Godzuki26 Wife's Cannondale Evo HiMod 48cm build [3.96 kg] or [8.73 lbs]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I would have to agree that low profile wheels will look much nicer on this build.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

+1 for me:)

High 5 Godzuki

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I got my Extralite UltraTop 42. A small weight savings of 12 grams over the 25 grams on the Cannondale upper :hmm: When adding the factory Cannondale bottom assembly, it weighs 40 grams. Every gram counts I guess.

UltraTop 42

Factory Cannondale bearing for bottom assembly

Headset complete
Last edited by godzuki26 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

dj97223

by dj97223

How about a mid-profile, like a Bora 35 or the Fulcrum 40? Light enough, looks sorta deep, and deals well with cross-winds. The new, wider rim will help a bit with stability/handling.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

roelez

by roelez

Hello mate, may i ask about how you sanding those fork? [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES], im planning to get a supersix evo fork for my caad12 and take off the paint.

thanks a lot

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@dj97223 - I have some different depth wheelsets that I will experiment with including some mid-profile wheels. I will take pics with all so people can give their opinion on what looks better. Ultimately, it is her decision so I will have to see how it ends up.

@roelez - Sanding is not that difficult as long as you commit to it and do it with no fear. It is always scary sanding down to carbon for the first time but as you do it more it is not technical at all. I have tried razor blading, using CarboLift, and using sand paper. The razor blading takes an extreme amount of patience and a very steady hand. For me, I am too anxious of a person and cannot work like that. As for Carbolift, it is complete garbage as it is too weak to do anything. I have used it in multiple layers on my Scott and all it did was create a bloody mess and waste a ton of time. So, for me I like to use sand paper. Here is how I do it.

1.Start with 100 grit sand paper.
2.Have a spray bottle filled with water.
3.As you sand, spray off the carbon surface as well as the sandpaper to keep it free of debris.
4.Continue sanding through the clear coat with some elbow grease.
5.You will notice a white milky color as you spray fork off with water spray bottle.
6.When you start to see some dark gray, then you know you are past the clear coat.
7.Switch to 400 grit sand paper and continue the same process with sanding and spraying.
8.Keep the 400 grit sand paper as clean as possible by regularly spraying the debris off.
9.Once you get to the bare carbon, follow up with 1500 grit sand paper to smooth things out.

Very simple. My first fork took me 4 hours because I was too concerned about damaging the carbon underneath. However, by the time I did this fork, it took me only about an hour.

Edit:

10. Don't forget to use plastic gloves. It dries your hands out so be careful......oh and don't breath in the dust!

ImageFelt AR FRD

roelez

by roelez

Thanks a lot for the advice , do the carbon need a recoating or they'll fine with bare carbon ,

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

It is fine with the bare carbon

eins4eins

by eins4eins

the carbon structure/integrity gets not damaged when you sand it?
i mean, you can't prevent to sand off a little from the carbon when trying to get a smooth surface.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

eins4eins wrote:the carbon structure/integrity gets not damaged when you sand it?
i mean, you can't prevent to sand off a little from the carbon when trying to get a smooth surface.

If you pay extra attention to step 6 you'll just skim it. And you won't damage the integrity of your frame with some tiny scratches.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I decided to ditch the Ax Lightness Aluminum brake shoes. They are heavy. I am going to use some carbon brake shoes with the matching 3k weave. I think my wife would appreciate this look more anyways. I am not going to take KCNC brake shoes and tune them down like I did for the Litespeed. I think the tuned KCNC shoes look cool, but my wife will hate it because the sanded metal will not match the carbon. At 116 grams for her set, it is light enough. For those who haven't seen the Litespeed thread I got mine down to 98 grams. I will also not be using PowerCordz on her bike. She will get titanium brake cables.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

ATMOS

by ATMOS

Any updates on the build? :up:

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

WHere are the carbon brake shoes from?

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Hello everyone. It has been a while. I have not updated because I am still waiting for the frame to return from paint. I am being told that I should get it back this week.

The carbon shoes are from Carbonworks. They are the same company that makes the cool looking 5 gram carbon bottle cages. They used to list these carbon shoes on eBay a couple years ago but seemed to have stopped making them.

ImageFelt AR FRD

KarlC

by KarlC

godzuki26 wrote:I decided to ditch the Ax Lightness Aluminum brake shoes. They are heavy. I am going to use some carbon brake shoes with the matching 3k weave. I think my wife would appreciate this look more anyways. I am not going to take KCNC brake shoes and tune them down like I did for the Litespeed. I think the tuned KCNC shoes look cool, but my wife will hate it because the sanded metal will not match the carbon. At 116 grams for her set, it is light enough. For those who haven't seen the Litespeed thread I got mine down to 98 grams. I will also not be using PowerCordz on her bike. She will get titanium brake cables.

Did you see this ......

Fuchspk wrote:Could not resist and will use my own Brakeshoes as it saves 35g to the AX Brakeshoes

Imagetmp_9084-_K__07381293236605 by Philipp Klement, on Flickr

Fuchspk wrote:I made the shoes out of carbon. They have UD inside and a aluminium piece where the screw sits and than a carbonfiber tube around the UD and aluminium piece to hold everything together as the carbon tube has 90/0°
Than i glued corkpads to the carbon.
Testet quite a lot different cork and some are way to soft but found one now which works.

Looks like this just that i have new bigger pads on the brakes now
Imagepad by Philipp Klement, on Flickr
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com