals there at one time but they’ve been removed? In other words, do they look brand spankin new as if there never were or meant to be any decals from the get go. Weight is within a gram of what mine are.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

When I removed from same gen Bora Ultra wheels there was no residual to show that a decal was once there.

RyanH

by RyanH

@calgnago, they were smooth after removing and yes, they were a royal PITA to get rid of.

I put 9150 on it so here she is at the moment:

This compression cap is still my favorite:

I put Vlaanderen on the Boras to see if my impression of them was the same. Verdict is still out if they feel a bit "wide" descending but the sensation of speed that they have is addictive. My legs felt good today so I was taking 28-30mph several minute pulls today and the sensation that the Vlaanderen create just feeds on itself to go faster and faster.

In addition to the tires, my decision to go back to the Boras was the right one, I think they're the best wheel out there. I just didn't fully realize that when I had them...until I went through a dozen other sets searching for the traits that the Boras had.

RyanH

by RyanH

New cranks day, SRM is inbound but in the mean time using a Stages. The plus side of that is I get to use the spiderring, the downside is I don't trust the power data.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

So back on the lightweights again after listing for sale. Back on boras after selling. Back on hollowgrams after selling. How worried is your wife about you contacting ex's on facebook?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com