Ridley Helium SL TDF Retro Edition (2015)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

lego

by lego

Hi guys!

I'm new here, my name is Jon and I'm 32 years old living in Sweden.

After selling my Bianchi Infinito CV (6850 gr) a month ago I was set to buy a Lotto Soudal teambike from 2016...

But after lurking around on ebay for a while I found the frameset of my dreams, a Ridley Helium SL (small) frameset that was a spare for the Lotto Soudal team in 2015 yrs Tour de France. The seller is actually working for Ridley and building the bikes for the team.

Currently waiting for a lot of parts to arrive, this is how the first setup will be:
Frameset: Ridley Helium SL 2015 in small
Headset: FSA that comes with the frameset, "slam that stem" dust cover
Seatpost: Deda Superzero 21mm Setback (27.2 mm 350 mm) (carbon)
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR carbonio (shaved) (saved that from the Bianchi)
Stem: Deda Zero100 Team 130 mm -20 degrees (aluminium)
Bar: Deda Zero 100 Bars (420 mm outside-outside) (aluminium)
Bar tape: Supacaz Super Sticky Kush (black)
Bottle cages: Thinking of something retro like these
Cables: Alligator I-link (black)
Brakes: Campagnolo Super record 11
Front derailleur: Campagnolo Super record 11 with chaincatcher
Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Super record 11
Crankset: Rotor 3DF 52/36 172.5 mm
Bottom Bracket: Not yet decided
Chain: KMC 11 SL
Shifters: Campagnolo Super record 11 with the upgraded 2015- hoods
Cassette: Miche Primato light 12-25
Wheelset: Campagnolo Bullet 50 clinchers
Skewer: Campy
Tires: Clement Strada LGG 25 mm gumwall
Pedals: Garmin Vector 2

I guess that will be the first setup. I'm buying a new wheelset soon also, and the biggest question is if I should buy a used set of Bora ultra clinchers or a new set of Bora One clinchers. How deep they will be isn't really decided yet either, what would you go for? As you might guessed already this will not be a dedicated low weight build at first, but if I know my self right that could change quite fast. ;)

Hopefully all components will arrive this coming week so I get to try the bike next weekend or so. Don't hesitate to ask or comment.

Cheers!

*Edit: New links to the pictures
Last edited by lego on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:09 am, edited 7 times in total.
Cheers!
- Jon Olsson - SHCK - We're only here for the beer/gear!

KarlC

by KarlC

Great story but where's the photos ?
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lego

by lego

KarlC wrote:Great story but where's the photos ?

Found a better host for the photos. As soon as I will start building the bike (hopefully monday) I will post more pictures.

Some stuff that will be on included in the build:

Cheers!

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Love those frames!!

Bely

by Bely

These are my fave Ridley frame sets!! Congrats! This is gonna be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

mrgray

by mrgray

i love these frames and have often almost bought one, only to think at the last minute, should an 88 kg person ride one? best paint job ever if you ask me.

it has to have 50 mm bora's please.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Willier

by Willier

nice! Can not waaaaait to see it built

p.s Shamal mille with gum sidewals tires would look nice

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I also love that frame and colorway. Looking forward to this!

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Nice frame; I like the retro look, albeit newer. Have fun with the build!
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

lego

by lego

Thanks guys, I'm sure this will be epic... ;)

Bely wrote:These are my fave Ridley frame sets!! Congrats! This is gonna be great!

Yeah, my favorite as well, the slim seatstays and the round top tube is so hot!

mrgray wrote:i love these frames and have often almost bought one, only to think at the last minute, should an 88 kg person ride one? best paint job ever if you ask me.

it has to have 50 mm bora's please.

Go for it, buy one before it's to late. :)

Yeah, I guess it has to have Boras at least, and the 80 gr weight deficit over 35 mm is worth it I guess... Afterall, I live in one of the flatter parts of Sweden. ;)

Willier wrote:nice! Can not waaaaait to see it built

p.s Shamal mille with gum sidewals tires would look nice

I've had the Shamal mille in mind as well, but I'm not sure about the braking surface, I've heard that it wears out quite fast... (?)

--------------------------------
This morning I woke up by a knock at the door, and outside there was a courier with a big box. In that box I found this;

I also recieved a matching jersey today, a Rapha Country jersey:

But hey, this is a bike thread, not a fashion show...

