Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous 121 22 23 24 2527 Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:07 am 

RyanH wrote:
I think the most surprising thing is how fatigued I am. I asked a friend who crashed at track nationals during the Team TT if he experienced similar fatigue and he confirmed that it lasted for several days, if not a whole week.

I didn't wake until 9am this morning, did bike maintenance and then by 1pm was exhausted and had to take a nap. It's 7pm and I'm ready to sleep again.

Glad you are 'OK' after such a crash. But, even if you are OK, your body goes in recovery mode, and all the energy goes to that. I had 2 crashes this year within 3 weeks, the last one with a lot of road rash, and it took 2 weeks after the last one, until I felt really OK again ( apart from the healing of the skin that took way longer than that on some places). Take your time, give your body the rest it needs, it's the fastest way to recover!!

Retired:
Canyon Endurace CF SLX 2016
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2013

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:39 am 
Administrator

Heal well. I completely understand. I was hit by a car on August 24th of this year. I don't remember getting hit, nor the ambulance ride to the hospital nor the two days I spent in the hospital. Friends that came to see me in the hospital asked if I remembered them stopping in, I didn't, good thing because they said I was talking crazy. The woman that hit me was ticketed since I clearly had the right of way. I was hemoraging in two places in my brain. It caused both short and long term memory issues and continues to be an issue but has improved. I still don't feel like my old self yet. I had to spend 46 days no driving my car and two months off the bike. Still have new pain issues but am back on the bike but gaining fitness again. is a long and slow process. All the damage was on the right side of me. Mostly helmet, pedal and bar tape, bottle cages too got destroyed. I must have seen it coming since I turned my bike and all the damage was on the right side. Theory anyway.

Accident happen but I can say this. After surviving stage three throat cancer last year I would have rather had cancer again then the head injury since it has been tougher on me.

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:39 am 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:42 pm 

Get well soon Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:10 am 

Thanks everyone.

I got a care package today from Clean39T. I've wanted a pair of these for awhile and since the Mavics have to go back (that's correct, PBK still hasn't finalized the return courier details) and I thought I had sold the Enve last week, I was in need of wheels asap and these fit the bill.

ImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:33 am 

RyanH wrote:
Thanks everyone.

I got a care package today from Clean39T. I've wanted a pair of these for awhile and since the Mavics have to go back (that's correct, PBK still hasn't finalized the return courier details) and I thought I had sold the Enve last week, I was in need of wheels asap and these fit the bill.

ImageImageImageImageImage

I’m surprised at how light those are...and they look great! Lemme know how you like the ride. I’ve heard good things...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:14 pm 

It is gaining quite a bit of weight. First going back again to campagnolo breaks, and now the wheels...

Can you run reasonable width tubulars on these rims?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:53 pm 

Must have hit your head or something, geez, a cassette twice the weight of sram xg and skewers that weigh 3x as much as tunes...ex weenie?
Those nemesis are cool though, never had a set. Ideal wheels for the crap roads you're on a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:15 pm 

Thunder stealer

Retired:
Blue | Project C6.0 | Felt AR FRD | Colnago C59 NERO | 2014 S-Works Tarmac | S-Works Venge | Wilier Cento Uno SL | Tarmac SL2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:18 pm 

glepore wrote:
Must have hit your head or something, geez, a cassette twice the weight of sram xg and skewers that weigh 3x as much as tunes...ex weenie?
Those nemesis are cool though, never had a set. Ideal wheels for the crap roads you're on a lot.

I was thinking the same, where is this leading to and why ?

Colnago Master X Light --> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=140479

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:59 pm 

Sent Ryan a text. Will repost here:

Ambrosio Nemesis: worst riding wheels ever
Boat anchor heavy
Sluggish
Suprisingly, jarringly stiff
Good for two things: Cobbled Classics pre-2005 and fetishists who ride about 1000K yearly

YMMV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:39 am 

Well, it's a bit of a long story but this past year I've been in search of the ultimate wheelset. It all started when I got the Boras back in January and I was shocked at how much better they were than previous gen Reynolds. That has led to about 15 wheelsets coming into my possession this year alone.

