Canyon Aeroad 9 CF SLX LS

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

CarbonSteve

by CarbonSteve

Hi guys just had delivered my Canyon Aeroad CF SLX LS size XS, i have been chewing the idea of getting one for about four month, but trying to find an unbiased and down to earth hands on review was difficult, most reviews were from test riders of magazines etc and if you were to go by those guys you would be buying all kinds of bikes as they never really seam to bad mouth any thing, or on the other hand there is the casual cyclist who does 100 mile a week and jumps of an aluminium shopping bike onto one of these and of course its going to be like a rocket as they've never experienced a good bike to start with, please dont think im undermining any body, every one has there opinion and you write with the experience or exuberance that you feel and i accept that.

I have been riding for seven years and racing for 4 years in the LVRC as I'm a veteran 52 years young, had some good results this year always in top ten mainly top five and best result third getting faster each year, and my current bike 2015 BMC SLR01 Shimano 9000 DI2 Zipp 404 so an excellent pro level bike, so i know seven years is not a lot of experience as most of my piers have been at it since they were out of nappies, but enough i feel to point certain people in the right direction, so with mixed feeling and trepidation i did the plunge and ordered a Canyon Aeroad 9 CF SLX LS with Shimano DI2 Arione 5 saddle and Mavic Cosmic Exalith wheels £4899, i mention the saddle and the wheels as this is the only difference on the Canyon Aeroad 9 CF SLX LTD which it has 404 Firestrike and Fizike Arione 3 saddle evrything else is identical to my bike except the price £7699, thats £2800 difference, i have seen the saddle at £130 and the Firestrike at £1950 so the figures didnt add up for me hence i went for the cheaper option as i have already got 2016 Zipp 404 and was always going to use my own saddle, and need to mention the frames are all identical in the 9 range just the components are different, checked this out with Canyon to begin with

I Ordered the bike using the geometry tool on the Canyon website and it came back as saying i need XS knowing the geometry was totally different to my BMC there was a bit of aprehention, but though well if i dont like it or it dont fit Canyon give you 30 days return, so Wednesday 24th August ordered online and it was delivered Wednesday 31st August, how efficient are those Germans, very easy to build up had it done in half an hour, set the bike up to my BMC measurments and had a little tootal round the block, came back and lowered the bars, did this on two occasions to where i had them an inch lower, the geometry is so much different to my BMC that it feels comfortable to be lower down on the drops.

So with it set up i had a little test ride for an hour, the bars are 390 on the hoods and taper to 400 on the drops which im used to riding S Works shallow compact 420, so this made the bike feel quite twitchy to begin with, i know we all get excited on our new bikes the placebo effect so on and so on, but this bike did feel slippery through the wind and fast as hell, i had to seriously hold my self back, as this was a Wednesday my rtest day i had done 120 mile over the weekend and a 70 mile ride Tuesday so i wasn't on the freshest of legs and knowing i had a 60 mile club ride the next day, but i thought what the hell cant help my self,i did a segment on the chain gang route bit of a down hill and then flat and up hill about a mile long, the KOM was 26.4mph which obviously would have been some one on the gang, i did it in 25.4mph 11th overall, i ride this segment quite often and the uphill i was doing 22mph all the way, never have i felt so fast on a bike up there, ok so i had a tailwind of about 8 mph, but that doesnt give you 3.4mph faster than your previous best

I had to then compose my self after my giddy fit, and carry on riding to see how it felt, but no matter where i rode it it just wanted to be thrashed, im 9 stone 9llb about 62KG in new money so dont go down hill that quick due to my weight, but this thing was just rolling so fast on the down hill faster than ive ever done before, now ive read all the reviews of the pro so test pilots and they all say its a missile it wants to be thrashed every where i can sit on 20mph without thinking about it.... yes yes yes, but there not lying its bloody true, you can sit at 20 mph withiout thinking about it it does want to nailed all the time, ive had top of the range bikes Time RXR, Look 695, BMC SLR 01 and now this frigging thing, ita a missile, and this is just after an hours ride.

As for the weight its on par with the BMC cant feel any difference, the frame is supper stiff stiffer than anything ive ridden but yet very comfortable, how you explain that one away god knows, i did a couple of sprints and it stayed planted no skittering about at all, wheres as the BMC was always jumping about a bit, the agressive position is very comfortable especially on the hoods and you feel like riding on the drops more than you would normally, oh and the sprint shifters are an absolute must have, the quality of the frame is excellent, it looks agressive feels agressive and rides like a nutter.

Did the club ride today met the guys at the cafe as i wanted to ride in on my own incase of any tweeking that might have been needed, all seamed fine, did nothing fancy on the bike steady away as im planning on nailing it on a 55mile training ride saturday morning on my own, it still feels twitchy but that i will get used to and very comfortable to ride, can usually get a bit of neck ache but nothing at all, I'm utterly impressed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zebra

by zebra

Can't believe I just read all this and then no picture. Good story.

sawyer

by sawyer

OP- get some pics up man!

I got one of these in Spring last year (on here somwhere) ... you are absolutely right. It is a missle

I ride with the same guys on a club ride once (or more) a week, and jumping on this vs another high end bike from my stable is like having been away for a week's training, complete with massage, lots of sleep at altitude, nd then a couple of rest days afterwards

It's a battering ram ..
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

CarbonSteve

by CarbonSteve

zebra wrote:Can't believe I just read all this and then no picture. Good story.

Hi ive tried to upload pictures but cant seam to do so

CarbonSteve

by CarbonSteve

sawyer wrote:OP- get some pics up man!

I got one of these in Spring last year (on here somwhere) ... you are absolutely right. It is a missle

I ride with the same guys on a club ride once (or more) a week, and jumping on this vs another high end bike from my stable is like having been away for a week's training, complete with massage, lots of sleep at altitude, nd then a couple of rest days afterwards

It's a battering ram ..

Great analogy battering ram, doing a hill climb this Wednesday night and first road race this Sunday on it, each time i ride it my smile gets bigger