I couldn't wait so I took the frameset down to the bike shop where I work sometimes and cut the fork (saved 25 mm or so), mounted the headset with a "slam that stem"-cover. The owner helped me press the pf30 bb into the frame, never had a bike with pressfit bearings :\ and mounted the rotor crankset.

Then I took it home, put it on a wheelset that was laying around. Fitted the Deda zero100 team stem and a random seatpost. Roughly adjusted the saddle height and look, it looks like even Adam Hansen would approve this drop. Maybe my back wont approve though, but if thats the case I just buy a -8 degree stem or so. Think it will be all right, it's kind of the same drop and reach as my other bike. Time will tell, to much words now, here is a photo of it:

fitted the front derailleur and when trying to fit the rear I noticed this:
the pivot sleeve on my Campy SR rear mech was damaged, I'm currently searching for a new pivot sleeve in Sweden, but I guess I'll have to order it from somewhere in EUR. bougth the groupset used and I guess I should have inspected it better.

now I need some advice, I have two bottle cages in mind; first Tacx Deva carbon, a great cage, really nothing to complain about. or the "titanium" cages that adds a bit more to the retro look.
I guess the weight is about the same...

I really hope that my seatpost and bars arrive tomorrow... ;)
Cheers!

CaptainP

by CaptainP

100% titanium cages!

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Carbon cage...titanium cages look weird on anything other than Ti or steel bikes IMO...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Love the frame. Really enjoyed seeing them in the 2015 Tour. Been staring at the pic of your rear derailleur. Unless you got that for next to nothing (as is) I'd be pretty pissed at the seller and at least try contacting them to see if they own up to it and do the right thing (i.e., give you your money back). Almost looks like maybe it was purposely modified? Can't really tell.
In any case, very nice choice on the frame and build. Looking forward to seeing it all done. But unless you really need that kind of drop I'd be wary of slamming that stem just yet, especially with the -17. Ouch! You even said that you're not sure about how your back will like it. My advice... If you're not absolutely sure, start high. It's easy to go down. Not easy to add more steertube once cut.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

lego

by lego

CaptainP wrote:100% titanium cages!

I think so too but everyone is voting for carbon... Hm...

Wingnut wrote:Carbon cage...titanium cages look weird on anything other than Ti or steel bikes IMO...

This decision will be the hardest of all I guess ;)

Calnago wrote:Love the frame. Really enjoyed seeing them in the 2015 Tour. Been staring at the pic of your rear derailleur. Unless you got that for next to nothing (as is) I'd be pretty pissed at the seller and at least try contacting them to see if they own up to it and do the right thing (i.e., give you your money back). Almost looks like maybe it was purposely modified? Can't really tell.
In any case, very nice choice on the frame and build. Looking forward to seeing it all done. But unless you really need that kind of drop I'd be wary of slamming that stem just yet, especially with the -17. Ouch! You even said that you're not sure about how your back will like it. My advice... If you're not absolutely sure, start high. It's easy to go down. Not easy to add more steertube once cut.

I think you're right, the seller knew what he sold. Unfortunately I bought this groupset a year ago on ebay and should've inspected it better then. But I guess you're right, I should send him a mail and see if he knew about it.

And about the huge drop, I'm not really sure that I could ride with that. Thats why I saved 25 mm on the steertube, will try it out a lot before I cut any more. and the stem? -20 degrees actually ;)
Jumped on the bike a quickie tonight and the drop doesnt feel all to huge, but as said, time will tell ;)

Quite used to big drops after my sparebike;
---------------------------------------------------------
This morning I got the seatpost and handlebar. I started to mount the shifters and threading the alligator i-link kits, the brake kit went just fine. Supernice stuff. But when I got to the shifters there was this problem with the cable guide under the bottombracket, when snapping it into place I somehow damaged the teflon housing. :(
Will buy some new housings but for now I just cut of the bad part of housing and go housingless inside the frame. Hooked up the front derailleur and now it's just the long wait for the rear derailleur spare part.

Recieved a Fetha garmin mount also, really like this product:

Frameprotectors in a Belgian theme

Sorry for the lousy photos, when I got my screen repaired at Sony service center they managed to put a fingerprint on the inside of my camera lens ;( Haven't had the time to get that fixed...
Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nobuseri

by nobuseri

There we go. :)

Legit drop just like Hansen on the same frame. Props!

I ride a pretty decent drop on stock frames, as well. Looking good so far.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc