Ridley Helium SL TDF Retro Edition (2015)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

reedplayer

by reedplayer

love the helium. saddle postion a bit unusual, but if it fits the rider, everything ok.

lego

by lego

reedplayer wrote:love the helium. saddle postion a bit unusual, but if it fits the rider, everything ok.

Thanks. You're right, it looks a bit strange and I've tried to make changes a few times, but keeps getting back to this position. It has a bit to do with the rail position (the part of the saddle I'm in differs 10 mm from my other saddle, so I guess the rails are offset with 10 mm or so) on the saddle and my cleat position (as far back as possible). To have the kneecap vertical to the pedal axle means it just has to be this position. [WINKING FACE]
Cheers!
- Jon Olsson - SHCK - We're only here for the beer/gear!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Great ride! IMHO Ridley's have the best frame geo and handling out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lego

by lego

ultyguy wrote:Great ride! IMHO Ridley's have the best frame geo and handling out there.

Thanks! So far I really like both of the Ridleys a lot. Stiff but still forgiving when there's bad roads.

Might have a bit to do with the 28 mm tires I've been using the last month. My plan is to ride the Fenix SL with 28-30 mm and the Helium SL with 25 mm so I guess that time will tell ;)
Cheers!

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I'm thinking about a Fenix SL myself. Is yours built? Frame weight?

lego

by lego

I bought it last week with a full Ultegra groupset, but changing to Campagnolo Record and rotor crankset this weekend I think. No idea what the frameweight is, but I doubt that it's any lighter than the 1010 gram that Ridley specifies. With a 370 gram fork as well it's far away from any lightweight build ;) I hope I could get it to be a sub 8 kg build with robust wheels.
Cheers!

roadhog44

by roadhog44

Great Thread. Great Bikes too!

I've built a Helium SL with Chorus EPS and Shamal Milles to exactly 6.8kg (size XS) Agree with ultyguy in that Ridley's have real sharp handling AND a great ride quality too!

Funnily enough...I'm thinking of getting a Fenix SL too to replace my winter and Intermediate bike so will follow this with interest :)

lego

by lego

You're right guys, really like how the Ridleys handle. Also think they absorb bad road surfaces quite well.

The Fenix SL got a new handlebar, tape and the Campagnolo groupset installed. Feels like a total different bike now and even though I liked it before it just became so much better. Guess it's the Campy fanboy in me [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Bought the Deda Zero 100 shallow bars btw.

Will install the rotor crankset in the coming week, had to order the Rotor pf41 bottom bracket to use the 30 mm spindle crankset.

Been riding the Fenix a few days now and it really comes alive on rough roads. We don't have that much cobbles in Sweden, but loads of gravelroads and that suits this bike really nice. Image

Skickat från min D5803 via Tapatalk
Cheers!

lego

by lego

De-shimano-fied. But the former owner have used some strong degreaser on the Rotor crankset and it have lost some of the logo. Thinking of painting it all black later on. Now I need to figure out what length of stem to use. Image
Cheers!

lego

by lego

A few changes...

Wheel-upgrade: HED Ardennes+ LT
Changed the handlebars to the narrower 400 mm (380 mm c-c) Deda Zero100
Changed to a Deda Zero100 120 mm stem
Back with my old Selle Italia SLR Carbonio saddle.
Power2max Type C powermeter.
Look keo blade Ti pedals.

This bike is so awesome to ride...

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk
Cheers!

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Looks great! I'd love one of these frames, I have such a soft spot for them.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

I'm digging the wheel choice
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

lego

by lego

rossjm11 wrote:I'm digging the wheel choice

Yeah, actually bought these wheels for the Fenix SL, but after riding them a bit I don't really want to change back to the Campagnolo Bullets. Was planning to buy the Campy Shamal C17's for this bike but don't really know if 60-80 grams lighter wheels will make the bike much better. I think the 21 mm internal width of the HEDs makes more sense then 60-80 gram lower weight (at least for my kind of riding). Bought them from a friend at a very fair price as well, if I would buy a new set though I think I would go for the HED Ardennes+ SL instead.

burglarboycie wrote:Looks great! I'd love one of these frames, I have such a soft spot for them.

Thanks! Best bike I've ridden, just so smooth but still so stiff where it matters!
Cheers!

Hastur

by Hastur

Looks really good! Digging the "retro" color scheme! :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Would love to see a photo of the rider on the helium, in the drops. That is the most extreme setup I think I have ever seen. OK, so super high saddle but also shoved all the way forward? So does this mean a super long lower legs, short femurs, tiny feet, short torso, and then crazy long gorilla arms? And the saddle is tilted nose down? Even with the cleat position and saddle rail issue something is not quite right. The whole thing is just weird looking.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.