Godzuki26 Wife's Cannondale Evo HiMod 48cm build [3.96 kg] or [8.73 lbs]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

godzuki26 wrote:She is not allowed to run spacers under the stem. It must look good. It must be slammed. She does Yoga and Crossfit so she is getting into a pro position whether she likes it or not. Lol. She thinks cycling is easy. She needs to be schooled.

I am really enjoying watching this bike develop, but this above comment has been bothering me.
Deciding on someone's fit for them before they even have a chance to ride the bike or understand how it handles is a big risk.
It might work out for her, but it also has the potential to turn her against cycling irrevocably and impact you directly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

godzuki26

by godzuki26

You may be right but I also have some high expectations from my wife. She is very fit and getting into an athletic position should not be an issue for her. She is also very flexible and can touch her palms on the floor as well as do the splits. Gymnastics and track sprinter as a kid.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

lw11

by lw11

Godzuki26 I hope that

a) your wife appreciates the time and effort you have put into this build
b) she likes cycling, because you're doing a hell of a lot of work which could very well all be for nothing after one ride

gfeldy

by gfeldy

Cannondale used a lot of filler on my Scalpel or I would've only asked for a matte clear. Essentially they only added black around the joints that had a lot of filler, everywhere else was just matte clear.
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
S Works Epic HT Blurple tuned
Kitsbow
S Works Epic Blurple tuned - Sold :doh:
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@gfeldy - your Scalpel looks very clean and nice. I love it :thumbup: Right now I am working through the filler near the joints to expose all the dark gray carbon. To be honest, it does not look very pretty. There are mixtures of UD and 3K all mashed together with no uniform pattern. I think my wife will not like this look...... However, I absolutely love the imperfections of the raw carbon. I am not feeling the pinkish filler I am exposing. I will need a way to cover that somehow. I am currently at 683 grams with maybe another 5 to 10 grams left to sand off. I shall post some picks when finished sanding. I am still leaning towards a semi gloss or matt clear coat.

@lw11 - I think she will like cycling. I am beginning to like this frame because it is lighter than any frame I have ever owned. Too bad it is too small for me if things don't work out..... But it shall workout :thumbup:

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Wholly crap this frame is light. I am down to 672 grams right now with still more to sand. This is a tiring process but I am very pleased with the weight so far. I wonder if I can get the weight down to 666 grams? I should know by tomorrow.

So Cannondale stopped making the Nano which uses the special resin that they say saves another 50 grams. I wonder what a stripped Cannondale Evo Nano weighs? Has anybody tried? Cannondale stated it is a 655 gram frame but I have not seen it on a scale. They say that for 2017, the Evo frame is heavier than the HiMod from prior years......but the 2017 fork is lighter by 30 grams. I would love to get my hands on a 2017 fork for this build. Wife's is at 284 cut and stripped which is not that great compared to my Ax fork that weighs 228 grams.

ImageFelt AR FRD

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

The problem with the 2017 fork is that it uses an integrated crown race, not sure how well that would interface with the frame, probably not at all.

deltree

by deltree

Also dudemanppl's fork is 272g, cooper's is 250g and mine is 260g. Quite a variance. Could save 35g, could save hardly anything.

xena
Banned

by xena

:thumbup:
godzuki26 wrote:Wholly crap this frame is light. I am down to 672 grams right now with still more to sand. This is a tiring process but I am very pleased with the weight so far. I wonder if I can get the weight down to 666 grams? I should know by tomorrow.

So Cannondale stopped making the Nano which uses the special resin that they say saves another 50 grams. I wonder what a stripped Cannondale Evo Nano weighs? Has anybody tried? Cannondale stated it is a 655 gram frame but I have not seen it on a scale. They say that for 2017, the Evo frame is heavier than the HiMod from prior years......but the 2017 fork is lighter by 30 grams. I would love to get my hands on a 2017 fork for this build. Wife's is at 284 cut and stripped which is not that great compared to my Ax fork that weighs 228 grams.

666 , that would be sweet. Have you now a finished weight in mind. It must be tempting to start chasing the 4k mark again.
Great stuff
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Dear Lord! I am exhausted. I am not finished and can probably take another 5 grams off this thing. I need a break right now but I hit the 666 gram mark today. I will keep going and will post the final weight in due time. I think this will be under 660 grams when completed. I still have a lot of rough areas throughout the frame especially in the junction areas.

@Xena - I think sub 4.00 kg will not be a problem all depending on the wheelset used. I have never owned a frame this light and this gives me a very good start. In reference here are some of my frame weights:

2008 Litespeed Ghisallo small - 782 grams
2009 Scott Addict HMX w ISP medium (fully sanded) - 767 grams
2014 BH Ultralight small - 822 grams

Last edited by godzuki26 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

That looks awesome!! Some matte clear over it when your done and it'll look great. I'll echo what others have said above, this is the best/most fun topic on here in a while. Can't wait to see more.

defride

by defride

godzuki26 wrote:Wholly crap this frame is light. I am down to 672 grams right now with still more to sand. This is a tiring process but I am very pleased with the weight so far. I wonder if I can get the weight down to 666 grams? I should know by tomorrow.

My 54 Nano was 703g with everything off except the FD mount. Fork cut to 10mm above stem, can't remember the exact length, was 285g

You can see the carbon lay up under the paint so assumed it was a very thin layer, however, I've managed to pick up a small paint chip on one of seat stays which suggests the paint is a little thicker than I'd thought.

Kudos to you for all that sanding, look forward to seeing the finished build

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Dude! Leave it at 666! "6! 6! 6! The Evo of The Beast!"

AUOC1OC6

by AUOC1OC6

666g! :twisted: From 732g to 666g.. That's devilish! :evil:
AUOC1OC6
--------------------
AX Lightness Vial Evo D http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138599
Corima Puma
Giant MCR 2 (retired)
Trek Y Glide Deluxe MTB

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@Defride - thanks for sharing that information on the Nano. 703 grams is super light! Especially in a 54. My wife's frame also appeared to have a light layer of paint because the layup was also visible underneath the paint/clearcoat. However, once I started sanding I could not believe how thick the clearcoat was along with all the crap underneath it. The light gray material is filler and removing it has been taking me the longest time. I had the same grayish material on my Scott Addict and I was able to remove it all with the same amount of effort. Once clear coated, the frame looked as good ad new. So all that light gray material you see in the bottom bracket area will get removed......hopefully by next week.

@AUOC1OC6 - 666 was a goal I had in mind and I was sanding to get that number. Probably not the best approach because I was removing material to chase a weight rather than removing material to make something look good.....I need to be a little more careful once I move over to her component tuning. As Xena said, the tuning force is in me. Lol

ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com