So, through that search how the hell did I end up with these? The mother effing Enves and their poor braking*. They were supposed to be my holy grail build of sorts. Stiff, decent weight, good in cross winds, bomb proof, superb braking and have that sense of speed that only a few wheels deliver. In the end, they delivered on all of that except braking. I was expecting iTgmax level braking and instead got something that was maybe on par with previous gen Reynolds. Frustrated with that, I pulled the trigger on the wheels I originally was going to buy but wasn't sure they'd be robust enough as daily drivers, the Mavic Cosmic Ultimates. A month later those came and they were broken on arrival. Back on the Enve I went and the frustration mounted. It become a focal point of each ride: subpar braking. So, when I had a chance to sell them (which ultimately fell through) I took it and was going to be wheel less. Fortunately Dan had these for sale so I decided to take the plunge and go to the other extreme, back to alloy braking. I guess not the complete extreme though as I was seriously considering going disc.

Looking back, the Bora 35s are probably the best all around wheelset that I've had. The graphics and slightly yellowish tint to the carbon bothered me but among stock wheels they are probably the best. If I built a new wheel set, my next trial (and error) would be Schmolke 30 (or Corima 32) laced to Wheels Mfg. I was impressed with the stiffness of Denavelo's set. Braking was very good, although not as good as iTgmax.

Last comment on the Enve, I tried them with a lot of different pads and the eeBrakes. When the CCUs didn't end up working, I gave it one last shot and put the Campy brakes back on. Braking was significantly improved. As a testament to how much better they are, I wasn't actually that impressed with the alloy braking today. Last time I rode alloy I thought I was going to flip over. This time it seemed stronger but not night and day.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:44 am 

If braking is the thing, hard to beat al33's. Reasonable weight, excellent braking. The do chew thru pads, however.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:51 am 

I'm pretty deep into the tubular only camp. I'm pretty sure I'd do tubs for a disc build too.

When I had the Mavic CCU (previous gen) with Bora Red Pads and 9100 brakes, that was intense how good they were. Actually almost all of the wheels with 9100 brakes were superb. They could probably even make the Alto wheels stop on a dime.

We'll see, it's possible I may end up on 9150 again just to get the brakes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:58 am 

Hmmm... I can only say that I quite love the ride of the Nemesis. Quality of the ride might depend somewhat on the quality of the build. With Campy Record, or Dura Ace hubs, properly tensioned DT Swiss Competition spokes (2.0/1.8.2.0), brass nipples and a nice fitting tubular I really don’t think the ride can be much better. Plus the non machined brake track provides superb quiet braking. The rim bed radius is quite small however, and thus I wouldn’t recommend greater than 25mm tubulars unless you kind of build up the radius a bit (Belgian tape method). But a nice 24mm tubular provides a sublime ride. Until 2010, when carbon rims finally became more the norm than the exception in Paris Roubaix, the Nemesis rims were probably the most used and rebranded rims in the event. Yes, they may be relatively heavy at over 1700g for the configuration I described above, but they are just a really nice set of classic wheels, and pretty much bullet proof.

Curious about the pics of the wheels above... can’t really tell but upon a closer look at the spoke holes in the hub it looks as though they may have been relaced in a different orientation than original? I ask because it looks like there might be some divots in the hub where the previous spokes lied, but I can’t say for sure and I might just not be seeing it very clearly.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:58 am 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:32 am 

I'm starting to think people give up too quickly on carbon braking and just resign themselves to it being very subpar compared to alloy. I bought Rsys SLR to hit that holy grail for commuting and I was not impressed. There was more initial modulation than my regular setup on EE brakes - probably not more than the same wheels and pads on Campy calipers - but the overall power was not so impressive. Definitely not enough to offset the noisy braking and the super expensive pads.

I'm pretty settled on Knight > Reynolds > Campy for my braking experience. From Ryan's feedback, I would assume the new Mavic surface will outperform Reynolds... but Knight is outstanding (Alto's ludicrous testing methods be damned).

Retired:
Blue | Project C6.0 | Felt AR FRD | Colnago C59 NERO | 2014 S-Works Tarmac | S-Works Venge | Wilier Cento Uno SL | Tarmac SL2

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous 121 22 23 24 2527 Next